IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

48 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin on the DS are worth checking out. If you haven’t already. 

I've been wanting to check out more of the GBA and DS titles. I've played a few minutes of Aria of Sorrow but that's about it. I'll definitely find some time to give the series a proper chance.

Edited by Webhead123

Finally got a chance to get my AVS hooked up and start playing Zelda II for the first time in close to 30 years.  Made some (in my mind) really solid progress, with 3 towns visited (spells obtained) and 0 palaces beaten at the end of my first save, then 4 towns visited (spells & techniques obtained) and 2.5 palaces beaten at the end of my second (showing 003 due to a continue).  Note:  Thus far, all gameplay has occurred using an Acclaim Double Player wireless controller in order to keep the AVS (relatively) safe from the baby, since mine was a first run and I've never had the "fix" for the USB power port done yet.

Apparently I'm just used to grinding in RPGs, as my "stats" were at 3/3/4 before trying to take on my first palace, then 6/7/7 when trying to get through the last.  Initially didn't look up maps or anything to help (even though the game came with a rough one, IIRC) and ended up scratching my head going, "Why is this first palace so tough" before realizing that I'd actually missed/skipped the first one and started trying to hammer through the second one in the swamp first, lol.  Can't recall if I exploited this back in the day, but realized after beating my first palace that the xp awarded for using a crystal isn't static and is just whatever you need to get to your next level, so I made sure to boost my XP something fierce and finish off whatever stat I'm most of the way toward before beating the next one to get a nice, free 3-4K instead of a couple hundred.  😎

Still debating whether I'm going to get back into it again this evening or call it an early night (for me), but with luck, this won't stay on my permanent backlog for much longer.

Save 1

Save 2

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

@MagusSmurf Do you have a backloggery or something?  Looks like you're quite prolific.

I've got a gamefaqs account.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/axemredranger/games

I'm not nearly as well-played as my backlog completion so far probably suggests though. I wanted to start getting through games in a more systematic way and figured taking on the NES around one game per day would be a good place to start; had already been moving at a pace close to this late last year. It helps that my job that doesn't really suffer if completing a game the night before before dragged on a little. I was also a little cowardly and didn't put much in the way of truly difficult games on my list so as to ensure I can actually get through it all; I'm not sure, say, Battletoads, Adventure Island 1, or some of the harder shoot-em-ups would be happening any time soon. I guess there's Ghosts n Goblins but I've beaten the first loop before and completed the Arcade version so I'm pretty sure that one's doable. Batman's probably been the toughest I've done so far.

Had been planning on trying to hit all three Famicom Ys games last weekend but after being disappointed with its version of Ys I I played three different versions of Ys I (Famicom/SMS/Turbo CD) instead.

• Famicom version is awful, agonizingly slow especially with healing, missing a few things but then includes blatant filler elsewhere, and bizarre and punitive with how you get damaged at times.
  • SMS version is better and probably reasonably close to the PC-88 original but still fairly grindy and slow; didn't find it particularly fun. Felt like the bump system just decided not to work sometimes despite me moving into enemies while off-center.
  • Turbo CD verison is still awesome.
  • I've heard the final boss even in some of these versions had a reputation for ridiculous difficulty several times now (there's https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-rpgs/87 offhand) but he was pretty easy in all three of these and doesn't look any harder in the original PC-88 version based on video.

16 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Decided to totally sabotage myself and started a new game last night instead of taking on the backlog. The game is Cyber Shadow and it is awesome. Suck it @Reed Rothchild!

Started another new game tonight... But this time it is on the backlog! Borderlands 3 co-op with one of my good buddies. So far it's a blast. Weapons have way more variety than the previous two mainline games and are really fun to use. Adding alternate fire modes to a lot of weapons really increases the variety. I think we'll stick with this one and finish it in the next month or two. Moving along!

Events Helper · Posted

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClWWY0MVafm4IjDJ9hxs29g

I'm logging my plays through youtube as much as possible, so if you wanna check it out and see any games that i play feel free to do so.  I would suggest if you can, to do so as well because honestly some of them i might wanna see and play 😉.  Might find a game I would like if you do.  

• Like 1

Meant to get this posted yesterday, but, as it turns out, I was nursing what was to be the first of two kidney stones I'd suffer through from yesterday evening through midday today.  All good and fine now, but no further progress today.  However:

Yesterday I managed to max out Link's stats, get 6 towns visited (with all spells & techniques obtained) and 5 palaces beaten (with all goodies therein obtained).  IIRC, at this point I've got one final "regular" palace to beat, and then the final one, at which point I'll have to suffer through the Link vs his shadow fight that I've heard about over the years and which is apparently both challenging as well as not a bit of fun, lol.

Save 3

• Wow! 2

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@BortLicensePlate Those bosses stay dead when you beat them

You mean each form? That makes it much more comforting actually.

I have found all the bosses really easy so far. I only gave this boss one go because I didn't want to play through all those levels again right now, but if I only need to kill each one once thats not too bad. Should be able to finish this on my next go

7 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

You mean each form? That makes it much more comforting actually.

I have found all the bosses really easy so far. I only gave this boss one go because I didn't want to play through all those levels again right now, but if I only need to kill each one once thats not too bad. Should be able to finish this on my next go

The second form of the final boss is the worst. Combined with the time-wasting bullshittery of being constantly sent back to 6-1, he's the reason I've yet to properly beat the game.

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

If you're sent back to 6-1 he automatically becomes easy, though, because you can just bring a subweapon to the fight and cheese him.

Getting sent back to 6-1 isn't really an issue anyway, because of course the whole point is that you don't die, and don't get sent back. 😉 

I usually use up all my sub weapons in the main stage, there's a couple areas before the last boss that are a pain otherwise. With the bosses my strategy so far has been mash the sword and hope they die first, which has been working beautifully so far😛 I just didn't bother trying again this time because I had been grinding the last stages for a while and didn't feel like doing it again. But now that I've beaten all the levels in world 6 it shouldn't be too bad getting back to it.

15 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

The second form of the final boss is the worst. Combined with the time-wasting bullshittery of being constantly sent back to 6-1, he's the reason I've yet to properly beat the game.

I guess I'll find out when I get to him. Makes it a bit more stressful knowing if you fuck up you get sent back

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/31/2021 at 11:37 AM, BortLicensePlate said:

Got to the final boss of Ninja Gaiden (first form). Then died. Then went all the way back to 6-1. Then rage quit.

Fuckin game.

On the plus side I got pretty good at wall climbing and slash cancels, so thats cool

This is exactly what happened to me when I sunk my teeth into Ninja Gaiden a few years back. Multiple days of abusing continues to get to the last stage, only to immediately get wrecked by the final boss and thrown all the way back to 6-1.
I still haven't had the heart to give it a serious effort again haha. 

Best of luck, Bort.

-CasualCart

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

This is exactly what happened to me when I sunk my teeth into Ninja Gaiden a few years back. Multiple days of abusing continues to get to the last stage, only to immediately get wrecked by the final boss and thrown all the way back to 6-1.
I still haven't had the heart to give it a serious effort again haha. 

Best of luck, Bort.

-CasualCart

Haha man that feeling of defeat after all that work to beat the last couple levels only to be sent all the way back. I'm going to keep at it though while I still have the muscle memory. 

That said I am enjoying the game a lot, its very rewarding when you make progress

• Like 1