IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted

Been a bit distracted with work and Runescape, but I actually finished 2 games today (one not on the list). 

Demon's Tier+ on Vita was pretty fun, ended up getting the platinum trophy (just had to beat the relatively short game 3 times). 

I've also been playing and just finished Rage 2 since it was free on Epic Games (pc). 

I might take a break from Runescape for a bit to play some games. I've been stuck grinding a specific boss for a while now, RNG has not been my friend. 

- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)

- Super Metroid (SNES)

- Paper Mario (N64)

- Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

- Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix (PS4)

- Phoenix Wright Trilogy (Switch)

Edit 1:

- Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) (Completed, 100% on 3/17)

- Harvest Moon DS

- Zelda Phantom Hourglass (DS)

- Kirby Tripple Deluxe (3DS)

- Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

- Bravely Default (3DS)

A nice little list of backlog games for now. So many classics on this list, it's a crime I've never played them already.

Edit 1: Added several DS and 3DS games since I'm absolutely loving the system right now, and it is where most of my time is going at the moment whenever I am not working on the Beat All N64 thread or Survivor. 

Officially beat my first backlog game, the first Professor Layton, on 3/17!

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 1

Finally hunkering down and getting to the end of Paper Mario: Origami King. I'm just about to clear the green streamer and can't wait to be done. The game is extremely charming, but the battle system is just so so so terrible. I've said it a dozen times before, but this would be one of my all-time favorite Mario games if it just had a standard battle system. Missed opportunity for sure.

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Have you played the old Bioware games?  Is it at all comparable?

I played the original Baldur's Gate on release, and didn't like it either. I'm not sure if it's really comparable though. I don't think the idea behind this style of game itself is broken, it just seems to accept way too many stupid ideas as the one way to do stuff. I actually also do like the combat in Wasteland 2, even though it's incredibly shallow.

Divinity Original Sin (both of them) is a much better example of how to pull off this idea and actually make the skills you level up feel like an involving part of the game's world, rather than different arbitrary ways to make a progress bar fill up. I really liked those games.

Paper Mario complete! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll just say that people should definitely give it a shot. If you like the battle system, you're in for an absolute treat. If, like me, you don't enjoy the battle system, there is still a lot to love.

JWyFoO1.jpg

So what should I play next? The world is my oyster, but I'm thinking The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

• Like 8

Editorials Team · Posted

Finally knocked out a game from the list. Mega Man I for GB. My full thoughts are in the Beat All GB Games thread, but let's just say I was coddled by the frequent passwords in the first levels, then destroyed by the passwordless and ridiculous second half. Time to catch up!

IJCOrMc.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Splain said:

Finally knocked out a game from the list. Mega Man I for GB. My full thoughts are in the Beat All GB Games thread, but let's just say I was coddled by the frequent passwords in the first levels, then destroyed by the passwordless and ridiculous second half. Time to catch up!

This was one of the GB games I had when I was young and I never did beat it because of the latter half, as you mention. I haven't played it since then. I really should go back and try it again.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

This was one of the GB games I had when I was young and I never did beat it because of the latter half, as you mention. I haven't played it since then. I really should go back and try it again.

There are so many "gotcha" traps it throws at you, I literally had to take notes to make sure I equipped the right weapons before each screen transition. It takes so long to get back to where you were, and then you drop down a hole and boom. Insta-death spikes. I rage-quit probably 20 times before finally beating it. But each time I knew... it was still in my backlog.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 8:24 PM, Mr. CIB said:

I must admit Nights into Dreams isn’t my type of game. Not sure what it is but I wish I didn’t add it to my backlog. 

I got my act together and got the Cs I needed to get to the final stage and complete the game this morning. I just wish the game made this clear from the beginning.

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 10:36 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Paper Mario complete! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll just say that people should definitely give it a shot. If you like the battle system, you're in for an absolute treat. If, like me, you don't enjoy the battle system, there is still a lot to love.

JWyFoO1.jpg

So what should I play next? The world is my oyster, but I'm thinking The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

After a short break playing some Tetris Effect, I decided to start The Last of Us Remastered (PS4 on PS5) as my next backlog game. Holy cow! What an amazing opening 15 minutes. It quickly devolves into more generic third-person dystopian zombie stuff, but I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This is one I never played. Did you use that special Nights controller? If so, did that make it any better?

Yes, I used the special Nights 3D controller and it made it tons easier. My gripe was the game wasn't clear that you needed to get a certain letter grade on each course in order to advance to the final boss leaving you to go back thru the stages you didn't get the grade (in my case all but 1). I'm not one to look up how to beat online and even reading thru the manual didn't give much tips. Old school gaming at it's finest. Its worth a play for sure. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

I must admit Nights into Dreams isn’t my type of game. Not sure what it is but I wish I didn’t add it to my backlog. 

I’m playing through it too and I agree. I’m really struggling to enjoy this game and don’t get the hype. Maybe it is a game that was better at the time. 

Thanks for the tip on having to get a C or more to unlock the final boss.

• Like 1

Mid-March Update
The Pathless, Carrion, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2, and Sunset Riders cleared.  Working on Mario 3D World and after that I still have Bowser's Fury.  Should keep me busy for awhile.

13E7E256-868C-4EF6-8893-AC9BD0BC4E61.jpeg

6617E56F-985C-43F4-9C08-0831B512481C.jpeg

6138551C-1713-466E-93F0-AC5BA2BE6FAC.jpeg

AAA7A977-EF7E-47AB-97FE-F3C5C72BF5C6.jpeg

Edited by fox
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, fox said:

Mid-March Update
The Pathless, Carrion, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2, and Sunset Riders cleared.  Working on Mario 3D World and after that I still have Bowser's Fury.  Should keep me busy for awhile.

About how long did Carrion take? 

Just now, Gloves said:

About how long did Carrion take? 

5 hours.  I only got 4 of the 9 optional upgrades, so I didn't 100% it.  Only needed a map at the very end, since you need to return to the starting area (I forgot where it was) and the overworld is huge by that point.  Very unique and fun game!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, fox said:

Mid-March Update

How were Pathless and Curse of the Moon? I'm definitely interested in both.