IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

A BOY AND HIS BLOB

Nice. It was cryptic to me as well when I was a teenager. Sounds like you got farther when you were 7 years old than I did a few years ago. I sat down and thought I was finally going to beat it. I think I gave up halfway through. Guess I still need to do that, with a walkthrough or something.

9 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

Nice. It was cryptic to me as well when I was a teenager. Sounds like you got farther when you were 7 years old than I did a few years ago. I sat down and thought I was finally going to beat it. I think I gave up halfway through. Guess I still need to do that, with a walkthrough or something.

This game was very hyped up when it was released. I can remember a story about it on the news...the artwork looked cool too...So I begged my mom to get it for me. It was not at all what I expected it to be and honestly, I was disappointed. There was no action and it was very desolate. I did keep playing and playing it though. 30 something years later I'm glad to finally have closure! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

You put me out of my misery. I tried a couple nights this week and kept dying on level 7.

Glad to hear that I've put you out of your misery and that I could help with a difficult game for a change. Level 7 is one where you have to speed real hard. Do you know of the power start? When you're standing still you keep pressing down, wait till the gauge on the lower right fills up completely and then press A. You start off with max speed which can help turn around some dire situations if you had a crash or something.

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 416/677
9 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

A BOY AND HIS BLOB

20210115_224328.jpg

Great job! Now you should do Thunder & Lightning since you tried to put that evil on me earlier! 😂 Then you could finish Gauntlet II so I don't have to. It's not mind numbingly tedious, I promise! We need to get @bertsampson over here to clear some of these less than popular games. I'm fairly certain that he thrives on boredom.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great job! Now you should do Thunder & Lightning since you tried to put that evil on me earlier! 😂 Then you could finish Gauntlet II so I don't have to. It's not mind numbingly tedious, I promise! We need to get @bertsampson over here to clear some of these less than popular games. I'm fairly certain that he thrives on boredom.

Thunder and lighting wasn't too awful, I don't think you needed the vaus controller to beat it if IIRC. Gauntlet II sucks ass though. And yes @bertsampson should try and make his way over. He has nothing left to prove in the weekly contests. This is like the weekly contest retirement village... You can just play what you like at your own pace... contribute while working through your back log...We're knitting nes quilts over here. Lol

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Thunder and lighting wasn't too awful, I don't think you needed the vaus controller to beat it if IIRC. Gauntlet II sucks ass though. And yes @bertsampson should try and make his way over. He has nothing left to prove in the weekly contests. This is like the weekly contest retirement village... You can just play what you like at your own pace... contribute while working through your back log...We're knitting nes quilts over here. Lol

Thunder & Lightning uses the standard NES controller. I don't remember it being excessively bad, but I haven't had any real desire to go back to it after beating it during the weekly contest.  

9 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Do you know of the power start? 

This was the first time I had found out about that and used it. I looked up hints after the third time I got to level 7 and lost. Its a big boost, but also causes problems for me if there are big turns coming quick after using it. Started debating whether I should use the boost or not because I beat it once not knowing about it, but died plenty messing around with it. See what I mean by misery? I think its def worth using though.

21 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This was the first time I had found out about that and used it. I looked up hints after the third time I got to level 7 and lost.

Just for clarification, you didn't use the continue code? Are we not allowed to use it and then have to beat the game in one go? I thought it was allowed to use such codes IF they are given in the manual. That's why I never bothered with Ikari Warriors I since the ABBA code was not officially mentioned. If it's forbidden to use the A + Start combination to continue your play, then you'd have to delete my completion from this year and the year before that. But I always checked with the manuals shown here: http://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/nes/index.html

If you have to reset after every loss then I can understand why that game would be a miserable pain.

Well, at least there's no ambivalence with Widget, since it gives you unlimited continues.

Widget.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just for clarification, you didn't use the continue code? Are we not allowed to use it and then have to beat the game in one go? I thought it was allowed to use such codes IF they are given in the manual. That's why I never bothered with Ikari Warriors I since the ABBA code was not officially mentioned. If it's forbidden to use the A + Start combination to continue your play, then you'd have to delete my completion from this year and the year before that. But I always checked with the manuals shown here: http://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/nes/index.html

If you have to reset after every loss then I can understand why that game would be a miserable pain.

Well, at least there's no ambivalence with Widget, since it gives you unlimited continues.

Widget.jpg

I didnt know about the code, so yeah I was trying to beat it in one go. I cant believe I acheieved that at one point now looking back. I never knew about the code, but assume its ok if its in the manual. Im just a dope who needs to read more manuals. Oh well, on to the Blue Marlin! Got a nice little start 

• Wow! 1

GI Joe: The Atlantis Factor is done. Fun game, I really enjoy the powerup systems and the different characters with different abilities. Damn if it isn't ball-bustingly difficult at parts though. Really have to get the patterns for the different bosses and mini-bosses down or they will destroy you, and even certain regular enemies can be tough to get by without taking damage.

20210116_154300.jpg

Edited by Khromak
  • Like 1

Gun Nac is finished. Surprised it lasted this long since most people treasure this game. For me it's definitely my style of shooter, which is to say pretty easy with lots of mechanics to help you when you stuck at shooters, because I do. Badly. On a related note this is definitely the first time I've beaten it without continuing

20210116_195345.jpg

On 1/15/2021 at 7:56 PM, Foochie776 said:

Finally! Rainbow Islands is done, that last boss is SO tedious. 

5E0DBD16-312D-4BAA-9DF1-F7F429DB5520.jpeg

Nicely done! I love that game, but I never get passed level 5. One day I need to get around to beating it, but its definitely not easy. The colorful happy feel makes you think it would be, but it gets really tough. 

M.U.L.E. is NOT done, but it did seriously piss me off tonight. Because I got out to a nice early lead, it punished me once to twice a round on the last five rounds. (Even after I fell into second place on Round 10 of 12!) On the last round, my random negative event cost me almost $2000! And then I end up losing the game by fewer than 200 points (the point system weighing your cash as well as your lands and goods). Even if I had been negged with a typical loss of $300-500 on the last round I would have still comfortably won the game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1