IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

4 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Based on what? Me eking my way through Captain America? It's luckily easy to farm extra credits. The game is only about an hour long, but it took me about four this afternoon.

No, based on you finishing 150+ NES games. Finishing games and playing them for a score are different, but you might have fun.

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never played Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but it seems like the AVGN review wasn't an exaggeration as to how bad it is.

Jekyll & Hyde is a lot like Chubby Cherub in the sense that it has some weird idiosyncracies and play-mechanics that are challenging to learn and get used to, but once you understand how the game works, it ends up being a lot better than all the "I died on level one and turned it off" dudes say it is...

• Like 1

Played a few hours of Cobra Command today. I was actually kind of enjoying it, except for the fact that I'm terrible at shooting games, but I was starting to get the hang of it. Then I got to the submarine which fires 3 or 4 homing missiles at you at once, tried it a few times, and decided it was total BS I was not willing to try to learn. Someone else can enjoy that nonsense, it went right back to my shelf.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Jekyll & Hyde is a lot like Chubby Cherub in the sense that it has some weird idiosyncracies and play-mechanics that are challenging to learn and get used to, but once you understand how the game works, it ends up being a lot better than all the "I died on level one and turned it off" dudes say it is...

Interesting. I figured it was one of those games that's so broken that you are lucky to get through the first stage.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 566/677
14 hours ago, Khromak said:

Played a few hours of Cobra Command today. I was actually kind of enjoying it, except for the fact that I'm terrible at shooting games, but I was starting to get the hang of it. Then I got to the submarine which fires 3 or 4 homing missiles at you at once, tried it a few times, and decided it was total BS I was not willing to try to learn. Someone else can enjoy that nonsense, it went right back to my shelf.

No problems, bro.

Cobra Command is done.

This was a game I grew up with, so the early stages are a cakewalk for me. It only takes about half an hour when you know what you're doing. But the last stage is hard enough to give me some anxiety, so I always wait until late in the list to pick this one up again. Today, I actually beat the whole last stage on one life. I don't think I've ever got the final boss of this game on my first try before, but I'm not arguing with it.

If you ever want to try it again someday, I highly recommend "Admiral"'s walkthrough on GameFAQs. There are a lot of asinine death traps on especially the last level, but I always cracked up at his summary from the walkthrough:

"The foes here are much closer to a final castle in Super Mario Brothers – fireballs, spinning fire chains, numerous traps, etc."

He's right. Enemy HQ is a fucking bizarre place in Cobra Command.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I'll be messing around with Ren & Stimpy and Tom & Jerry. I've played bits-and-pieces of each, but never wanted to dedicate the time to finishing either because of the various problems they have. I think if I alternate between the two hopefully I can keep myself from burning out on either.

Good luck, dude. I've never beaten either game, but have put some time into both. They are interesting but flawed. Did you ever pick up Destiny of an Emperor? I think you mentioned it previously, but I haven't seen any updates.

I was just doing some math, and I'm currently 93 points away from scoring 5000 in the eight-year history of this competition in the points era. It would be awesome to hit that milestone this year, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off given how few games are left that I can reliably beat. It would certainly be a hell of an achievement, though.

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Did you ever pick up Destiny of an Emperor? I think you mentioned it previously, but I haven't seen any updates.

I didn't ever start it...though I may still consider it. It may just be the way they were written but...I was reading some FAQs for the game and the mechanics just seemed absurdly complicated. I'm not sure how much you have to master the intricacies of the way combat works to just complete the game, but it was a bit intimidating for me.

I agree both games I'm currently working on are wonky and obnoxious, but with infinite continues (R&S) I think I can eventually beat it, frustrating and dumb as it may be. IDR if Tom & Jerry has limited continues or not; if there's a limit on lives & continues that one might beat me before I beat it 😄

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 570/677

And Mad Max is done as well! I somehow lucked out and beat the final boss on my second try. Ducking and jumping makes all the difference. Also, you can land almost a dozen hits on him at the start of the battle when he crawls up from the pit and onto the bridge. You just have to make sure that you don't fall off the bridge yourself and then pump him with crossbows. I would also highly recommend to visit all four hideouts on Road War 3, so that you can collect all of the crossbows to make the final battle a bit easier. Nothings more frustrating than almost killing the boss and then running out of quarrels.

Md Max.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

And Mad Max is done as well! I somehow lucked out and beat the final boss on my second try. Ducking and jumping makes all the difference. Also, you can land almost a dozen hits on him at the start of the battle when he crawls up from the pit and onto the bridge. You just have to make sure that you don't fall off the bridge yourself and then pump him with crossbows. I would also highly recommend to visit all four hideouts on Road War 3, so that you can collect all of the crossbows to make the final battle a bit easier. Nothings more frustrating than almost killing the boss and then running out of quarrels.

Md Max.jpg

Terrible game, but especially terrible since the final password is messed up and doesn't work, so you have to use the 2nd to last password and do a bunch of stuff over, if you fail to beat the final boss. And like Ikari Warriors 2, it's an annoying fight where it's easy to die really quick.

I just finished Wayne's World. Unsurprisingly the people who programmed this game who couldn't figure out how to code a competent platformer also decided to have an end screen which lasts 5 seconds, so I didn't get a picture. Maybe I'll go back and beat it again because I'm collecting the pictures for myself, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

It's a short game, thankfully, but the controls are just...so bad. The graphics are pretty awful as well, and the gameplay is super basic. All you ever do is kick, shoot, and jump. There's a reason this one has a bad reputation, and it deserves it.