IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

11 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm in the same boat. It wasn't a game I grew up with but it is Contra, so it had my attention upon learning of it. I've not sat down to beat it yet but I have spent a fair bit of time fooling around with the first few stages. It's good and I'm blown away that Sega got a Contra game but it definitely isn't preferable to the NES or SNES entries. Actually, I think I liked Contra: ReBirth better than Hard Corps. And I have yet to play Contra 4. I really need to get ahold of that one.

Contra 4 is the best Contra game that is not original Contra. It is fantastic and the way it uses the DS screens is genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I did eventually get bored of Into the Breach, but it took me much longer to get to that point then you did. Your criticisms are mostly fair. Although, I'll say for number 2 the real upgrades are unlocking new mechs. But the reason why I enjoyed it at times more than other Tactics games is the gameplay is more like a puzzle, where you have perfect info and just need to figure out the solution. If I spent long enough, I almost always was able to find a way out, which felt great when I finally did. 

Yes, I agree that I think the game's approach to longevity was through getting you to unlock new mech squads. The idea that those are out there certainly offers some motivation to keep going but, for me anyway, it wasn't enough. I think it would have helped if the individual campaigns lasted longer and thus there was more of a chance to actually upgrade your squad beyond "+1 move speed for this guy, +1 damage for that guy...campaign's over. Reset." To combat this, in addition to the ONE pilot you get to take with you, it would be nice if they would let you take one upgrade or maybe at least one reactor core with you on your next run. You know...so it felt like you could actually develop your squad into something cool instead of just almost literally repeating your same progress multiple times. I'm thinking something like Rogue Legacy, where you have to start over when you lose but each run feels like it's accomplishing something by the incremental little upgrades that you get to build up over the course of time.

I will say, there was a positive to my time with Into the Breach...and that is it's gotten me to load up Darkest Dungeon again. What a great (but also sometimes frustrating) game!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

We've always wanted to play our dusty copy of Dragon Warrior 2, because everyone tells us it's a stone-cold classic.  But who has the time, right?

well my "copy" can't exactly accumulate dust (unless we're talking GBC DWI&II but I'm not) and it was a replay but done.

and wow, this was a cruel troll in the op

Wrapped up A Way Out on the XBox One. I haven’t played a couch co-op in some years and recruited the significant other to play. Needless to say gaming isn’t her thing and my 5 year old son took over after about an hour. While I think it’s an excellent game and a must play.... I was so proud of my kid holding his own and figuring out some puzzles before I did 🙂 put a smile on the old mans face. No spoilers but woof real deep at the end 

• Like 4

Now I remember why I hate some NES games. No $&@“ save password and you have to sit here for freakin hours on end because you don’t want to start from the beginning. I don’t want to use any cheats, codes or Google. P.S. Castlevania 1 was a drag 30 years ago and it still is ..... IMO. Can’t wait till this s@&t is over with. I don’t want to play this crap tomorrow 

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

Castlevania 1 takes less than half an hour to play through, it doesn't need a save password. 🙂 

For what it's worth though, the game was originally designed with a save feature. It was just taken out for the cartridge version.

I knocked it out today in about 1 hour. Took a break after driving myself nuts yesterday. Great game but I’m never playing it again lol. Off to something I can save and come back to. 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

And finally! I’ve completed Donkey Kong Country 2! 

After having finished it I have a hard time still saying that I like the first one better because I don’t know if it’s just nostalgia. This game was very fun and crisp, good graphics and controls. Only a few levels really tripped me up (as the first did too). The levels were definitely more inspired from the first one. 

My only real complaints are that saving costs 2 coins after the first time and that stupid dang snake. Geez I hated those levels. 

Overall, very much. 8/10

9D962170-7BA0-4680-B235-A24340292103.jpeg

• Like 6

Another one bites the dust. Super Metroid down.

I’ve started this game so many times over the years and then got distracted by another game. That’s why I thought it would be a perfect game for the backlog. Glad to have finally finished it.

Not my favourite Metroid game but still a fantastic game overall.

• Like 3

Started Wasteland 2 a few days ago...

I like the game well enough, and I'm compelled enough to keep playing it, but it feels like a really dumb game that pretends to be smarter by adding in a bunch of useless mechanics and numbers to hide how simple it is. Not sure why people love this so much.

Events Team · Posted

Just wanted to post to say that I'm finally starting to chip away at my backlog. Took me much, much longer than I initially anticipated, really sorry it took me so long to get started on it, been having a rough couple weeks and just really wasn't feeling it for awhile, but the important part is that I am indeed working on it now, and on @Sumez's recommendation, I'm starting off with Chrono Trigger rather than Final Fantasy VI like I initially intended. I haven't gotten very far in to it, but I've really enjoyed what I have played thus far! Still trying to get a hang of the mechanics, being brand new to JRPGs like this (as evidenced by the fact that I almost died at the very first boss, haha) but I'm sure I'll get a grip on things eventually. Really looking forward to playing it some more, and finally dipping my toes in to the JRPG genre! I'll make sure to post updates in here on how I'm doing with my backlog every once in awhile 🙂

cde2c79b39aabc76691132d8f8c2b8ef.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

CT is definitely the best possible introduction to the genre.

The combat never gets very tactical, but it's usually brief and satisfying, so it's welcoming to beginners. The lack of completely random encounters means they won't feel as obstructive as when a Final Fantasy game decides to randomly whisk you away to a separate scene while you're minding your own business.

Having to learn to deal with both that and command based combat can be very taxing for someone not experienced in the genre I think. But once you learn to embrace the battle scenes rather than get annoyed by them, I think Final Fantasy VI will offer an even better overall experience than Chrono Trigger. Both games are masterpieces, and they both pick up in their respective final chapters as tons of optional little adventures start to open up on the world map.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Sumez said:

CT is definitely the best possible introduction to the genre.

The combat never gets very tactical, but it's usually brief and satisfying, so it's welcoming to beginners. The lack of completely random encounters means they won't feel as obstructive as when a Final Fantasy game decides to randomly whisk you away to a separate scene while you're minding your own business.

Having to learn to deal with both that and command based combat can be very taxing for someone not experienced in the genre I think. But once you learn to embrace the battle scenes rather than get annoyed by them, I think Final Fantasy VI will offer an even better overall experience than Chrono Trigger. Both games are masterpieces.

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation on starting out with CT rather than FFVI! It definitely sounds like this game will ease me in to the genre a bit more than FFVI would've.