IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Nah, @NESfiend, I haven't clinched anything yet besides continuing to be the only player in the points era to hit 400 in every year. I will inevitably slow down as the stuff I can do easily has mostly vanished, and there are still something like 2000 points on the board. Also, my long vacation from work ends tonight. My gaming time will drop off quite a bit going forward. It's still anyone's game.

2 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

Man, I'm trying Zanac and I can't get past level 4. Just before the last boss, the amount of turrets and enemies is insane.

Most people would tell you to use weapon #7 to power through the game, but honestly, I always go with #3 (the force field) which, when fully powered up (get the same weapon four times in a row) doesn't really let anything get through to your ship.  Also, on almost all bosses and mini-bosses, you want to take out the guns that shoot the larger bubbles before anything else...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Most people would tell you to use weapon #7 to power through the game, but honestly, I always go with #3 (the force field) which, when fully powered up (get the same weapon four times in a row) doesn't really let anything get through to your ship.  Also, on almost all bosses and mini-bosses, you want to take out the guns that shoot the larger bubbles before anything else...

I like a fully powered weapon #6. It doesn't shoot the projectile, it just erases enemies and bullets when you push A.

Weapon #5 fully powered (the laser) is pretty sweet, too.

Wayne Gretzky Hockey done. It actually did seem ok now that I've played an entire game of it. Still an incredibly ugly game, though. Similar to Nintendo World Cup, you can just park yourself in a spot and the computer won't chase you, so it's just a matter of letting the timer slowly run down.

iMI31XL.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 440/677
10 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Nah, @NESfiend, I haven't clinched anything yet besides continuing to be the only player in the points era to hit 400 in every year. I will inevitably slow down as the stuff I can do easily has mostly vanished, and there are still something like 2000 points on the board. Also, my long vacation from work ends tonight. My gaming time will drop off quite a bit going forward. It's still anyone's game.

Same here. There are only a few games left that I've cleared before and I'm not in a hurry to do them again if someone else takes them.

6 hours ago, L0neStar said:

@Khromak I just noticed your Dragon Warrior 2 post. In the interest of transparency, I though I'd let you know I've been working on Dragon Warrior 2 for a few days now and I'm about half way done with it.  I'm not trying to claim it or anything, just wanted you to know.

Well I guess in the interest of transparency I'll do the same. I'm at the final sanctuary area, doing my final grind to take on the bosses. I'm still fairly low level, around 22/20/18 or so, but I'll probably finish it today?

4 hours ago, scaryice said:

Wayne Gretzky Hockey done. It actually did seem ok now that I've played an entire game of it. Still an incredibly ugly game, though. Similar to Nintendo World Cup, you can just park yourself in a spot and the computer won't chase you, so it's just a matter of letting the timer slowly run down.

iMI31XL.png

This is one of the few games that the Mexican Runner rated a 1 for Nesmania, along with Ghostbusters, Paperboy 2 and Taboo. It's supposed to be pretty bad.

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

You can win shootouts? I have never figured out how to stop a shot during the shootouts. Thats actually why I put more time on the clock. I had to make sure I get a goal every time because a tie ends up being a loss. Never played goal 1. May get there later, but probably going to start on dusty diamond tonight. 

I tried Dusty Diamond's last year, but I couldn't beat the Amazon team in the final game. It seemed like they would just crush home runs no matter what I did.

44 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Well I guess in the interest of transparency I'll do the same. I'm at the final sanctuary area, doing my final grind to take on the bosses. I'm still fairly low level, around 22/20/18 or so, but I'll probably finish it today?

How did you get through the Cave to Rhone with this low level? When I met a group of dragons or something they would annihilate me within a single round with their flame breaths or whatever. I had to grind up to level 26-28 to have a decent chance of getting through there. And I think I leveled to over 30 to take on the final boss.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

How did you get through the Cave to Rhone with this low level? When I met a group of dragons or something they would annihilate me within a single round with their flame breaths or whatever. I had to grind up to level 26-28 to have a decent chance of getting through there. And I think I leveled to over 30 to take on the final boss.

A combination of factors: I got really lucky running away from basically all battles, I had all the best equipment you can get, and I made many, many attempts. Essentially I was doing my "grinding" by killing what battles I could handle, running from the battles I couldn't handle, and then just escaping or dying, and trying again. I did this from ~16ish through ~20ish when I made it through.

Now I'm doing my grind from that point to ~30ish to take on the mini-bosses and eventually the boss.

For those who haven't played it, definitely do. It's not as good as DW3 or 4, but in my opinion is vastly superior to DW1, though obviously 1 was pioneering. There's a lot more strategy and thought you have to put into the battles. It can be brutally unfair if you get bad RNG though, and there's not much you can do about it, depending how bad your luck is. Lots of enemies can sleep lock you and destroy you without any input on your behalf, you can be hit by defeat, sacrifice...all kinds of nastiness. But it keeps you on your toes instead of being a boring slog.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think I've played it about 5 minutes total. Maybe I should try it since I actually liked the first one. 

Since we're being transparent, I played it about 5 years ago and got to the final boss and haven't beaten them. I still have my save game and at some point plan on loading it up, and grinding if I need to, to finally beat the game. It won't count for this thread, but when they start a "beat every game in the 21st century" I'll be ready.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried Dusty Diamond's last year, but I couldn't beat the Amazon team in the final game. It seemed like they would just crush home runs no matter what I did.

I got to the amazons last night and will play them tonight. Its all about knowing who the best pitchers are and hitting the corners of the plate. If you throw down the middle, they crush them. And if you dont have one of the games better pitchers, they will rip you up no matter how well you pitch. 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I got to the amazons last night and will play them tonight. Its all about knowing who the best pitchers are and hitting the corners of the plate. If you throw down the middle, they crush them. And if you dont have one of the games better pitchers, they will rip you up no matter how well you pitch. 

I figured the only option was to hope that you can score even more runs than they do. I'll have to give it another try sometime.