IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

@Foochie776 Yeah the Mobys are an interesting idea and they implemented them in a few different unique ways, but sometimes I had the answer but struggled to implement it. Even outside of those particular enemies, a lot of stages require really quick turns and tricky timing. I think the thing that frustrated me the most is the amount of kill/blocking you have to do, and random boating you have to do in exactly the right square of water. There's a lot of trial and error. As you said, it's really not too bad for the first 5 or 10 levels, but then eventually it just gets ridiculous.

Solar Jetman

This one is on my list of worst nes games, i understand the idea is that the ship is difficult to control but having to thrust using select+B but then also having to use the control pad to steer makes no sense because i only have two thumbs. The instant you let go of select to touch the control pad the planet gravity starts pulling differently because you're now only holding B which is just the regular engine.  Basically most times you try to change direction you go smashing into a wall or crashing into the planet surface.  Also if you want to put your shields on you press down and to turn them off you press up, cause you know the buttons might never be accidentally pressed when you're trying to rotate your ship.

IMG_6690.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Solar Jetman

This one is on my list of worst nes games, i understand the idea is that the ship is difficult to control but having to thrust using select+B but then also having to use the control pad to steer makes no sense because i only have two thumbs. The instant you let go of select to touch the control pad the planet gravity starts pulling differently because you're now only holding B which is just the regular engine.  Basically most times you try to change direction you go smashing into a wall or crashing into the planet surface.  Also if you want to put your shields on you press down and to turn them off you press up, cause you know the buttons might never be accidentally pressed when you're trying to rotate your ship.

IMG_6690.jpg

Using Select or Start for any sort of function other than loading a menu or saving/pausing a game is one of the worst sins of NES game design.

Hope you are enjoying kicking back in your LUXURY GOLDEN WARPSHIP!

14 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Solar Jetman

IMG_6690.jpg

Yeah I watched a Twitch streamer spend days playing through this and he couldn't stand it. It looks super tedious and annoying.

Just beat Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but I didn't get the good ending unfortunately. I hope this still counts. Anyway, terrible and awful game, but I've experienced worse at this point. This is at least playable even if it's extremely tedious, nonsensical and obnoxious.

@Strikezone1

Mission: Impossible is indeed very tough, but at least it gives you unlimited continues so that you can try over and over again. The problem however is that the levels tend to be extremely long. 20 to 30 minutes for a single level is normal for this game. So whenever you fail at a specific difficult spot then you have to do all of that over again. It requires a lot of memorization and learning the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. It also has a lot of cheap deaths, so be prepared for a lot of frustration.

jekyll and mr hyde.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't had much time for games this week.

I made an attempt at Bo Jackson Baseball today. I won the first series pretty easily, but then accidentally chose the wrong team to control in the World Series equivalent. It uses a confusing Player vs Player, Player vs NES, NES vs Player scheme that is dependent on which team is listed on the left side as visitors versus listed on the right side as the home team. I went to "exit game" in the menu and it went back to the original game menu, thus completely erasing the playoffs mode I had started. I HATE the menu/options system in this game!

I also wanted to ask @Gaia Gensoukiabout Times of Lore. I was thinking of playing that one. How was it?

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah I watched a Twitch streamer spend days playing through this and he couldn't stand it. It looks super tedious and annoying.

I guess I'll be the lone person to stand up for Solar Jetman. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit when I beat it a few years ago. Granted, I used maps so it wasn't a blind playthrough. But other than the final stage, I liked the unique gameplay challenges that the gravity mechanics offered.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 562/677

@nerdynebraskan Times of Lore is a very simplistic Western action RPG where you basically just talk to people, follow clues, find a specific item, talk to a person again, rinse and repeat. There are no experience points or levels, so there's no need for grinding either. Actually, most of the time I just ran away from enemies unless they were blocking my path. The only reason to kill enemies is that they sometimes drop money (for staying at an inn or buying food), healing items or spell scrolls.

It's a simple, short and relatively easy game, that you can play through in an evening or afternoon. It also offers passwords every time you sleep at an inn, if you want to take a break. Overall, it's okay, but not amazing like Crystalis for example.

12 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I forgot that was a thing that exists. Damn, NES has a lot of baseball games.

It's not especially long, either. But it is tedious, thus it always hanging around to the latter part of the thread.

Now there are only three baseball games left among the final 113, and they're all time sinks. Bases Loaded II, Bases Loaded 4, and Roger Clemens MVP Baseball. I will certainly beat Clemens again this year, unless someone is desperate to do a first-time clear on it. But I have never had any fondness for the BL series.

2 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's not especially long, either. But it is tedious, thus it always hanging around to the latter part of the thread.

Now there are only three baseball games left among the final 113, and they're all time sinks. Bases Loaded II, Bases Loaded 4, and Roger Clemens MVP Baseball. I will certainly beat Clemens again this year, unless someone is desperate to do a first-time clear on it. But I have never had any fondness for the BL series.

I want to play BL4, but I don't have time right now. In a few weeks I will start it, if nobody else has.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 564/677
On 2/11/2021 at 6:30 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just beat Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but I didn't get the good ending unfortunately. I hope this still counts. Anyway, terrible and awful game, but I've experienced worse at this point. This is at least playable even if it's extremely tedious, nonsensical and obnoxious.

@Strikezone1

Mission: Impossible is indeed very tough, but at least it gives you unlimited continues so that you can try over and over again. The problem however is that the levels tend to be extremely long. 20 to 30 minutes for a single level is normal for this game. So whenever you fail at a specific difficult spot then you have to do all of that over again. It requires a lot of memorization and learning the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. It also has a lot of cheap deaths, so be prepared for a lot of frustration.

jekyll and mr hyde.jpg

I've never played Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but it seems like the AVGN review wasn't an exaggeration as to how bad it is.