IGNORED

Virtual Boy Weekly Contest Round 1: Mario Clash

Red

Hello and welcome to the first round of the Virtual Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Mario Clash.  Enjoy this 3D update of the classic Mario Bros. arcade game.  Can you conquer all 99 levels?  You won't have to for this contest if you can rack up enough bonus points!

Rules:

- Start at Level 1

- Play until you max out the score or Game Over

- Highest score wins

- If more than one participant maxes out the score, the winner will be the one who accomplished it in the earliest stage (don't continue playing if you max out the score)

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, December 20, 2020 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/5999-virtual-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20202021/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 267,760 (koifish)

2. 84,430 (ZeldaFan042)

3. 81,100 (Splain)

717044560_clash(5).gif.9816b086f3e523bf2e7480fc5660bdba.gif

Edited by Red
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Okay, first submission. Score was 119360. I'm bummed because I was on a roll, paused it for dinner, then came back and kind of forgot where I was, and proceeded to fail all over. I think I can push way further next score, just putting this on the board in the event I don't get back to it.

koifishVBWeek1Sub01.jpg

Edited by koifish
typed score out from screenshot
  • Like 1

New submission: 267760. Sorry it's crooked. I would have done better, but for some reason I was flubbing every bonus stage. That's several extra lives just left on the table! Hoping to give it one more go and maybe crack 400k.

I think playing on VB has really reinvented my experience. In the past, it was difficult to get comfortable and play virtual boy for long periods of time. Here, I feel it's much easier to do so. I wish there was a way to make a VB HMD that was as comfortable as a modern VR headset.

koifishVBWeek1Sub02.thumb.jpg.429e62bfe2817a7744fc1824a6d9369f.jpg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

Played a couple games. It's hard getting used to B to jump. Hopefully I'll have time to improve my score this weekend

20201215_174519.thumb.jpg.6f19f44cb055d51eb83ebcba9ec5aa6b.jpg

I recommend using the right trigger to jump and the right d-pad to throw. I stopped getting confused between jump/throw when I started using that. Unless you're emulating. I can't tell because that image link is broken for me. 😄

• Like 1

About 30.5 hours to go.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:10 PM, koifish said:

Nice GIF

Thanks!

On 12/18/2020 at 11:31 AM, ZeldaFan042 said:

Played a couple games. It's hard getting used to B to jump. Hopefully I'll have time to improve my score this weekend

Could you try posting your picture again?  I can't see it.

Editorials Team · Posted

I definitely feel like I was stretching my amateur strategies as far as they could go. I should have devoted more time to experimentation, I might have started perfecting more advanced stuff like jump-throws, stunning multiple enemies and taking them all out to get technical bonuses, and probably get some patterns down, at least for earlier levels, for better time bonuses.

@Red Sorry that I forgot that element. Unfortunately, that may be difficult for me, as my screenshots so far have been taken from an oculus quest headset, and are thus not exactly capable of having a direct note/otherwise in the pic. Should I just cut in a second pic of the headset and UN on the outside via sticky note?

1 hour ago, koifish said:

@Red Sorry that I forgot that element. Unfortunately, that may be difficult for me, as my screenshots so far have been taken from an oculus quest headset, and are thus not exactly capable of having a direct note/otherwise in the pic. Should I just cut in a second pic of the headset and UN on the outside via sticky note?

Ah, so that's what you were using.  I didn't think of that possibility.  Don't worry about the name in the picture then.  Since you (or anyone else playing like that) would have similar difficulties getting a picture as someone playing on a real Virtual Boy, I'll waive the name in picture requirement for those cases.