IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

24 minutes ago, Khromak said:

It could be that I'm just not that great at platform/action games, but I was still struggling with bats and snakes at the end of the game. There are just so many frustrating enemies in the game; the monkeys, bats, everything seems somewhat random in its movement.

They wouldn't be so bad by themselves, but it seems like (especially later on) there's usually 3-5 enemies on the screen at once, and once you get hit half the time you just bounce around helplessly being knocked back as the enemies' patterns aren't synced up with each other so you can't focus on one. Or you just get knocked into a pit.

[...]

I'm probably being too harsh on the game; it's not terrible, it's just frustrating/boring at times. Overall I think it's decent, maybe 6.5 or 7/10, but definitely a "screaming at the TV" game sometimes.

I hear ya. I first seriously tried Battle of Olympus a couple of years ago for a previous version of this challenge, and gave up not long after the first boss. I have also heard the comparisons to Zelda II, but many of them in my experience rate BoO even higher than Zelda II. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. BoO has charm, but it also just feels off.

While I'm addressing ya, you and @WashYourFacewere talking about stepping up to Fester's Quest. Were either of you seriously considering doing it soon for this thread? I was probably going to do it again in the next week, unless one of y'all are ready to step up and try a first-time clear.

34 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Were either of you seriously considering doing it soon for this thread? I was probably going to do it again in the next week, unless one of y'all are ready to step up and try a first-time clear.

I'm not necessarily in a rush to play this game, you can go for it as far as I'm concerned. I may beat it this year regardless just as a personal accomplishment, but it's not on my short list.

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

While I'm addressing ya, you and @WashYourFacewere talking about stepping up to Fester's Quest. Were either of you seriously considering doing it soon for this thread? I was probably going to do it again in the next week, unless one of y'all are ready to step up and try a first-time clear.

I don't have the time to devote to it now. Just something I want to try and do some time. Go for it, if you want.

Just finished Star Force. The difficulty spikes like crazy right in the middle of the game and then relaxes a ton and never quite gets as hard as the middle again. Very weird. 

Here's the end screen after Omega, but I did beat the Infinity level after as well. 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kwjrm2][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50882563293_2ba409d3f8_b.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kwo871][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50883282376_f5d401d020_b.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by Crabmaster2000
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Are y'all just gonna beat every game in January? Is that what this is?

No, but 500 games in January is pretty crazy and we are only 5 away with a weekend to work with. Nerdy is a monster and has put together an inhuman month, but participation seems way up this year. 

Cue @scaryice 500 in January - how many times has that happened?

40 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Just finished Star Force. The difficulty spikes like crazy right in the middle of the game and then relaxes a ton and never quite gets as hard as the middle again. Very weird.

I don't remember where I got before, but it must have been that hard middle part.

Good to know I have a chance of beating it one day, if the difficulty goes down.

28 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

No, but 500 games in January is pretty crazy and we are only 5 away with a weekend to work with. Nerdy is a monster and has put together an inhuman month, but participation seems way up this year. 

Cue @scaryice 500 in January - how many times has that happened?

Once in 2015. And that was on Jan 31

On 1/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, scaryice said:

It's not crazy or anything, but we are doing better than last year:

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
50 2-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan
100 4-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan
150 9-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 2-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 5-Jan 5-Jan 2-Jan
200 16-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan 8-Jan 4-Jan
250 29-Jan 7-Jan 6-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 4-Jan 6-Jan 22-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan
300 6-Feb 14-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 8-Jan 10-Jan 9-Jan 14-Feb 17-Jan  
350 17-Mar 25-Jan 17-Jan 10-Jan 12-Jan 16-Jan 15-Jan 19-Mar 22-Jan  
400 26-Apr 17-Feb 26-Jan 16-Jan 19-Jan 27-Jan 30-Jan 14-Apr 30-Jan  
450 7-Jun 2-May 16-Feb 21-Jan 31-Jan 7-Feb 10-Mar 19-May 14-Feb  
500 22-Jul 10-Jul 9-Mar 31-Jan 21-Feb 10-Apr 11-Jul 20-Jul 1-Mar  
550 16-Aug 8-Nov 7-Jun 10-Feb 21-Apr 2-Sep 13-Nov 21-Oct 31-Mar  
600 14-Oct xxx 13-Sep 24-Feb 29-May xxx xxx xxx 21-Apr  
650 30-Nov xxx xxx 8-Apr 26-Aug xxx xxx xxx 20-Jun  
677 31-Dec xxx xxx 12-Jun 13-Dec xxx xxx xxx 25-Dec  

Total 677 562 638 677 677 589 582 587 677  

• Like 1

Trojan defeated (missed the screenshot, oops), my first time beating that one. The Gamefaqs guides are good for the game, so it was easy to clear. Although, after game over-ing once on the final boss, I checked a speedrun, and the "jump straight up and down" strategy works way better.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 495/677
22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Every game was done by June 12 with six and a half months to spare!

2015 was probably the wildest year of this competition. We were also playing the 30-something licensed PAL exclusives as well as the standard North American list. The list burned up so fast in large part because of the furious race for #1 between @Doctornickand @BeaIank. Bea scored more than 690 points and still lost. And Nick literally passed her for first place with The Mutant Virus, which was the very last game on the list.

(Bea started her eventual 2016 championship run by beating The Mutant Virus on New Year's Day.)

9 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I don't remember where I got before, but it must have been that hard middle part.

Good to know I have a chance of beating it one day, if the difficulty goes down.

Yeah I've been stuck on the levels around stages 12-13 for the past week. Kept thinking, how the heck am I going to so another 12-13 stages of this!! Beat 13 with no extra lives left and then was able to do the rest of the game after that (earning 2 more lives on the back half, 1 of which I used on the very final stage).

• Wow! 1

25 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

2015 was probably the wildest year of this competition. We were also playing the 30-something licensed PAL exclusives as well as the standard North American list. The list burned up so fast in large part because of the furious race for #1 between @Doctornickand @BeaIank. Bea scored more than 690 points and still lost. And Nick literally passed her for first place with The Mutant Virus, which was the very last game on the list.

(Bea started her eventual 2016 championship run by beating The Mutant Virus on New Year's Day.)

I've already passed my total for last year, but there are only a few games on the list that I've finished before. Hopefully I can finish at least 50 games this year. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

There are a few games (California Games, World Games, AD&D Hillsfar, Wall Street Kid) that I can knock out tonight and tomorrow night to help get to 500 by 1/31

I got a really good start on World Champ last night. Got half way through the game pretty quick, but after the first two circuits, the opponents' abilities take a really big jump. Im going to have to do some training (grinding) before I can progress further. Im tied up tonight, but it will easily be done before Feb 1. 

If its just about getting to 500 and you dont otherwise care to play it, hold off on California Games. We will get to 500 without it and I was going to try to get the first time clear there. I beat it for this when winning every event wasn't a victory condition, but that is cheap. Played that game growing up and I can win every event except halfpipe. At your suggestion from last year, I finally read that portion of manual and I think I can get it done with some practice. If you want to grab the points though, not a big deal

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@NESfiendyou can have California games. The hard one for me is the frisbee.

By World Champ did you mean World Games?

No, Im playing world champ. Its a boxing game that looks a lot like ring king. Its not difficult, just kind of a long grind. World games is all yours and if/when I give up on California Games, Ill definitely let you know. 

16 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Conflict is done. i don't know what kind of horseshit end screen this is, but the game's over sucka. I'll chalk this as a "begrudgingly play again if desperately asked to" sort of game

That's kind of what I thought about Conflict the first time I played through it. Man, what a slog but I at least cleared a time sink for the group effort. Little did I know how secretly addictive the game was! I've beaten it almost once a year since that fateful first clear... I even start to look forward to it when the game list gets kind of sketchy. Well, there's always next year...

And yeah, I think we will be over 500 completions by February 1st. I'm coming up on my weekend, and planning to do 3-5 of the games I can still do quickly and reliably.

8 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Yeah I've been stuck on the levels around stages 12-13 for the past week. Kept thinking, how the heck am I going to so another 12-13 stages of this!! Beat 13 with no extra lives left and then was able to do the rest of the game after that (earning 2 more lives on the back half, 1 of which I used on the very final stage).

Congrats on beating Star Force. One of these days I'm gonna put in the time and work to clear it myself... It's good to know about the weird difficulty curve so thank you for that.

• Like 1