IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

😩 and what the hell is this?!  I can’t even input this.

These are all games I'd like to see played/beaten. It's a shame they're sitting there untouched. Some I've beaten in the past, but for backlog purposes I consider a game not beaten unless I've beaten

Woo, I beat Journey to Silius - and I have to say, I’m marginally proud of myself because I found it quite difficult, with the exception of the last stage and final boss which I thought were pretty ea

Posted Images

Member · Posted
4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Third time's the charm.  After Castlevania locked up twice on Death's stage, I had to abandon the NES and cart and buy it on Switch.  And yeah, I had to use the holy water on Death, fighting him legit was just not working out.

Er9L7t9UYAUVXPo?format=jpg&name=large

I'm glad I have the version cart that doesn't lock up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MagusSmurf said:

being any good at symphony of the night isn't necessary to beat it

so you're probably fine!

Yeah, SotN is one of those games that you can just kinda "brute force" your way through. If a particular spot is giving you a hard time, just check your heaps of gear and items to see if there's something you can equip that will help out. Honestly, Alucard ends the game with enough loot to fund the establishment of his own barony. It's kinda ridiculous and my one main annoyance with the game.

• Like 1

I'm putting in my practice on DuckTales at the moment. While I rented once or twice back in the day, it's not a game I "grew up with", so it's taking a fair bit of practice and patience to get through some of the stages. I'm finding that the hit detection on 'ole Scrooge feels a little unfair. His hit box seems to extend more than a few pixels outside his body. The cane bounce is also surprisingly fussy about when and where it wants to work. It won't work if you land near the edge of a platform. Sometimes, it will randomly stop working in mid-air.

It's an incredibly charming and fun game, for sure. I guess I'm just a little surprised by how much of a challenge these little quirks have been. I've spent several nights trying to get solid enough with the controls and memorization to get through 3 of the stages. I still can barely finish the Amazon...which is teeth-grindingly annoying for some reason. Even with extra heart power-ups.

...and all this coming from a guy who can no-death Contra. Then again, I've had 30+ years of practice playing Contra. It's gonna take me a while to get that comfortable with DT.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

in case you’re playing on the Disney Afternoon Collection, try turning off vsync if it’s on. I played duck tales on there a couple months ago and it seemed to make a big difference.

Nah, I'm playing on an original cart. I'm slowly adjusting. It's just a game that I don't have a lot of practice or experience with, which is kinda cool as it feels like I'm exploring something new...even though it's 30 years old! 😆

I gotta say though, DT has some rockin' music in most of its stages. I wasn't super keen on the Transylvania theme at first but even that is starting to grow on me.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Wow! 1
Member · Posted
12 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm putting in my practice on DuckTales at the moment. While I rented once or twice back in the day, it's not a game I "grew up with", so it's taking a fair bit of practice and patience to get through some of the stages. I'm finding that the hit detection on 'ole Scrooge feels a little unfair. His hit box seems to extend more than a few pixels outside his body. The cane bounce is also surprisingly fussy about when and where it wants to work. It won't work if you land near the edge of a platform. Sometimes, it will randomly stop working in mid-air.

It's an incredibly charming and fun game, for sure. I guess I'm just a little surprised by how much of a challenge these little quirks have been. I've spent several nights trying to get solid enough with the controls and memorization to get through 3 of the stages. I still can barely finish the Amazon...which is teeth-grindingly annoying for some reason. Even with extra heart power-ups.

...and all this coming from a guy who can no-death Contra. Then again, I've had 30+ years of practice playing Contra. It's gonna take me a while to get that comfortable with DT.

I found the best approach was to start on easy to learn all the levels, then move up to medium to find all the hidden stuff then power through it on hard because you have mastered the levels. 

I always hate doing the Amazon stage so would always start with that. The Moon stage is so much fun, definitely one of my favourite platformer levels ever made. And the music is just so good in that level.

I want to replay this game now haha.

• Like 2
  1. Mega Man X2 (SNES) - complete
  2. Gargoyle’s Quest II (NES) - unbeaten
  3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Gamecube) - unbeaten
  4. DuckTales (NES) - unbeaten
  5. Mega Man X (SNES) - complete
  6. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - unbeaten
  7. Metalstorm (NES) - unbeaten
  8. Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch) - unbeaten
  9. Splatterhouse (TG-16) - unbeaten
  10. Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis) - unbeaten
  11. Final Fantasy V (GBA) - unbeaten
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) - unbeaten
  13. Breath of Fire II (SNES) - unbeaten
  14. Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition (GB) - unbeaten
  15. Paper Mario (N64) - unbeaten
  16. Mega Man III (NES) - unbeaten
  17. Brain Lord (SNES) - unbeaten
  18. Rescue Ranger (NES) - unbeaten
  19. Sonic the Hedgehog II (Genesis) – unbeaten
  20. Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) – unbeaten

LOG:

Started Metalstorm

Edited by ScaryD
  • Like 2
Graphics Team · Posted

I've been messing around a bit with mega man 3 and duck tales and so far I thought both games were quite good but neither has really grabbed me yet. Today I popped in Ninja Gaiden and I think this game is fantastic. I am hooked. Gunnuh try to beat this one before the end of the month, to meet my 1 game per month goal.

Got to 5-2 today.

• Like 3