IGNORED

Ultra 64 logo project

Guests · Posted

Hey!

I've been working on a Ultra 64 logo for some time now. Basically I'm redrawing it from a magazine scan. I've been posting WIP-images and thoughts here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nintendo_64_forever/my-take-on-the-ultra-64-logo-t8609.html but I thought this project might be interesting to at least a few people here at VGS as well 🙂

I should soon be done with it, haven't really been in a rush, haha. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing with it when it's finished, but I have some ideas. It would be cool to make a Ultra 64 badge/faceplate for the console (which I'm aware has already been done). I'm not sure on how to do the actual badge though.

Ultra64_logo_wip4.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guests · Posted

I did some more work this morning. There might be some minimal tweaking to do, but other than that the logo is finished. I'll be making a custom EverDrive-64 background which I'll share here. It would be cool to make a label for the cart as well, I'll have to think about that.

Ultra64_logo_wip5.jpg

Guests · Posted

@erac That's a great suggestion. My first thought as well, don't have a 3D printer though 😅 I asked someone who knows more about this than me and he said 3d printing will require polishing, plus the materials he'd seen, yellow pretty quickly. 

An alternative would be to create a mold and cast in resin perhaps. It's not something I've done before, but it would be fun to try.

When the model is ready, you can order them from a service like shapeways that use industrial quality printers. For prototyping however, getting the measurements exactly right, it would be good to have a printer locally. Maybe your library or a near hackspace has one you can use for cheap.

Guests · Posted
3 hours ago, erac said:

When the model is ready, you can order them from a service like shapeways that use industrial quality printers. For prototyping however, getting the measurements exactly right, it would be good to have a printer locally. Maybe your library or a near hackspace has one you can use for cheap.

Yeah I agree, it will probably take a couple of tries. I'll see what my options are. Not sure I'll be doing the actual badge though, but it would be really nice to be able to make that part as well.

If you just want to make one or two of these, you could get a coupe busted N64 shells with good badges, then use some solvent to clean off the back image of the standard N64 badge.  Then, glue a high-quality print of your image on the badge.

Of course, if you want to produce these and sell them, that's not the best suggestion. But, if you just want a few of these for your own system, then that's a way to get it close.

Guests · Posted
4 hours ago, RH said:

If you just want to make one or two of these, you could get a coupe busted N64 shells with good badges, then use some solvent to clean off the back image of the standard N64 badge.  Then, glue a high-quality print of your image on the badge.

Of course, if you want to produce these and sell them, that's not the best suggestion. But, if you just want a few of these for your own system, then that's a way to get it close.

Yes. I plan to start with that. I actually have an extra badge, though I would like to find a solution that doesn't require me to mess the original badge up.

It would for sure be cool to be able to produce these in a larger scale.

Guests · Posted
On 12/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, erac said:

Before you know it, you'll have expanded to replacement cases for the system 😄 The only aftermarket case currently is the warrior64, otherwise people with broken cases have to hunt broken n64s.

Haha, right. One year from now I'm the "N64 case guy" 😉 We'll see where I go with this (if anywhere). I've attached an EverDrive-64 background which I think works quite well, at least when the screen is not full of text. I might do some alternate versions later on.

Yeah I know about the Warrior 64, it's not for me.

ED64_BG1_Ultra64_Mumphy.jpg

Edited by Mumphy
Minimal tweak on the logo. Attached the updated background.

• 1 month later...
Guests · Posted
13 hours ago, erockbrox said:

Its like an alternate time line.

This would be super cool for a N-64 flash cart sticker.

I would really like to do that and I think the easiest way (for both me and a potential buyer) would be to make these available on a site like Redbubble, as long as it's high quality. Redbubble do sell stickers, but the problem is that they all have a white border. That won't look nice on the cart