IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

2 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

With the bosses my strategy so far has been mash the sword and hope they die first, which has been working beautifully so far😛 I just didn't bother trying again this time because I had been grinding the last stages for a while and didn't feel like doing it again. But now that I've beaten all the levels in world 6 it shouldn't be too bad getting back to it.

Considering how punishing your first run will feel, it's surprisingly quick to get a good feel for the stages and master them, due to their puzzle-like nature.
Ninja Gaiden doesn't take that long to conquer, but the feeling is no less satisfying.

Yeah, most of the bosses in the game are poor pushovers, but that one boss, the second phase of the final boss, is one of the most memorable fights on the NES IMO, when you're fighting it legit. You definitely can't get away with not knowing what you are doing. You need to understand exactly how it works to have a shot at it.

Just wrapped up the 6th game of the years....The Last is Us..... woof what a game. I never played a modern game let alone one this story driven. In the beginning the talking was getting to me but once I got into it what a ride. I started looking at it as a interactive movie and wanted to see what came next. Have to say one of the best games I ever played.

Now I have to decide if I want to stick to my guns and go back my list or jump into the DLC included in the Remastered version or go one to The Last of Us II. Decisions.

Thanks to @Reed Rothchildfor starting this thread of I would have never got around to it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

Just wrapped up the 6th game of the years....The Last is Us..... woof what a game. I never played a modern game let alone one this story driven. In the beginning the talking was getting to me but once I got into it what a ride. I started looking at it as a interactive movie and wanted to see what came next. Have to say one of the best games I ever played.

Now I have to decide if I want to stick to my guns and go back my list or jump into the DLC included in the Remastered version or go one to The Last of Us II. Decisions.

Thanks to @Reed Rothchildfor starting this thread of I would have never got around to it. 

Welcome to the 21st century! Now I feel like I have to bump up my playthrough of Last of Us. I suppose I could delay Demon's Souls further...

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I just lost an hour plus in Resident Evil Zero because a giant frog came out of nowhere and one-shot swallowed me (while my partner sat and watched).

Uh................ that would be a dealbreaker if I wasn't so damn resolute in finishing shit.  COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY GAME.

• Haha 2

Trying to beat 5 games is probably too ambitious. I would be happy if I beat Super Mario 2. Milon's I would love to beat, but it might be too hard. I might have a chance if I use a strategy guide. I just remembered I should put Super Metroid on this list. I started that when I got the SNES mini but then I got distracted and haven't touched it again. I need to play more with that console.

• Super Mario 2
  • Super Metroid
  • Milon's Secret Castle <-- unlikely, but it would be nice!
Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Time to start calling people out...starting with @ZeldaFreak and @ChickenTendas !

You're being shown up by old men.

Yeah, I know I'm a bit late in starting to chip away at my list. I am going to start working on it very soon, I'm just trying to get through a couple other games I'm in the process of playing first before working on the stuff on my list. I'll get to it though, don't worry!

Events Team · Posted

I'm planning on starting out with Final Fantasy VI and VII, and then Chrono Trigger later on, since those types of games are pretty much completely new territory for me, whereas a lot of the other stuff on my list is stuff I'd be a little more comfortable and familiar with.

• Like 1

I asked ChickenTendas to pick out a game from my list, and he picked Legend of the Mystical Ninja aka Ganbare Goemon.

I've briefly tried this game many times, and it never really grabbed me. The walking around town visiting houses thing just fely annoying to me, and I was unsure what kind of game it was really trying to be.
But once you get into it, it's really great. It's much more of an action game than I thought it would be.

Still not a fan of the "town" segments - some more varied scenery in those parts to make navigating them actually feel more engaging would have gone a long way. But I do like the pacing between the exploration based areas and the more action oriented stages and badass boss fights.
Not sure how I feel about the game pushing you to grind for money alongside a punishing design where messing up will actively make the game harder for you and force you to pay even more money. It's the "up to 11" version of losing your spreadshot in Contra.

12 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm planning on starting out with Final Fantasy VI and VII, and then Chrono Trigger later on, since those types of games are pretty much completely new territory for me

If this is new territory for you, I wholeheartedly recommend that you start out with Chrono Trigger!

Back in the days I tried playing FF6 first, and the command based battles and random encounters really felt intrusive to me, hindering my enjoyment of the game. In CT the way battles are incorporated they feel much more smooth and pleasant (provided you aren't playing the PS1 version that is), and it's a great way to prep you for the other titles.

That said, I do think FF6 is an even better game than CT.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Beat Cyber Shadow, great old school throwback.  That last climb up the tower and final bosses deff tested me.

Got that Werewolf game coming, I don’t have high hopes but am curious. Also “New Super Mario Bros 3D Land Wii U Deluxe For Switch Plus Bowsers Fury” or whatever is out soon.

FF806B82-0C1C-4B80-8B83-F81E58668836.jpeg

• Like 3