IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Yes, I've successfully beaten King's Knight. Sorry for the confusing phrasing. 

I still have Hydlide and Starship Hector as cartridges, but I don't think that I will be able to beat Hector anytime soon. So feel free to beat it.

It's weird though. I really like that game, similar to Silkworm, but the last levels in both games are just way too hard for me.

Polish_20210130_185207734.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Yes, I've successfully beaten King's Knight. Sorry for the confusing phrasing. 

I still have Hydlide and Starship Hector as cartridges, but I don't think that I will be able to beat Hector anytime soon. So feel free to beat it.

It's weird though. I really like that game, similar to Silkworm, but the last levels in both games are just way too hard for me.

The last level of King's Knight is so stupid. It's almost a good game to me, but the last level especially ruins it. It sounds like you are volunteering to beat Hydlide, which I think is an excellent idea! (one I think not too many people want to play) I get better at Silkworm and Hector every time I play them, but they are 2 more on my list of almost-but-never-quite-completed.

7 hours ago, Khromak said:

I finished pool of radiance this afternoon, boy what a hidden gem! I absolutely loved this game (with maps/guides). Definitely seems like pre-internet it could be frustrating but you can save anywhere so maybe not so bad. With access to information about the mechanics it's an absolute treat

20210130_132143.jpg

Pool of Radiance is definitely a good RPG. I guess they saw what a turd Hillsfar ended up as and upped their game on this one.

Fist of the North Star is done. Yeah, its weird. I kind of enjoyed progressing through it though. I would do it again next year, but wouldn't pick it up for fun in between. First time clear I have been working on off and on for a week. Not easy

20210130_212132.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WashYourFace said:

I started Racket Attack. 1 opponent down, 6 more to go. Damn, this game sucks though.

I really wish there was a good nes tennis game. Maybe there is and I dont know about it, but everything Ive played has been pretty junky. Definitely open to suggestions if someone actually likes a tennis game 

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I really wish there was a good nes tennis game. Maybe there is and I dont know about it, but everything Ive played has been pretty junky. Definitely open to suggestions if someone actually likes a tennis game 

There's one, and only one: Family Tennis by Namco, on the Famicom. It uses the engine that became World Court Tennis on the Turbografx-16, which (ridiculous localization aside) is very very solid. Plus the characters are (thinly disguised) real-life players from the 1980s, and play a lot like the actual players. Navratilova's volleys are sick. There's a fan translation that came out pretty well (full disclosure, I was one of several who worked on it).

All the other NES tennis games suck to varying degrees. The Japanese version of Racket Attack is slightly better since it has upgraded sound, but it's still floaty and slippery. Still, at least it tries. Evert/Lendl is trash, Connors is trash, black-box Tennis is an abomination, the unlicensed games are trash.

Outside of North America, Rackets & Rivals is the only one I haven't beaten yet but it seems trashy. There's a Famicom Disk System game that might be OK but I can't really tell until I give it a proper playthrough.

A lot of the best tennis games are Namco releases. They seemed to understand how to make one that was both accessible and played like the real sport.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

There's one, and only one: Family Tennis by Namco, on the Famicom. It uses the engine that became World Court Tennis on the Turbografx-16, which (ridiculous localization aside) is very very solid. Plus the characters are (thinly disguised) real-life players from the 1980s, and play a lot like the actual players. Navratilova's volleys are sick. There's a fan translation that came out pretty well (full disclosure, I was one of several who worked on it).

All the other NES tennis games suck to varying degrees. The Japanese version of Racket Attack is slightly better since it has upgraded sound, but it's still floaty and slippery. Still, at least it tries. Evert/Lendl is trash, Connors is trash, black-box Tennis is an abomination, the unlicensed games are trash.

Outside of North America, Rackets & Rivals is the only one I haven't beaten yet but it seems trashy. There's a Famicom Disk System game that might be OK but I can't really tell until I give it a proper playthrough.

A lot of the best tennis games are Namco releases. They seemed to understand how to make one that was both accessible and played like the real sport.

Rad Racket is OK, I think. Not great but it's alright. I beat Rackets & Rivals before, but let's just say it's forgettable. Tennis on Quattro Sports is hard as hell.

44 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

Rad Racket is OK, I think. Not great but it's alright. I beat Rackets & Rivals before, but let's just say it's forgettable. Tennis on Quattro Sports is hard as hell.

The only thing I liked about Rad Racket was "YUK A RAT", which granted is pretty awesome. Otherwise it's a lot like black-box Tennis, just not as awful. It's been almost 7 years since I played it, though.

I managed to figure out a winning pattern for the tennis game in Quattro Sports -- the details might still be on NintendoAge somewhere, from when I beat it in 2014 (and again in 2016). I think the biggest "aha" moment was getting the hang of serving aces? I seem to remember something about the game being really counterintuitive.

Ah, I found it:

"When serving, the key is to always serve wide (hold left or right), and to wait for the ball to drop quite low -- near eye level when you're serving from the far court, and slightly above headband level if you're serving from the near court. If the ball goes long or hits the net, you're hitting too soon or too late (respectively), but if you get a let (the ball dribbles over the net), you're close. Get the timing right, and you can serve strings of aces, which makes life much easier.

When receiving, I found it best to stay behind the baseline, and hit the opponent's serve hard and deep crosscourt. That will often elicit a "floating" ball in response, which you can rush forward and smash crosscourt for a quick win of the point.

BTW the opponents in this game are basically in groups of three, and the main difference is that the game speeds up after every 3rd opponent -- it starts out quite slow, and gets rather quick by the end. It takes a few moments to adjust your timing, but it's doable. Andre is noticeably more powerful and consistent than the others, but can still be overcome with good serving and aggressive returning.

I don't think the tennis part of Quattro Sports is as bad as some sources say. The difficult serving is a drag, but once you get used to it, the rest of the game is pretty decent."

8 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I managed to figure out a winning pattern for the tennis game in Quattro Sports -- the details might still be on NintendoAge somewhere, from when I beat it in 2014 (and again in 2016). I think the biggest "aha" moment was getting

I beat it in 2013 I think? I agree it wasn't that bad, except beating it was tough. Not that I particularly want to play it again. Back then I rated it 6/10 quality, 9/10 difficulty.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:54 PM, Tulpa said:

I like a fully powered weapon #6. It doesn't shoot the projectile, it just erases enemies and bullets when you push A.

Weapon #5 fully powered (the laser) is pretty sweet, too.

I’ve been playing this shitty game for almost a week now. Got over 12 hours in on it I’d say. The frustration factor outweighs the fun/quality of Zanac, and by a landslide.

Interesting that you guys mention other weapon #s as been equal to #7. I’m just not seeing that. Sure, a fully powered up #3 or #6 are effective, but yet not at all comparable to a fully powered up #7 IMO. Bullets can still penetrate through fully powered #3. Every quality play through of Zanac I’ve seen utilizes #7. I haven’t seen any others. Even @peg uses #7 is his NDR of it that he uploaded a few months ago on YT.

I’ll probably make a few more attempts at Zanac before I say F it and move on. Kudos to anyone who has actually beaten this POS!

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Fist of the North Star is done. Yeah, its weird. I kind of enjoyed progressing through it though. I would do it again next year, but wouldn't pick it up for fun in between. First time clear I have been working on off and on for a week. Not easy

20210130_212132.jpg

Nice one. I agree FotNS is mediocre-at-best, but yet far from the worst of the library. The fun part is figuring out the weaknesses of each of the bosses to take them out quicker. IIRC level 6 was the biggest pain in the game. For some reason it seemed excessively longer than any other level in the game.

4 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

I’ve been playing this shitty game for almost a week now. Got over 12 hours in on it I’d say. The frustration factor outweighs the fun/quality of Zanac, and by a landslide.

Interesting that you guys mention other weapon #s as been equal to #7. I’m just not seeing that. Sure, a fully powered up #3 or #6 are effective, but yet not at all comparable to a fully powered up #7 IMO. Bullets can still penetrate through fully powered #3. Every quality play through of Zanac I’ve seen utilizes #7. I haven’t seen any others. Even @peg uses #7 is his NDR of it that he uploaded a few months ago on YT.

I’ll probably make a few more attempts at Zanac before I say F it and move on. Kudos to anyone who has actually beaten this POS!

I have to agree. I don't see any reason to use anything other than #7. The problem is, though, there are some levels you just can't run out of lives on (and try to continue). Level 4 especially for example. If you get the continue screen there, you might as well just start over. Whereas if you continue on Level 5, it's still possible to continue, get your powered up #7 back and get past it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I have to agree. I don't see any reason to use anything other than #7. The problem is, though, there are some levels you just can't run out of lives on (and try to continue). Level 4 especially for example. If you get the continue screen there, you might as well just start over. Whereas if you continue on Level 5, it's still possible to continue, get your powered up #7 back and get past it.

It’s seems to be a struggle for me to get back to a fully powered up #7 at any point in the game after I lose it. I’ve maybe done it once or twice up to this point. I can usually grab 1-2 #7s but always die before I am able to get the fourth one. 

It feels like in order to beat the game you have to get thru at least most of it on 1 life. If you can get to, say, late in level 10 before dying you should have at least 30 lives built up to have a chance to get to the end w/o fully powered #7. 

Surprisingly TMR was able to brute force his way to victory for his NES Mania by continuing a lot at level 10. He mostly got thru levels 11 & 12 with #0.

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yes, level 6 is definitely the hardest level. I was stuck there a couple days, but once I passed it, I beat level 7 within an hour or so. 

I had the same experience. Level 7, and hell even the final boss, paled in comparison to Level 6.

Just curious, your avatar pic The Rocketeer, is it a favorite game of yours? I’ve been looking to pick up a copy of it. It looks like a decent game.

24 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Just curious, your avatar pic The Rocketeer, is it a favorite game of yours? I’ve been looking to pick up a copy of it. It looks like a decent game.

Rocketeer is definitely a favorite and one of the most underrated games in my opinion. Its an awesome platformer and the flying aspect makes it really unique. Very well done. I also liked the movie as a kid, so that doesn't hurt either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

I hate to do this to you, but...

j1D3C8s.jpg

Zanac is defeated. I was working on it last night for a while, and on my first really good run tonight (while you were posting this), I beat it. Of course I used weapon #7 - I think I made it to stage 7 or 8 before dying. Even with 30+ lives going into the last few stages, I still almost screwed it up. I actually didn't beat the level 11 boss, so I had to replay the stage. Entered the final stage with less than 10 lives, but it was easier than 11. I couldn't keep weapon 7, so I ended up using 3 for the level 11 boss and 1 for the final bosses (which somehow worked great).

I actually thought the game was great, and one of the best shooters on the system!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2