IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Finally, after 14 days of playing 5-6 tedious games a day of Bases Loaded, I finally finished up the final few games this morning. Like @bronzeshield, I estimate about 39 hours to finish, including about an hour of restarting when the game froze a few times.

I'm going to finish up Bases Loaded 2-4 in a couple of hours and data dump all of them here at once without comment 😆

Ok, seriously, I'm going to finish up Ultima Exodus this weekend.

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

I don't understand why people bash RPGs for being long and tedious with their random battles, when sports games repeat the same-ish gameplay over and over again. I'm not even sure if any of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games took me 39 hours last year. Maybe the fourth game came close to that.

Anyway, kudos to everyone who finishes up one of these long and tedious sports games!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I don't understand why people bash RPGs for being long and tedious with their random battles, when sports games repeat the same-ish gameplay over and over again. I'm not even sure if any of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games took me 39 hours last year. Maybe the fourth game came close to that.

Anyway, kudos to everyone who finishes up one of these long and tedious sports games!

I agree Gaia, every game is repetitive if you think about it, how many times are you stomping on enemies in SMB? And realistically there are so many scenarios with different enemy compositions, party compositions, status ailments, hp/mp values, item management, that really most battles in a (good) RPG are pretty dynamic.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

What is short and painful with 18 letters?

Reveal hidden contents

Mickey Mousecapade

430870887_MickeyMousecapade.jpg.cf4ffd80ed1fd28ee37f85074374bcaa.jpg

Lol, you bastard! I tried beating that one yesterday. I'm still gonna finish it for my personal back log. I never completed it when I was a kid. Basically when you got to level 2 the game was over. 

12 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Well, I double-checked my master list and I have 346 entries. Granted, I don't keep separate lists: NES and Famicom, licensed and unlicensed, games published in the era, prototypes, ROM hacks, and homebrews... if I beat it on an NES or a Famicom, it's on this list.

That’s wild, My personal goal for this year is to hit the 50 mark. There is still a lot of more popular games I’ve yet to finish, so I think it’s a doable goal. 

I think the difference is that RPGs are at least on many people's radar as something potentially worth playing if they avoid, work around, or compensate for the tedious aspects, and could be interesting to hear or read about even if they don't. Sports games largely aren't on the radar; gamers on the internet who aren't already fans of particular sports don't pay attention to current sports games and don't reflect back much on older ones past maybe a few nostalgia points like Tecmo Super Bowl and NBA Jam.

9 hours ago, Khromak said:

I probably won't do 3, at least not for a while. I really enjoy the lolo games, but I think grinding through 2 in a night has sated my interest in them for the time being

That’s where I’m at, if I play it I’m doing it slow. The game is fun but between the passwords and length, it makes it a tough grind 

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

Lol, you bastard! I tried beating that one yesterday. I'm still gonna finish it for my personal back log. I never completed it when I was a kid. Basically when you got to level 2 the game was over. 

Sorry. I didn't play that one to piss you off or anything. It's just one of the easier games that I can finish in about 30 minutes or so. The second level is quite annoying. You have to take the waves on every platform into consideration. What makes this easier though is that somewhere in the middle or so of stage 2 there was a hidden healing item that heals you fully. Just jump and shoot randomly in the air then you can sometimes find helpful healing items.

Just beat Iron Tank as well. Went smoother than last year, but the final boss was still quite the pain. Sometimes it's really better to just run through instead of fighting the enemies.

Iron Tank.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 401/677
3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm the same with with Contra and Super C. I'm pretty good at Contra and horrible at Super C, so I much prefer Contra.

I'm about even on the Contra games. I can usually beat both on one life without much trouble. I maxed out the score on Contra once. The slowdown gets ridiculous around the fourth loop.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm about even on the Contra games. I can usually beat both on one life without much trouble. I maxed out the score on Contra once. The slowdown gets ridiculous around the fourth loop.

I've reached loop 7 in Contra. I'd like to max it someday. It's a top 5 NES game for me.