IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Was there a particular part that you were struggling with?

Honestly, I cant remember what got me. If I remember right, there are 3 long levels/stages and I got midway through the 3rd last year. Its way up on my list to beat. Love the paperboy games and 2 was the one I really liked growing up, but I never got far until putting some time in last year. Ill be going back and studying your tips closely when I do. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 461/677

Just added a column to my NES collection spreadsheet with a Yes/No for if I've beaten the game. I'm at an appalling 89 games, including the ones which can't be beaten, barely 13%! For the completions thread I mostly play games I'm already familiar with, but I think this year I'm going to try to branch out into some new games.

It should be easy to do that since pretty much every game I've beaten has already been done this year even though January isn't even over yet. Haven't picked a new game to take on yet, but I've got a couple in mind.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, BriGuy82 said:

No I didn't turn into mage for any of those parts. Like @Strikezone1said you basically utilize the double jump not to go over top of any of the orbs, but to go under them. So you can basically walk off any platform, hit the jump button as you begin to fall down and you will pop back up. That level 4 becomes very simple using the technique that way. 

Hey, thanks for this. I think I'd read much the same before, but something about the way your advice was phrased made it "click this time and I ended up beating Sword Master today.

It comes close to being a sleeper classic, but that platforming is so janky -- on my winning playthrough, both of my continues came after I basically plunged through a platform. The hitboxes in this game are very odd indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bronzeshield said:

Hey, thanks for this. I think I'd read much the same before, but something about the way your advice was phrased made it "click this time and I ended up beating Sword Master today.

It comes close to being a sleeper classic, but that platforming is so janky -- on my winning playthrough, both of my continues came after I basically plunged through a platform. The hitboxes in this game are very odd indeed.

What can I say...I missed my calling as a Nintendo Power counselor. 😎...😜

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

BNB has a few rough spots, but I still think it's one of the better NES baseball games. Did you enjoy it? What's next for you?

It's a good baseball game. Unlike RBI and Bases Loaded, I can't find a pattern that is a "guaranteed win". Seems like there's lots of random chance involved, based on the stats, which is fine. I actually lost a few games. There's also some weird quirks, like sometimes the other team's runner hangs out by 2nd base but not tagging up, so you can get an easy out. And annoying how it throws to a fielder who is right next to you sometimes when you're trying to throw to a base. But it's pretty decent.

Tomorrow I will probably start Athletic World, I've got my Power Pad out and ready to go!

• Like 1

For the longest time as I very casually played SRNR I only enjoyed it and had good things to say about it.  It had to be a major landmark in Isometric game design and is one of the best and most unique games on the NES and totally worthy of a true sequel that it has never had.  It has some minor issues with hit detection and again I only had fun with it despite the occasional minor irritation until I reached the last 2 levels.  I've always wondered why this amazing game is so inexpensive and relatively obscure for a game that is merely uncommon as far as its availability.  Now I know.  For an indication of how I felt all too often on these levels see pic.

The penultimate level has so many F.U. moments its unreal.  Yesterday I was trying to climb the final flight of icy slanted stairs.  When you fall off more than 4 block lengths its a death and the program starts you on the last ledge you touched.  Somehow I leapt up a few steps and slipped off the edge quicker than the "camera" could scroll up with me and my snake kept manifesting offscreen only to slip and fall off the inclined step over and over until my game ended because all controls were locked out.  (sigh.)

Once you get past all these major F.U. moments you're rewarded with the mountain's relatively small peak which has been greased edge to edge for your pleasure.  There is a constant bombardment of meteorites from above to look out for while you attempt to kill king ice foot which requires constant tongue-darting as it jumps around and immediately recharges if you screw up in the slightest and cease to rapidly hit it for any kind of time.

Earlier tonight I beat king ice foot on my last life only to be immediately squashed by an asteroid.  GAME OVER.  (SIGH!)  I have rarely chucked a controller in my time but beating the final boss only to be immediately killed for a game over usually qualifies for the old heave-ho.

When I finally got it, I actually managed to kill king ice foot on the very first attempt.  I'm finally good enough at the last couple of levels to enjoy them a bit now....    ....(¡SIGH!)

chris.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 466/677

Whomp 'Em has been Whomped.  A Mega Man clone but pretty good with it's own style.  Good graphics, great play control, good music (some tunes more memorable than others) mediocre sound effects.  Some of the upgrades from accomplishing boss fights are just a bit under-necessary, but overall fun and unique enough.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1