IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - 2020 Tournament - Bubble Bobble + Circus Charlie

BeaIank

24 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

Alrighty then boys.  It's been fun.  I'm done.  Ain't nobody going to beat my scores.  Have fun competing for second place.  @Bearcat-Doug what we going to do to settle our little feud seeings how you pussed out of the tournament?

Hey, what was your favorite game in this year's tournament? The selections this year definitely seemed to be in your favor.

Just now, mbd39 said:

Hey, what was your favorite game in this year's tournament? The selections this year definitely seemed to be in your favor.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Tecmo Bowl.  If I had a few days to sit and grind it out, I know I could get a world record.  My brothers and I would play tournaments on Tecmo Super Bowl.  My two older brothers being the big football fans, had a hard time losing to me. 

Spent a lot of time with Micro Machines and Ghosts 'n' Goblins back in the day, but never beat Ghosts without continuing a ton of times.  Wasn't until the last few years that I realized how easy it is.

Was pleasantly surprised with Contra Force.  I had never played it due to it's reputation as a terrible Contra wannabe.  Zombie Nation was a lot of fun as well.

Overall, a pretty solid line up.  Don't ever need to play Mario Bros., Caveman Games, or Goal! Two ever again, and the beat 'em ups weren't too bad this year.  Not too bad at all.

4 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Tecmo Bowl.  If I had a few days to sit and grind it out, I know I could get a world record.  My brothers and I would play tournaments on Tecmo Super Bowl.  My two older brothers being the big football fans, had a hard time losing to me. 

Spent a lot of time with Micro Machines and Ghosts 'n' Goblins back in the day, but never beat Ghosts without continuing a ton of times.  Wasn't until the last few years that I realized how easy it is.

Was pleasantly surprised with Contra Force.  I had never played it due to it's reputation as a terrible Contra wannabe.  Zombie Nation was a lot of fun as well.

Overall, a pretty solid line up.  Don't ever need to play Mario Bros., Caveman Games, or Goal! Two ever again, and the beat 'em ups weren't too bad this year.  Not too bad at all.

Interesting. What was your favorite tournament game though? Gyruss vs Alien Syndrome vs Bubble Bobble

I enjoyed Gyruss a lot more than when I played it in 2016. It's a lot of fun and unique on the NES.

I don't need to ever play Alien Syndrome again.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Interesting. What was your favorite tournament game though? Gyruss vs Alien Syndrome vs Bubble Bobble

I enjoyed Gyruss a lot more than when I played it in 2016. It's a lot of fun and unique on the NES.

I don't need to ever play Alien Syndrome again.

I hadn't played Alien Syndrome before.  I know some struggled with some of the enemies, but once I understood how they attacked, it was just a matter of moving so that you weren't killed before you had a chance to dodge.

I really don't care for Gyruss.  I have been strengthening my hands for the last few years, so the cramping wasn't as bad, but it still just hurts my hands too much.  Reminds me, I need to go back and see how high of a score I can get on Double Dribble now.

That leaves Bubble Bobble.  Played through many times with a buddy of mine that I still am in contact with today.  Probably my favorite of the three.

Oh, but then there's Circus Charlie.  Several years ago, I got my first NES multi cart.  Of course I went right for Circus Charlie first.  What a wonderful game.  Simply a gem.  I ordered up a cart on AlliExpress shortly after playing it again.  Probably my all time favorite game, ever!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

I hadn't played Alien Syndrome before.  I know some struggled with some of the enemies, but once I understood how they attacked, it was just a matter of moving so that you weren't killed before you had a chance to dodge.

There must be a consistent strat for avoiding stage 4 enemies and projectiles but it was beyond me. I'm impressed by everyone who could no death it.

It seems like just beating Alien Syndrome would be really easy due to how many extra lives you get.

Edited by mbd39

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

Oh, but then there's Circus Charlie.  Several years ago, I got my first NES multi cart.  Of course I went right for Circus Charlie first.  What a wonderful game.  Simply a gem.  I ordered up a cart on AlliExpress shortly after playing it again.  Probably my all time favorite game, ever!

Circus Charlie was one of the several games that came with the multicart I got back in 1989 a few months after I got my Phantom System.
It is such a delightful game, so fun, so simple. When I went to pick a game to go alongside Bubble Bobble for the grand finals, I KNEW it had to be it.
It will be appearing in the contest in the future again. It is too good of a game for it not to.

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, bertsampson said:

Alrighty then boys.  It's been fun.  I'm done.  Ain't nobody going to beat my scores.  Have fun competing for second place.  @Bearcat-Doug what we going to do to settle our little feud seeings how you pussed out of the tournament?

Who hurt you?  Why you gotta tease us like this?  Just post your next highest score and then when someone beats that, post ur real high score.

13 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Circus Charlie was one of the several games that came with the multicart I got back in 1989 a few months after I got my Phantom System.
It is such a delightful game, so fun, so simple. When I went to pick a game to go alongside Bubble Bobble for the grand finals, I KNEW it had to be it.
It will be appearing in the contest in the future again. It is too good of a game for it not to.

Circus Charlie was played for the past two weeks in the Atari Age NES contests. But I skipped it because i was focusing on the tournament. What an odd coincidence considering this is such a random game.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Circus Charlie was played for the past two weeks in the Atari Age NES contests. But I skipped it because i was focusing on the tournament. What an odd coincidence considering this is such a random game.

You should have played it because it is such a good game.
We will be incorporating more Famicom games that can be easily found in multicarts in the contest in the future.
There are tons of simple gems that work real good for high score contest among them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You should have played it because it is such a good game.
We will be incorporating more Famicom games that can be easily found in multicarts in the contest in the future.
There are tons of simple gems that work real good for high score contest among them.

Devil World comes to mind.

I prefer Famicom Yie Ar Kung Fu to Karate Champ. But it has to be the later ROM version because the earlier ROM lets you stun lock opponents with jump kicks.  Not sure if this issue would keep it out of the contests.

2 hours ago, bertsampson said:

I dunno. I'll have to see if I can think of something.

4 hours ago, bertsampson said:

A writeup about the schedule this long that does not include the words heavy and shreddin cannot be taken seriously

Others should do this too though