IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 548/677
10 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Gumshoe is done. 

I remember when Pat the NES Punk reviewed all the black box games, he went on about how difficult that game is and genuinely asked the audience if anyone had actually beat that game. He said send video if you do. Is it that hard? I vaguely remember him saying you have to shoot under your characters feet to make him take a single step. Is that right?

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I remember when Pat the NES Punk reviewed all the black box games, he went on about how difficult that game is and genuinely asked the audience if anyone had actually beat that game. He said send video if you do. Is it that hard? I vaguely remember him saying you have to shoot under your characters feet to make him take a single step. Is that right?

No, he moves on his own. You have to shoot him to jump though. It's not impossible, but it is a really tough game.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Oh and FWIW I played Gumshoe for about 30 minutes considering that I might try to beat it for this contest and can confirm either I'm terrible at light gun games, it's insanely difficult, or both. I never beat the first stage. I watched some video of the final stage and it is REALLY intense. Good on you for beating it @Bearcat-Doug, especially so quickly. Your light gun skills are on point it seems.

Gumshoe is tough, but since you have infinite continues it's manageable. I don't know how many hours I put into it last year, but probably only about 10-12, I'm guessing -- yeah, I just looked at my notes and it was just over 10 hours over the course of 3-4 weeks.

The main factor for me was physical fatigue in my hands and trigger finger -- the game just wore me out after a while -- plus my ability to gradually get a better sense of the right strategy for the last level.

The last boss is pretty unforgiving, though, and I still don't have a 100% handle on what triggers the bonus areas (which frankly are sometimes better avoided).

1 minute ago, bronzeshield said:

Gumshoe is tough, but since you have infinite continues it's manageable. I don't know how many hours I put into it last year, but probably only about 10-12, I'm guessing -- yeah, I just looked at my notes and it was just over 10 hours over the course of 3-4 weeks.

Infinite continues? I know you can spam the trigger to continue on the level you just died on, but assumed that was outside of our rules. Is that "code" listed in the manual or something?

I never had to bother with that since I never got past the first stage, but when I stopped trying part of the reason was that there were only 2 lives and no continue without using that method, which I assumed was a code.

2 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Infinite continues? I know you can spam the trigger to continue on the level you just died on, but assumed that was outside of our rules. Is that "code" listed in the manual or something?

I never had to bother with that since I never got past the first stage, but when I stopped trying part of the reason was that there were only 2 lives and no continue without using that method, which I assumed was a code.

Manual tells you how to continue, so it's legal.

25 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Infinite continues? I know you can spam the trigger to continue on the level you just died on

The manual does mention how to continue (as WashYourFace notes), and I'd read the "spam the trigger" thing elsewhere and it seems to be widely believed. But neither of those really gets it quite right: you have to shoot the words GAME OVER (as i recall) to continue, so some aim is required (and spamming the fire button is of no help).

Even if it weren't in the manual, I'd still question whether it constitutes a code, since shooting the only significant onscreen object in a game with one-button input is a pretty obvious course of action. 🙂

I really shouldn't have played this again, for the third time in my life, but Evert & Lendl: Top Players Tennis is completed. I did the Japanese version this time, which doesn't have the announcer the English version does. The ending is as short and disappointing as always, though! It even mentions Cosmic Epsilon too.

10UHRoz.jpg

qkr6A4C.jpg

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 552/677

We passed the 50% mark for bonus points this weekend (nice). Also passed 550, three days ahead of the best ever pace in 2015. Keep it up!

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
50 2-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan
100 4-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan
150 9-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 2-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 5-Jan 5-Jan 2-Jan
200 16-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan 8-Jan 4-Jan
250 29-Jan 7-Jan 6-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 4-Jan 6-Jan 22-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan
300 6-Feb 14-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 8-Jan 10-Jan 9-Jan 14-Feb 17-Jan 8-Jan
350 17-Mar 25-Jan 17-Jan 10-Jan 12-Jan 16-Jan 15-Jan 19-Mar 22-Jan 11-Jan
400 26-Apr 17-Feb 26-Jan 16-Jan 19-Jan 27-Jan 30-Jan 14-Apr 30-Jan 15-Jan
450 7-Jun 2-May 16-Feb 21-Jan 31-Jan 7-Feb 10-Mar 19-May 14-Feb 19-Jan
500 22-Jul 10-Jul 9-Mar 31-Jan 21-Feb 10-Apr 11-Jul 20-Jul 1-Mar 29-Jan
550 16-Aug 8-Nov 7-Jun 10-Feb 21-Apr 2-Sep 13-Nov 21-Oct 31-Mar 7-Feb
600 14-Oct xxx 13-Sep 24-Feb 29-May xxx xxx xxx 21-Apr  
650 30-Nov xxx xxx 8-Apr 26-Aug xxx xxx xxx 20-Jun  
677 31-Dec xxx xxx 12-Jun 13-Dec xxx xxx xxx 25-Dec  

Total 677 562 638 677 677 589 582 587 677  
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

8 hours ago, Khromak said:

Oh and FWIW I played Gumshoe for about 30 minutes considering that I might try to beat it for this contest and can confirm either I'm terrible at light gun games, it's insanely difficult, or both. I never beat the first stage. I watched some video of the final stage and it is REALLY intense. Good on you for beating it @Bearcat-Doug, especially so quickly. Your light gun skills are on point it seems.

Having a smaller CRT (mine is 14") to play on seems to help since you can sit close and cover the entire area of the screen without having to move very much which helps your reaction time and accuracy. I was able to get a sealed Zapper a few years ago on ebay for $30, so it's really tight and responsive. Outside of the time I played Duck Hunt to Round 0, I haven't used it whole lot.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

7 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

The manual does mention how to continue (as WashYourFace notes), and I'd read the "spam the trigger" thing elsewhere and it seems to be widely believed. But neither of those really gets it quite right: you have to shoot the words GAME OVER (as i recall) to continue, so some aim is required (and spamming the fire button is of no help).

Even if it weren't in the manual, I'd still question whether it constitutes a code, since shooting the only significant onscreen object in a game with one-button input is a pretty obvious course of action. 🙂

Here's a link to a scan of the manual with the instructions on how to continue on page 9.

https://vimm.net/manual/?p=details&id=742

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Anybody got any tips on Defenders of Dynatron city? Specifically the cola factory level. I can't seem to make it past the second set of robots, the hammer guys. I can make it there with four heroes but I keep getting killed over and over. I'm not sure what do there. This spot is tough and it's frustrating to spend a half an hour to get there each time and then die in a minute. If there was a game genie code for level select I could at least practice that spot without wasting so much time. 

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Here's a link to a scan of the manual with the instructions on how to continue on page 9.

https://vimm.net/manual/?p=details&id=742

Right, I've consulted that before, but the language they use -- "Fire the Zapper while the Game Over screen is displayed to restart the game on the last phase attempted" -- doesn't really do a good job of spelling out exactly what you need to do (which contributed to the collective misunderstanding about needing to shoot rapidly, etc.).

As I recall, if it doesn't register your shot in the right place within a certain amount of time, you're back to square one.

46 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

Right, I've consulted that before, but the language they use -- "Fire the Zapper while the Game Over screen is displayed to restart the game on the last phase attempted" -- doesn't really do a good job of spelling out exactly what you need to do (which contributed to the collective misunderstanding about needing to shoot rapidly, etc.).

As I recall, if it doesn't register your shot in the right place within a certain amount of time, you're back to square one.

I'm not 100% sure either. I managed to beat it on my last life so I didn't have to use it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Wow! 2