IGNORED

Missing "Latest Posts" and "Latest Topics?" Check out this tutorial to customize the activity you see here!

spacepup

Administrator · Posted

Hello and welcome to VGS!  I know that many of you are still exploring and discovering what VGS has to offer, including many features and settings that are different from what you might have been used to on other forums such as NintendoAge.  

We've received a lot of feedback so far about missing the "Latest Posts" or "Latest Topics" features that many of you are familiar with.  Well, we have different ways to give you something similar here, and we hope even better!  You can create custom "Activity Streams" here where you can save a number of different settings to customize exactly how you see activity.  You can even share those custom streams with other members, or use templates that others have created.  

To get started, go to Activity -> My Activity Streams --> and select 'Create New Stream.'

CAS-1.png.ca91dd371029935e003c07c5a520d690.png

This will bring you to a 'Create New Stream' page where you can customize a variety of settings for what you would like to see and how.  You can even name your Stream and share the link with other members.

For example - choosing the following settings will create a custom activity stream that is similar to the "Latest Posts" feature you might be used to:
Show me:  Content items only
Content Types:  All Content
Default View:  Condensed

CAS-2.thumb.png.c50a1fb26d0d20f901630ddd8c1fe548.png

Once you are happy with the settings, click "Save Changes" and it will show you what the stream looks like, as well as give you options to customize it further or change some settings.

If you are satisfied with the stream and its settings, you can lock it in as your default stream by clicking the check mark next to 'Latest Posts:'

CAS-3.png.df8c2e79b701c5d0bd0a9276cab59f40.png

You can also delete it or rename it from here.

You can go to Activity --> My Activity Streams, to select which stream you'd like to check out going forward.

If you've made a custom stream you really like and want to share - you can copy and share the URL.  Here is a URL for the one we just made:

https://www.videogamesage.com/discover/36/

The Custom Activity Streams give you a lot of flexibility in customizing the content that you see here at VGS, exactly the way you want to see it.  Please feel free to play around with the settings and test them out to see how it works for your needs!

If you have any questions about the activity streams, or if you've created some that you feel work particularly well and you want to share here for others, please let us know here!

We hope this will be helpful as you become familiar with VGS and all of the features and options our new system provides.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I’m going to try because I really did like “latest topics” “latest posts”.

what is “content items”? Is that like a thread? 

I figured out latest post (replies) 

but I can’t figure out how to see only the latest topics. Everything is being listed as “so and so replied to”. 

how do you delete a custom stream? 

Edited by skinnygrinny

10 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

but I can’t figure out how to see only the latest topics. Everything is being listed as “so and so replied to”. 

I was wondering that myself.  Are content items only threads, or are they other things as well?

For latest topics, I'm under the impression we can't really do what you are trying to do, skinny, due to constraints in the infrastructure.  

Administrator · Posted
13 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

I’m going to try because I really did like “latest topics” “latest posts”.

how do you delete a custom stream? 

* Content items would include actual content such as posts, threads, blog entries, etc.  Whereas, if you include "comments" and "reviews" your stream will show additional information such as people's reactions to posts, etc.

* You can delete a custom stream by selecting that stream, and then clicking the trash can icon next to the name of the screen. For example:

remove-stream.png.6f780858b7cbea69f8e2d1407cebfa1a.png

Clicking the icon circled above, will remove that custom stream from your account.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

--spacepup--

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your time @spacepup what I’m trying to accomplish is a list of created topics (all “content types”) in order from newest to oldest, disregarding replies.

i tried the linked stream but the second topic listed was because someone replied to it. And the topics weren’t listed in order of created date. 

Edited by skinnygrinny

4 hours ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

For latest topics, I'm under the impression we can't really do what you are trying to do, skinny, due to constraints in the infrastructure.  

I think you may be right. I’ve tried messing with the custom streams options and it just continues to list topics with the latest reply. 

Edited by skinnygrinny

On 10/30/2019 at 8:38 AM, spacepup said:

Here is a custom stream that Vaosu created in an attempt to mirror the latest topics concept.  I'll have to test it a bit to see if it's working as intended, but in the meantime, here it is:

https://www.videogamesage.com/discover/14/

Doesn't work, still just shows the latest reply. 😞