IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

For Conflict, can you get to the hidden map in the Move 3 Units scenario?

I honestly prefer to play under Move All Units rules, but I don't see why you couldn't finish the game under Move 3 rules. "The Final Conflict" is released with a fifteen-letter password, and you earn each character in that password by beating the other 15 missions. As long as you're earning a letter at the end of your mission victory, you're fine. But again, I prefer to move all my units in every turn.

• Thanks 1

Dusty Diamond is done. Did a half assed game late last night against the amazons and lost. Lost the 1st game tonight 2-0 and won the second in extra innings. THIS is the best baseball game for nes. With the unique skill set for each player, including how they field, throw, run the bases, hit and pitch, I really dont think there is anything else close and I love plenty of baseball games for NES. In that regard, its actually a lot more sophisticated than snes ken griffey games which are obviously legendary. Also, its hilarious. The quirky "local rules" (like your home run becomes an out if its a window on the school field) add a fun twist to each game. 

20210118_215404.jpg

20210118_215324.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 445/677
On 1/17/2021 at 1:06 PM, BriGuy82 said:

I never played that one, so I'm missing the nostalgia factor unfortunately. But I know @arch_8ngeland @guillavoie swear by that game. So it's on my list... maybe next year! Lol 

It is one of the best games of the era.

If you're fan of the Goonies -- it has at least one level/Chapter that feels like a great homage, as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is one of the best games of the era.

If you're fan of the Goonies -- it has at least one level/Chapter that feels like a great homage, as well.

I'm gonna fire it up once I hook up my pvm. I remember @guillavoie told a romantic story that he only plays it in the summer to set the mood or something lol. I can imagine him narrating it in his sexy French Canadian accent. Oui oui! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm gonna fire it up once I hook up my pvm. I remember @guillavoie told a romantic story that he only plays it in the summer to set the mood or something lol. I can imagine him narrating it in his sexy French Canadian accent. Oui oui! 🤣

It's also a great dead-of-winter, but wrapped up in blankets game - where you can dream of better weather.

As a kid, this and Crystalis, were my go-to sick-at-home games - though finishing up Star Tropics in one sick day at home was a more manageable task. (especially if you wanted to take a break and watch David the Gnome :P)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It's also a great dead-of-winter, but wrapped up in blankets game - where you can dream of better weather.

As a kid, this and Crystalis, were my go-to sick-at-home games - though finishing up Star Tropics in one sick day at home was a more manageable task. (especially if you wanted to take a break and watch David the Gnome :P)

Jeez, I never played crystalis either. I'm a little ashamed 😞. That ones going on the list too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Anybody ever play swordmaster? I made it to the final boss yesterday and 2 out of 3 times the game glitched out and froze... And not in a loose or dirty connection kinda way, but in a this game was programmed like hot garbage kinda way. 

I used to want that game SO BAD as a kid based on the Nintendo Power coverage.

Never played it until I was an adult, though -- and I was definitely let down by the jumping mechanics compared to other seemingly similar games.

I never put in the time to beat it, though.

10 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Jeez, I never played crystalis either. I'm a little ashamed 😞. That ones going on the list too.

Star Tropics is the more fully realized game of the two.

It's a great game -- but it definitely makes some compromises in aligning RPG-advancement with what eventually becomes a fairly open world that are less smooth than how the chapter system works in Star Tropics and sometimes much more tedious than how classic Zelda functions (i.e. needing to grind levels at one or two places, or grind for money to buy armor)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Anybody ever play swordmaster? I made it to the final boss yesterday and 2 out of 3 times the game glitched out and froze... And not in a loose or dirty connection kinda way, but in a this game was programmed like hot garbage kinda way. 

What's funny is that the manual talks about platforms being slippery, which is just a nice way of saying that the game has terrible collision detection.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

What's funny is that the manual talks about platforms being slippery, which is just a nice way of saying that the game has terrible collision detection.

Yes, I read the manual saw that and laughed. I thought the same exact thing, I was like whoever made this is trying to cover their ass! Lol!

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I used to want that game SO BAD as a kid based on the Nintendo Power coverage.

Never played it until I was an adult, though -- and I was definitely let down by the jumping mechanics compared to other seemingly similar games.

I never put in the time to beat it, though.

Yeah the little bit of platforming is brutal. Your supposed to be able to do a double jump but I can't get it to work half the time. 

16 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Yeah the little bit of platforming is brutal. Your supposed to be able to do a double jump but I can't get it to work half the time. 

I don't think I reached a place where double jumping was required -- though I'm sure it'd be helpful in the 2nd level with a couple of the jumps (that get tricky due to flying enemies)

Conceptually -- what Swordmaster WANTED TO BE could probably be vastly improved with a d-pad for movement, a 4-button right-pad for attack/defense "positioning" and then using shoulder buttons to make the attack/defense command.

Then again -- just cleaning up the consistency of the controls and changing some of the physics could vastly improve the game with just the d-pad and 2-buttons.

The game basically has the opposite problem of Wizards and Warriors (that game has good arcade-style "movement" but AWFUL looking combat animation and hit detection)

Edited by arch_8ngel

5 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm pretty sure the game was programmed to freeze on the final boss when you use either of the infinite continues or start of level 7 codes. When I used either one while practicing the game it happened every time. When I didn't use them, it never happened.

I thought Sword Master was one of those games that's frustrating at first, but once I got the hang of it and figured out the tricks & strategies I actually enjoyed it. Graphics-wise I think it's top notch.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, Strikezone1 said:

I've looked on Youtube and it appears there's a way to cheese the timer and get the the 30th floor faster to end the game. The game is terrible IMO. It's too bad because I want to like it. The advanced mode is just straight up unfair. Don't think I'm gonna be able to clear that.

Not that anybody cares, but I actually was able to beat Die Hard on advanced! It is insanely brutal so I am pretty proud of it. I still don't think too highly of the game, but I at least appreciate the game a little bit more than I originally did. 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Not that anybody cares, but I actually was able to beat Die Hard on advanced! It is insanely brutal so I am pretty proud of it. I still don't think too highly of the game, but I at least appreciate the game a little bit more than I originally did. 🙂

Nicely done! Did you use the shortcut or whatever it is? I need to check out die hard. I have a copy, but the games reputation has kept me from putting in any time on it. Kind of stupid considering how many "bad" games I really like

• Like 1