IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

I'm pretty sure the game was programmed to freeze on the final boss when you use either of the infinite continues or start of level 7 codes. When I used either one while practicing the game it happened every time. When I didn't use them, it never happened.

I thought Sword Master was one of those games that's frustrating at first, but once I got the hang of it and figured out the tricks & strategies I actually enjoyed it. Graphics-wise I think it's top notch.

Yeah it worked without using any codes. I guess they didn't want you to finish the game with any help. Pretty interesting bit of programming if that was done intentionally. 

Edited by BriGuy82

I was surprised to see Kirby's Adventure still available. I had only ever played the Game Boy Advance remake, so it was interesting to go back to the original. Definitely impressed with what they pulled out of the NES graphics wise, though there is definitely some serious slow down in places.

2021-01-19 17.37.58.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vectrex28 said:

Man I need to find it for the Famicom, I live in Japan now and I don't have access to my NES collection 😞

You live in Japan now? You're like carmen San Diego. Playing a famicom in Japan is kinda like showing off a little bit. Are you gonna eat some Italian food in Italy next? 😜

10 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Anybody ever play swordmaster? I made it to the final boss yesterday and 2 out of 3 times the game glitched out and froze... And not in a loose or dirty connection kinda way, but in a this game was programmed like hot garbage kinda way. 

I can actually remember that game freezing up on me. I tried to beat it when I first bought it and never did. Not because of the freezing, but there was some boss 5 or 6 levels in that I couldnt beat and got bored trying. I think I briefly tried again for this thread last year w/same result. Its a cool looking game, but yeah. Very broken feel unfortunately 

Nice job clearing it!

Edited by NESfiend
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Nicely done! Did you use the shortcut or whatever it is? I need to check out die hard. I have a copy, but the games reputation has kept me from putting in any time on it. Kind of stupid considering how many "bad" games I really like

Thanks! I didn’t use the shortcut with the stairs/timer. I think doing that would make it nearly impossible on advanced, because you’d be forced to face like 30+ guys on floor 30 (the final floor) and you’d run outta ammo, if not run outta time. All enemies take 2-3 hits to kill as opposed to 1 on beginner.

Yeah check it out. I’d say expect to hate the game at first. I’d recommend watching a play through of it first so that you get an idea of what to do and where to go. As is the case with a lot of mediocre NES games that are tough, there is some fun to be had with it once you git gud so to speak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah the little bit of platforming is brutal. Your supposed to be able to do a double jump but I can't get it to work half the time. 

Yeah the manual does mention a double jump but it doesn’t work. I actually figured out that you can actually jump out of your fall, i.e. walk off the edge and then jump out of your fall. This makes the platforming on stage 4 go from ridiculous to pretty easy. 

Congrats on beating it!

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 456/677
18 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

SWORD MASTER

Nice! I was working on that but got stuck on Level 4. The double-jump seems to require frame-perfect timing and release, but I was kind of getting the hang of it until that gauntlet of three floating eyeball things.

Did you use the trick where you change to the mage and deliberately get knocked back in order to remove one of the eyeballs, as seen in some YouTube playthroughs? Or something else?

1 hour ago, bronzeshield said:

Nice! I was working on that but got stuck on Level 4. The double-jump seems to require frame-perfect timing and release, but I was kind of getting the hang of it until that gauntlet of three floating eyeball things.

Did you use the trick where you change to the mage and deliberately get knocked back in order to remove one of the eyeballs, as seen in some YouTube playthroughs? Or something else?

No I didn't turn into mage for any of those parts. Like @Strikezone1said you basically utilize the double jump not to go over top of any of the orbs, but to go under them. So you can basically walk off any platform, hit the jump button as you begin to fall down and you will pop back up. That level 4 becomes very simple using the technique that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bronzeshield said:

Off the top of my head the only time I can remember it being a little tricky jumping over the orbs was on level 2. There was one spot with 2 orbs that are close together and you have to clear a little jump. You just get close to the edge and orbs,  hold up and swing the sword and the 2 orbs will come closer together, and go in the same pattern. Then you can easily clear them when they go low by doing a regular jump. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Paperboy 2 is done.

I think I'll start Wrecking Crew next. If anyone else is playing it, you should let me know.

I'm not, but have you played/beaten it before? It's mostly fun and not very hard but there are a few levels that are really frustrating.

Edited by WashYourFace

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Damn Nerdy! You made quick work of that. Must have been first playthrough if my memory serves on long play run time. That game gets so hard at the end. Any tips would be appreciated. 

I've beaten it many times now. I first considered it when it was one of the last 10 games of scary's first NES Challenge in 2012. I put some hours in that fall, but I didn't get over the hump in time to contribute to the 2012 competition. I believe that I beat it for the first time in 2013, and when I beat it in 2014 (which was the year that scary introduced the points system) it was actually a 10 pointer. I've certainly devalued it a bit since then.

This port gets really bad reviews, which are semi-deserved. I was definitely disappointed with it at first, after I had been exposed to the Genesis port growing up. Sega got much better adaptations of the first two Paperboys than the crap Mindscape published on the NES and SNES. In some respects, NES Paperboy 2 is even a downgrade on the earlier NES Paperboy. The paper-throwing physics are definitely a step down, but a dedicated player can definitely get used to them.

Nevertheless, I played a lot of the first NES Paperboy growing up and the NES Paperboy 2 is similar enough to remind me of my nostalgia for the original. I did have to practically memorize the game before I was able to beat it, though. Not only memorizing the mailbox targets and the hazards, but remembering exactly how, where, and when I would make my moves to hit the mailbox or the enemy with my paper.

The cheapest enemies in the game are the birds. On the later days of your week, they will just kill you in two seconds if you don't KO them with a paper. There's literally no dodging them once they engage, so it is essential to hit them with papers while they're still perching on the tombstones of the graveyard houses or on the castles. Especially on later days, I'm prepared to commit 2-3 papers to each perched bird, since the first hit will sometimes bounce right off the bird and break a window instead.

The castles were probably the most dangerous houses on the block when I was learning the game, but there's a pretty reliable way to pass them safely. While I generally prefer to ride slow and pick off my targets methodically, I pass the castles with speed. Stay on the street near the curb and hit the two ramps at full speed. Being in midair from the first ramp will also improve your accuracy in trying to neutralize the bird perched on the castle. You can theoretically stop cannonballs in midair with your papers as well (although the aiming part is a crapshoot), but if you rush past at full speed it's usually pretty easy to time it where the cannonballs have no chance at you anyway. When I hit the second ramp near the end of the castle I usually lean a bit to the left on the D-pad so I can land back on the sidewalk once I'm past the castle. It's usually safer to be there than in the street, and the next house is almost always a subscriber so I want a closer shot at that mailbox too.

Was there a particular part that you were struggling with?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I did have to practically memorize the game before I was able to beat it, though. Not only memorizing the mailbox targets and the hazards, but remembering exactly how, where, and when I would make my moves to hit the mailbox or the enemy with my paper.

I agree, it's all about memorization and repetition. It's been awhile since I played it (I'm starting to forget stuff from over 5 years ago, I guess) but yeah just know where the obstacles are and the best way to deal with each one. Avoiding them completely, if you can, is usually the best option. Save your papers to be used as weapons/defense.

Edited by WashYourFace