IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Today I learned that Championship Bowling has multiple endings, depending on how high you score. And to get the best ending, you do have to score a perfect 300.

I had a couple of games where I scored over 200, which bests the built-in high score.

In previous years, the condition has just been to complete a game. Two alternative options would be to break the built-in high score (200 points) or to require the best ending (scoring a perfect 300). If we're going by either of the more lenient two options, Championship Bowling is done.

Credit is due to our own @arnpoly, whose website was a valuable resource on this game.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 1

Swamp Thing is cleared.  I was a little rusty on this one so I used the glitch between the last two levels to get swamp thing through the last level easy-beasy.  Also,  beat the final boss in one go without taking a hit = great ending to a so-so run.

Edited by PII

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 185/677
34 minutes ago, Elkovsky said:

Good night, this one gave me a ton of grief the last time I played it. Any pointers you might be able to offer?

I've been playing this one for many years. You have to run the red light and get the multiball. Then try and shoot 1 or 2 of the multiballs through the red light to bank them. From there, try and get the extra ball while you are still in the multiball bonus realm (no enemies populate while you are in the multiball realm). To get the extraball to light up you have to run the ramps. The ramp bonus goes from points, to bonus held, to finally extra ball. You can stack extraballs by hitting the ramp, cycling through the bonus games, and finally by cycling through all the enemies. Once you've gone through all the enemies on the board a little sun icon pops up and that is an extra ball as well. In general, try to control the ball and get it the left flipper as much as you can. I try not to shoot from the right flipper.

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

I've been playing this one for many years. You have to run the red light and get the multiball. Try and shoot 1 or 2 of the multiballs through the red light to bank them. From there, try and get the extra ball while you are still in the multiball bonus realm (no enemies populate while you are in the multiball realm). To get the extraball to light up you have to run the ramps. The ramp bonus goes from points, to bonus held, to finally extra ball. You can stack extraballs by hitting the ramp, cycling through the bonus games, and finally by cycling through all the enemies. Once you've gone through all the enemies on the board a little sun icon pops up and that is an extra ball as well. In general, try to control the ball and get it the left flipper as much as you can. I try not to shoot from the right flipper.

Thanks! I'm totally putting this in a text file for posterity so I can give this a shot the next time I give it a try.

• Like 1

Faxanadu beaten.

Well that was a lot more mediocre-at-best than I remembered. Cheap ambushes and unavoidable hits: the game. How it handled keys was also bad. Jumping was a little weird but I got used to it. The game looks and sounds fairly good, has some weird touches, has no real grinding or nonsense that would necessitate checking a guide so it avoided some of the biggest pitfalls you’d expect, and has alright basic game feel but the actual game just wasn’t very good. 

Edited by MagusSmurf

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Double Dragon II is done since it was still on the board.

Lol, I was eyeing that one up. I saw mtpo was gone too. I hadn't faced Iron Mike since we played it going back about 4 or 5 years ago. I still remembered the code and knocked that bitch out on my first try. Not in the first round though. I have to find my good controller. 

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Lol, I was eyeing that one up. I saw mtpo was gone too. I hadn't faced Iron Mike since we played it going back about 4 or 5 years ago. I still remembered the code and knocked that bitch out on my first try. Not in the first round though. I have to find my good controller. 

I was able to beat Tyson in the first round, but it wasn't close to the 2:35 I got back then. Anymore I'm lucky to get the TKO before the 2:50 mark.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Faxanadu beaten.

Well that was a lot more mediocre-at-best than I remembered. Cheap ambushes and unavoidable hits: the game. How it handled keys was also bad. Jumping was a little weird but I got used to it. The game looks and sounds fairly good, has some weird touches, has no real grinding or nonsense that would necessitate checking a guide so it avoided some of the biggest pitfalls you’d expect, and has alright basic game feel but the actual game just wasn’t very good. 

I was trying that game out last month for 30 minutes or so, and it definitely seemed bad to me too. I expected more since it usually seems to get praised. Felt the same way about Battle of Olympus when I played that a few years ago (which I did beat).

Edited by scaryice