IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Just finished blaster master. Very fun game, top 25 imho. I'm surprised it was still left since so many people have it in their top X lists. This was my first time beating it, it seemed so daunting before; it's definitely a walk through or heavy exploration game. The controls are SUPER tight, until the last section when you have the ceiling climb then it's obnoxious.

20210125_200816.jpg

Edited by Khromak
Expounding
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Just finished blaster master. Very fun game, top 25 imho. I'm surprised it was still left since so many people have it in their top X lists. This was my first time beating it, it seemed so daunting before; it's definitely a walk through or heavy exploration game. The controls are SUPER tight, until the last section when you have the ceiling climb then it's obnoxious.

I have it on my personal list to beat this year (along with Fester's Quest and Ultima III). My friend beat it back in 1990 or so, and I never got around to doing it. I haven't tried it yet this year, because I know it will take me some time.

Edited by WashYourFace
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I have it on my personal list to beat this year (along with Fester's Quest and Ultima III). My friend beat it back in 1990 or so, and I never got around to doing it. I haven't tried it yet this year, because I know it will take me some time.

Funny you say that, I'm considering beating Fester's Quest this year as well. I never played it as a kid, but played through a few bosses last year. The bosses are just so clunky I couldn't bring myself to try to make it all the way through at the time, but it's definitely one I want to do.

47 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Funny you say that, I'm considering beating Fester's Quest this year as well. I never played it as a kid, but played through a few bosses last year. The bosses are just so clunky I couldn't bring myself to try to make it all the way through at the time, but it's definitely one I want to do.

Unlike Blaster Master, which I'm pretty confident I can beat once I sit down and do it, I'm not that sure about Fester's Quest. I've made it about halfway through before. Yeah, too many flaky parts and tough bosses. I suppose I'll probably beat it, but it's going to take some time and dedication.

Edited by WashYourFace

2 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

Unlike Blaster Master, which I'm pretty confident I can beat once I sit down and do it, I'm not that sure about Fester's Quest. I've made it about halfway through before. Yeah, too many flaky parts and tough bosses. I suppose I'll probably beat it, but it's going to take some time and dedication.

If you can beat Blaster Master, than you can beat Festers Quest. I found FQ to be slightly less challenging than BM.

8 hours ago, scaryice said:

I had the same thought when I tried it out last week. Way too annoying, so I quit.

Not sure how far you got, but levels 4 and 6 (the last one) were the ones that really dragged for me. The other ones had some difficult parts, but 4 and 6 were brutally, unfairly difficult. I think I'm reasonably good at platform games but they just demanded such specific strategies and execution to beat..

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Not sure how far you got, but levels 4 and 6 (the last one) were the ones that really dragged for me. The other ones had some difficult parts, but 4 and 6 were brutally, unfairly difficult. I think I'm reasonably good at platform games but they just demanded such specific strategies and execution to beat..

I got to 3. I guess it was normal at the time for Konami's games to be more difficult, but yeah, it is strange for a kids game to be so annoying. Then again, Ren & Stimpy is super hard too, now that I think about it. Plus, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Simpsons, the list goes on...

In other news, last night I played through Gauntlet II for the nth time. It's easy to beat, just requiring 2.5 hours of so of your time to slog through it. Maybe 20% of the levels I just used the wait trick (where if you wait for a minute & forty seconds, the walls turn to exits). The biggest tip I can give is to fight the dragons slowly, so you don't accidentally shoot the power up potions they give out. I actually got all six this run, maybe for the first time.

Kept going until 107 to max out the score:

uxQvry3.png

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 486/677
2 hours ago, scaryice said:

I got to 3. I guess it was normal at the time for Konami's games to be more difficult, but yeah, it is strange for a kids game to be so annoying. Then again, Ren & Stimpy is super hard too, now that I think about it. Plus, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Simpsons, the list goes on...

In other news, last night I played through Gauntlet II for the nth time. It's easy to beat, just requiring 2.5 hours of so of your time to slog through it. Maybe 20% of the levels I just used the wait trick (where if you wait for a minute & forty seconds, the walls turn to exits). The biggest tip I can give is to fight the dragons slowly, so you don't accidentally shoot the power up potions they give out. I actually got all six this run, maybe for the first time.

uxQvry3.png

I'm glad that someone got to this before me. It has to be among the most boring games that I've ever played and I really didn't want to play it again this year.

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm glad that someone got to this before me. It has to be among the most boring games that I've ever played and I really didn't want to play it again this year.

At least it's not as boring as Evert vs Lendl (which is twice as long). It's quite refreshing compared to that one.

Goal is done after more tries than Id like to admit to on the final game against England. I didnt do any research on the players and teams abilities. Usually for games from the 90s, brazil is a pretty safe bet. But englands players were a ton faster than mine and that made it really tough. They can catch me from behind at will and if they get passed me dribbling the ball they are just gone. Could be final game or just team selection or maybe both. Either way, first time clear and I had a great time with it

20210126_222913.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Goal is done after more tries than Id like to admit to on the final game against England. I didnt do any research on the players and teams abilities. Usually for games from the 90s, brazil is a pretty safe bet. But englands players were a ton faster than mine and that made it really tough. They can catch me from behind at will and if they get passed me dribbling the ball they are just gone. Could be final game or just team selection or maybe both. Either way, first time clear and I had a great time with it

What game? Oh, you mean Goal! <--- the ! means you have to shout it

I beat this back in 2014(? I think) as USA. I don't remember a whole lot about it, except feeling like it should be worth more points, because it's not easy. I think it was worth less back then.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:04 AM, Khromak said:

Agree. I recall 4-1 being a pain with those dogs throwing shit at you out of the windows while trying to jump across small platforms. And Max's castle was tough too. The game isn't too brutal, but definitely harder than you would expect it to be based on it's target audience, as scary elated to.  

On 1/26/2021 at 10:37 AM, scaryice said:

uxQvry3.png

Gauntlet II sounds like it might be worse of a slog than Rampage lol. I've actually owned this game since back in the day... don't think I've ever played it for more than 10 minutes at a time, and haven't played it in forever.

3 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Gauntlet II sounds like it might be worse of a slog than Rampage lol. I've actually owned this game since back in the day... don't think I've ever played it for more than 10 minutes at a time, and haven't played it in forever.

It's close. I think Rampage is more fun, but it definitely gets repetitive after 128 stages.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 489/677

Just finished battle of Olympus. God damn was this another frustrating one. The knock back when you get hit is endlessly frustrating from the first boss all the way to the final dungeon. Most people compare it to zelda 2 which is frankly insulting. It's got some similarities but it's very dramatically worse. On the plus side it has decent music, good graphics, a nice big open world and lots of powerups. Just very frustrating and you don't usually have a lot of resources to deal with the challenge

20210127_124904.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Just finished battle of Olympus. God damn was this another frustrating one. The knock back when you get hit is endlessly frustrating from the first boss all the way to the final dungeon. Most people compare it to zelda 2 which is frankly insulting. It's got some similarities but it's very dramatically worse. On the plus side it has decent music, good graphics, a nice big open world and lots of powerups. Just very frustrating and you don't usually have a lot of resources to deal with the challenge

I love it! I used to have it as one of my top 10 NES games. But that's probably an exaggeration. It's got some flaws for sure. I might be blinded by nostalgia.

1 minute ago, WashYourFace said:

I love it! I used to have it as one of my top 10 NES games. But that's probably an exaggeration. It's got some flaws for sure. I might be blinded by nostalgia.

It could be that I'm just not that great at platform/action games, but I was still struggling with bats and snakes at the end of the game. There are just so many frustrating enemies in the game; the monkeys, bats, everything seems somewhat random in its movement.

They wouldn't be so bad by themselves, but it seems like (especially later on) there's usually 3-5 enemies on the screen at once, and once you get hit half the time you just bounce around helplessly being knocked back as the enemies' patterns aren't synced up with each other so you can't focus on one. Or you just get knocked into a pit.

Another thing that didn't bother me that much, but was definitely a hindrance to my enjoyment of the game, were the olives. Since I died constantly (see my comment above about how I suck) I regularly had 0-5 olives, meaning every time I had to buy something I needed to spend about 10-20 minutes farming easy enemies for olives.

I'm probably being too harsh on the game; it's not terrible, it's just frustrating/boring at times. Overall I think it's decent, maybe 6.5 or 7/10, but definitely a "screaming at the TV" game sometimes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Another thing that didn't bother me that much, but was definitely a hindrance to my enjoyment of the game, were the olives. Since I died constantly (see my comment above about how I suck) I regularly had 0-5 olives, meaning every time I had to buy something I needed to spend about 10-20 minutes farming easy enemies for olives.

Hey if you aren't grinding for exp/gold, then you aren't retro gaming 😉