IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Webhead123

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

All stuff that was in one or more of the original games 😄 

I don't remember in being in any of the first few titles. I haven't played the arcade version or GnG in a while but I am almost certain you can't do either in the NES port or Super GnG for SNES. I think in Ultimate, which I've never played, you can shoot down and there are some upgrades.

Being a bit too hard on the NES version.  It is basically intact, despite the fact that Micronix usually did a terrible job on stuff (like Ikari Warriors) compared to the original.  While dumbed down, the stages, music, weapons, placements are there, just more halfassed basic as the NES could have handled a nicer looking conversion.  I mean it's not entirely Micronix to blame, even Nintendo was lazy.  Look at the late release NES (PAL aggravatingly only) releases of Mario Bros Classic and Donkey Kong Classic.  MB has more accurate looking and sounding stuff and puts back in the new creature intro screens, and well DK it puts in the missing stage.

• Like 1

No, there's nothing redeeming about the NES version. If you're coming from the original game and trying to play it on NES, it's infuriating how incompetent most of it is. Nothing in the game works like it should.

If you're able to play the NES one and have fun with it, that's perfectly fine. I don't want to ruin your fun. Really. Just stick to looking at it as it's own thing, and don't judge the title in general or the rest of the series, based on that one release.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

You can shoot both up and down in the classic Ghouls n Ghosts from 1988, and Super Ghouls n Ghosts on SNES has a screen clearing special, which also comes with a super useful invincibility period 🙂

Yeah completely forgot about the gold armour charge/specials for Super and I've beat that game without dying. I guess I just have the NES version in my mind which is indeed a terrible port. I haven't played the arcade version for probably 15 years. Regardless, I just hope the game isn't made too easy by overpowered perks/specials. Even in Super you could abuse some of the high tier weapons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

No, there's nothing redeeming about the NES version. If you're coming from the original game and trying to play it on NES, it's infuriating how incompetent most of it is. Nothing in the game works like it should.

If you're able to play the NES one and have fun with it, that's perfectly fine. I don't want to ruin your fun. Really. Just stick to looking at it as it's own thing, and don't judge the title in general or the rest of the series, based on that one release.

Yes, I agree that the NES version is its' own thing, and the arcade version is way better, but the NES version is not as bad as you make it out to be, and is far from "incompetent."  The music and graphics, for starters, are great, and the general feel and atmsophere from the original is the same (for me).  Yes, it has major issues, and yes it's inferior to the arcade port, but it's nowhere near "incompetent."  Super Pitfall (also from Micronics) is incompetent; Ghosts 'N Goblins on NES, for me, is a great challenge and a fun game...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

While I do enjoy Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on SNES despite some of its issues, honestly, my favorite release in the series besides the arcade original is Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Genesis/Megadrive. I think it has most of what makes the game great without the issues that plagued the other ports/reworks. The graphics and music are really close to the arcade and the game is still tough without feeling completely unfair. You can shoot up/down. You have the charge attacks but they are rather circumstantial and not overpowered at all. Finally, the "special weapon" needed to finish the second loop is not utter garbage like it is in the NES and SNES titles. I still have yet to beat the Genesis port, but I've come closer to beating it than either of the Nintendo titles and feel more encouraged to keep trying than I can say about the other games.

Edited by Webhead123

Ghouls n Ghosts is definitely the best game in the series in my book, it's not even close. And the MegaDrive version is a fantastic demonstration of how to do a proper arcade port on weaker hardware. The visual downgrades are obvious and necessary, but managed in a way that I don't feel it impacts the game at all.
Outside of a famous example of a misleading fireball hitbox, the game really feels just like the arcade game, and I'm saying that as an owner of both versions who's put tons of hours into the game.

Overall the MegaDrive version is slightly easier, even on "professional" mode, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why, because it's in the tiny details.

I think Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts is clearly the best iteration.Really feels like magnum opus.mmmk

* It has the most levels (although the last three look like they were designed in an afternoon), and the most varied level design.

The music is top of the line and really matches each level and there are completly different tracks for each level (I think, at least the early levels).

The double jump is a precise extension adding slight complexity while not being over powering. 

Wide variety of weapons and there are three power ups for each weapon.

Best looking armor.

I think the difficulty curb is not bad except for the last couple levels on the second run. 

7 hours ago, Californication said:

I think Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts is clearly the best iteration.Really feels like magnum opus.mmmk

* It has the most levels (although the last three look like they were designed in an afternoon), and the most varied level design.

The music is top of the line and really matches each level and there are completly different tracks for each level (I think, at least the early levels).

The double jump is a precise extension adding slight complexity while not being over powering. 

Wide variety of weapons and there are three power ups for each weapon.

Best looking armor.

I think the difficulty curb is not bad except for the last couple levels on the second run.

The double Jump kills Super G'N'G for me, as it completely changes the game.  My other major issue is all the waiting around for extended periods on small platforms while the game auto-scrolls you at a snails pace;  the G'N'G series in all other iterations is run 'n gun fun, so it's really frustrating to have to just sit there on a raft forever just waiting for everything under the sun to take pot shots at you while you've got this tiny little area with which to dodge...

I will agree that the graphics and music are excellent.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The double Jump kills Super G'N'G for me, as it completely changes the game.  My other major issue is all the waiting around for extended periods on small platforms while the game auto-scrolls you at a snails pace;  the G'N'G series in all other iterations is run 'n gun fun, so it's really frustrating to have to just sit there on a raft forever just waiting for everything under the sun to take pot shots at you while you've got this tiny little area with which to dodge...

I will agree that the graphics and music are excellent.

You say the double jump changed the game, but also the armor, weapons, and power ups also completly change the game, also the levels are longer(I believe the first 5 or 6 levels each have three distinct areas while I think other versions have two. Maybe all these changes are why it is called "Super" Ghouls N' Ghosts. 

For the moving platforms, I am not sure if you are referring to the last section of level two, the area between the towers on level three, or level five (I think) it is where the little blue fairies and blue blobs explode. I think they are all good levels, sometimes I die, sometimes I don't but never excessiviley in either way to say that it isn't too hard making it unfair or too easy making it pointless.

The pacing is different - but that is too subjective to argue imo.

Edited by Californication

Super GnG is an amazing game. The only "problem" I'd have with it is how much more deterministic everything is, making it easier to memorize your way through all the stages. Castlevania is similar, so it's not like it makes the game bad, it just doesn't completely live up to its own predecessor.

I think the double jump works fantastic, even if it does change the game fundamentally.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:15 AM, Sumez said:

Funny you should mention that, I used to play it and the arcade game side by side and all it really stood out to me at really sucking for was the kind of wide margin in audio visual quality, and I think it was maybe a slight bit easier.  I took it as a good training version of the arcade title.  The good doctor said it well enough.  It's rough, bad not in the least bit, it's just a little different from the arcade due to the gulf in power and the rough edges.  Micronix rarely put out good stuff, they usually were shit peddlers which is why competent groups used them early (SNK, Capcom, etc) then stopped.  Ikari Warriors gets crapped on pretty hard, they too worked on it, but it like GnG while rough and stiff compared to the arcade, it's still fairly competent for an arcade port especially against other versions from the decade that made it home as well.  The real game changer for me was the jump to Super Ghouls n Ghosts as that was big, and then I guess once more when it lost the name and kind of became Maximo or that PSP release depending which way you want to view it went.

This new one seems to be some hybridization of where GNG went on PSP and with Maximo melded into one for style, yet those 2 stages we saw were major remixes of the original first stages of GnG 1 and 2 (Ghouls.)  I'm very curious to see how well this goes as that looks hard, they're well versed being insiders with the company and still took some hits.  And a skill tree??  If they're having that kind of trouble I welcome the +1 hit to armor.

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

they're well versed being insiders with the company and still took some hits. 

The people playing the game in that footage obviously have no idea what they are doing. 😛

I guess they wanted to showcase what the game was like to people playing it for the first time, but some of that footage is a little embarassing. Game definitely doesn't look "too easy" though. I hope it doesn't rely too much on the skill tree bs, that's not the kind of stuff you want in a Makaimura game. Just like the shop in Mega Man - who ever uses that?

Edited by Sumez

I hope you're right on both parts.  I hope they were just being spinless and newbish instead of just distracted by the presentation and making comments as that could easily be that too.  Personally I don't mind the skill tree at face value but would need to see how it is handled in the end to damn it or not for existing.

It's definately more structured towards the SNES than Arcade version wich in turn means easier aswell. In the Arcade you have to start accounting for the enemy attack pattern pretty much immediately while in this new one you have more time to maneuver, things are slower. You're also not committed to a jump and can move around mid-air.

I think the original seems unrefined and outdated to modern developers they don't want that type of gameplay anymore.

• 1 month later...

Nintendolife's Tom Massey is a guy with deep roots in real arcade gaming. He's been a long time member of the shmup community, and I trust his takes. He is very positive about the game:
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/ghosts_n_goblins_resurrection

Meanwhile, GameSpot reviewer "Mike Esptein" gives the game a solid 4/10, with hilarious claims such as video games have outgrown being challenging. I have no idea who he is, but I feel like I'd probably enjoy the game less if this guy had liked it.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ghosts-n-goblins-resurrection-review/1900-6417643/

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Meanwhile, GameSpot reviewer "Mike Esptein" gives the game a solid 4/10, with hilarious claims such as video games have outgrown being challenging.

From Tom Massey's review:

"While Legend mode is designed to serve Ghouls ’n Ghosts diehards – fans who need something to test their limits – Knight, Squire and Page difficulties (the latter essentially offering immortality) have something for everyone else. Knight difficulty is still utterly brutal, but Arthur gains three hit points and faces fewer, marginally slower enemies. For the casual retro gamer looking for a solid challenge, Squire difficulty, affording Arthur four hits and arguably too many checkpoints, is probably a good place to start."

Sounds to me like Capcom went above and beyond mainstreaming the game for the masses, if anyone outside the fanbase wants to try it out - so if games have outgrown being challenging then this is a game you can go at with training wheels anyway. Instead Mike goes on to complain how the game is frustrating instead of challenging, while praising the game for being "technically and spiritually faithful homage to the original Ghost 'n Goblins series".

Edited by sp1nz