IGNORED

Music Debate #95: Michael Bolton

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

My wife and I made an entire Spotify playlist we called "Your in JC Penny's with Mom, she's looking at clothes and you are bored out of your mind" mix.

Ok, it's a mouthful, but for two kids of the early-80s, it was odd how many songs mutually made that list. Specifically, they are songs that today evoke this wierd nostalgia that isn't quite happy but you 100% equate to that bored feeling of shopping in a department store and there is NOTHING TO DO, but still you enjoy it. It's 200% adult contemporary, but not every adult contemp song evokes that feeling. It's just the most boring ones.

Bolton didn't make that list because we didn't think of him but I am sure some of these belong on there.

Events Team · Posted

Reed's dirty little secret here is Michael Bolton was a hair rocker in the 70s and early 80s.  I'm sure the stuff makes it into his regular rotation.  

Bolton also auditioned to replace Dio in Black Sabbath so the legend goes.

His rocker days aren't too bad, honestly.  A sight better than his smooth adult contemporary persona that catapulted him to fame and success.  

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Now, I'm not going to say that's amazing @JamesRobot (definitely has Sammy Hagar derivative vibes) but it's 100x better than his adult contemporary stuff! I had no clue he was a metal rocker. I mean, I could definitely find myself putting that on a long 80s metal playlist and enjoying it. Not original sounding, but still pretty good.