IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Webhead123

9 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Haha yes, I know about that! And while I do agree that the ending is so hilariously bad that it almost necessitates a second run to experience the true ending, there is still a lot of joy to be had just beating it once. The second run isn't obligatory to be a fan of the game 😄

Addendum: Was the NES ending even further botched? I seem to remember it being COURAGEOUR 😂

I think you don't understand. There is only one ending in the original G&G and you can only get it once you've gone through the game twice, and ONLY if you have a certain weapon.

9 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I think you don't understand. There is only one ending in the original G&G and you can only get it once you've gone through the game twice, and ONLY if you have a certain weapon.

It's the same on Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES) - and I assume Ghouls and Ghosts (Genesis).

That seems like the standard m.o. for the series, and I would expect it to be the case for Resurrection, as well. 

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

Oh, but I disagree. Once the final boss is beaten, I consider the game done. I don't need to see the "true" ending screen, and have no need to run through the game once more. I consider the first "ending" screen the end of the game, and the second run, a second quest that's just "cleverly" veiled by the developers by adding some ridiculous text about a trap devised by Satan.

But I absolutely understand that most will probably disagree. To me, it's nothing more than a glorified second quest.

Edited by ifightdragons

30 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Oh, but I disagree. Once the final boss is beaten, I consider the game done. I don't need to see the "true" ending screen, and have no need to run through the game once more. I consider the first "ending" screen the end of the game, and the second run, a second quest that's just "cleverly" veiled by the developers by adding some ridiculous text about a trap devised by Satan.

But I absolutely understand that most will probably disagree. To me, it's nothing more than a glorified second quest.

In Super Ghouls and Ghosts you can't reach the final boss without looping the game.

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

In Super Ghouls and Ghosts you can't reach the final boss without looping the game.

Really? In that case, yeah, that sucks lol. But you can still just beat the first quest/round and drop the second quest/round with the final boss, if you're so inclined.

My main point is, it's really down to semantics for me.

27 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Really? In that case, yeah, that sucks lol. But you can still just beat the first quest/round and drop the second quest/round with the final boss, if you're so inclined.

My main point is, it's really down to semantics for me.

Yup, there is a totally separate boss battle stage with a gigantic version of Sardon that is at least 2 screens tall.

Only accessible after looping the game, and while you can reach it with the stage select code, it is useless to do so, since you need the Goddess Bracelet to kill him.  (and navigating the final levels with the Goddess Braceless is MUCH harder than being able to select your favorite weapon for each stage along the way)

3 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Here's the thing though: that final boss you thought you were fighting the first time through isn't real!  It is an illusion devised by Satan!  Return to starting point.  Challenge again!

• Haha 2

After seeing the extended trailer for Monster Hunter, I am taking a break from everything that is Capcom. I still have PTSD from the day I saw the first Resident Evil film, and worry that they'll have the same director turn this game into a movie as well! The horror... The horror of it all. 😭

Plus I am six games away from completing my first collection-based goal. With two games being part of my non-handheld game goals. This game fell off that list months ago. So I'll let somebody here buy my copy, cut it open, and do an online autopsy in regards to what it had to offer.

Capcom's "oh hey, fooled you! that's not the real boss, go back to stage 1 to trudge through everything only harder to find an annoying weapon to finally beat the real boss" has to be one of the dumbest "tricks" in video games I'm aware of! Hopefully they got rid of that, and made it so Arthur can take more hits before dying (which I think is the case).

Love that art style, and he's got a hammer...

Switch_GnG-Resurrection_02.jpg

• Like 1

I think Fenrir Zero needs a Ghosts N Goblins movie, definitely.  But his choices are WS Anderson with Milla playing the princess OR Uwe Boll gets to write and direct.  You decide!

@avatar!He appears to be now allowed to take 1 or 2 extra hits.  Full armor, then in the first clip out I saw him having only top armor, or only lower armor pants, then classic boxers Arthur.  So either it's subjective what gets broken off first, or depending where you're hit a chunk comes off exposing that, or each piece goes and now you can take up to 4 hits.  It won't make the game much easier, GnG is just nasty and that's what it's good at.

I do agree I hope they do lose the re-run this go around.  I know Maximo was a pseudo-sequel spinoff and neither of them had you re-do the game as it was already pretty nasty in the first place.

• Sad 1

Just now, Tanooki said:

Nah i'm not joking.  Considering the little gameplay we've seen, they've counter balanced it with more crap being thrown at you at the same time both in quantity of targets but attack patterns too.  I think it probably in the end would balance itself out.

When was the last time you played the NES or SNES versions of the game?  There is usually PLENTY of crap being thrown at you, with fairly unforgiving attack patterns.

I don't know -- I hope it has a well supported classic mode if they are going to build the game around making it "more accessible".

Due to this game announcement, and earlier this year having this capcom arcade thing I have, a few times (original game, not the home versions.)

The boss fight for instance now has that returned green guy in armor now not just walking back and forward taking shots, he's split into two and attacking at multiple angles from both sides.  The bit with you running along while under attack then having multiple tomb stones all rise up and add to the misery.  I'm just seeing more variety and a higher intensity of stuff going on.

In the end we'll have to see how it works out in another couple months.

Yeah, we'll see, I guess.  I'm excited to play it with my kids, since they have a recent love for Super Ghouls and Ghosts.  I just hope the core concept doesn't get toned down to make up for lazy balancing.  (i.e. the core of the original games was navigating levels without ever getting hit -- and then going into survival mode to get a fresh suit of armor if you DO get hit -- being able to take multiple hits seems like it changes the flavor)

I don't either.  If it's a hair easier or so I don't care.  As long as it's not watered down, or perhaps even if it is, you have the classic 'easy, normal, hard... arcade?' choices in option to make things right.

It may change the flavor, I think we need to see how intense the additional stuff going on does for it.  The PSP game had added some mechanics too I think possibly might crop up as well.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I don't either.  If it's a hair easier or so I don't care.  As long as it's not watered down, or perhaps even if it is, you have the classic 'easy, normal, hard... arcade?' choices in option to make things right.

It may change the flavor, I think we need to see how intense the additional stuff going on does for it.  The PSP game had added some mechanics too I think possibly might crop up as well.

Well, speak of the red devil! I totally forgot I had this little gem until you reminded me 🙂

Yup, this game was great. Had a standard mode (Arthur could take a few hits), novice mode (a good addition to a hard game), and ultimate mode for people like @arch_8ngel

GNG1.JPG

• Like 1

@avatar!there it is.  I owned this I guess what 15 years ago about now?  I knew it had various modes and each allowed for less and less damage.  The game was a little more busy than the arcade ones or home console ports and exclusives(SNES) too.  Not grossly so as it appears as this newest resurrection will be.  I don't mind if they give Arthur a life bar, the game decades ago was a bitch and still is now and I would imagine Capcom would rather please more people than few so hopefully the same options for challenge are presented.  It would be best to let people enjoy it, or get furious at it, and in between.

As a massive fan of the series, and VGS's absolute authority on it whether you guys want it or not...

We'll have to wait this one out and see how it plays.

Animations look like garbage to the point where it can effectively influence and damage the gameplay. But the actual game design showcased in the trailer looks surprisingly good.

18 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

When was the last time you played the NES or SNES versions of the game?  There is usually PLENTY of crap being thrown at you, with fairly unforgiving attack patterns.

No one should play the NES version of the original GnG 😩
I get that some people grew up with it and have nostalgia for it, but it's a notoriously awful port.

26 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'm not really a fan of the NES version, either, I agree.

Me neither, but I found that by applying these two romhacks, it became exponentially more enjoyable:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4194/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4830/

(On an EverDrive or Nt mini, for the "authentic" experience)

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope they don't make this too easy or there is at least a hard mode. I am getting really tired of games getting the baby treatment to cater to a casual audience. Between that and Skill Based Match Making for online games it's becoming tiresome.

I'm all for quality of life improvements like screen clearing specials and the ability to shoot down if they're balanced accordingly.