IGNORED

Bought a game shelf...

...and it arrived with one of the walls broken almost in half.  Last one in stock at Target and I have to take it into the store to get my refund.  I can get it elsewhere for ~$95 more (or higher at some retailers).  Just pissed that I finally pulled the trigger on a shelf I want and this happened. 

Any recommendations for storage?  Looking for something with doors or storage drawers for a cleaner look.  

20201202_215832.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-223229_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-223237_Chrome.jpg

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Bought a game shelf...
5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Just seems weird to suggest what not to get when he needs to know what to get. 😛

Now I'm actually confused. I think he should get Billy Bookcases because they will do exactly what he wants. They have doors and drawers for storage, I posted them as a suggestion. Am I misunderstanding what he wants?

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Now I'm actually confused. I think he should get Billy Bookcases because they will do exactly what he wants. They have doors and drawers for storage, I posted them as a suggestion. Am I misunderstanding what he wants?

OOOOOOHHH haha. I thought you were saying they'll "do that" as in "they'll also arrive broken".

xD

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Code Monkey said:

I actually laughed out loud. I've never ordered from Ikea, their delivery charge is $60 in the same city. I just drive over there and pick up.

I don't drive so I always order delivery from them. I was like "bro they never arrive broken what do you mean?". 😛

• Haha 1

I almost never see this mentioned, but keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for people selling old media shelving.  Most people are getting out of physical media so lots of people are getting rid of old CD or DVD shelving that is often perfect for video games.  Billy bookcases are great if you want to get something new and quick, but they are also pretty deep which leaves a lot of wasted space unless you plan to go two deep on your gaming (which isn't great for easy access).  All of my game shelves have been bought second hand for next to nothing.  

The white shelves in this picture were $20 each on Facebook Marketplace and each one holds approximately 650 DVD sized games each.  These might not be the specific style you are looking for, but there is all sorts of stuff out there on the second hand market.  

Collection 73.jpg

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted

Now that I think of it, I legit find Ikea Billy Bookshelves literally sitting on the side of the road or near the trash in perfectly fine condition disturbingly regularly around here. Maybe people are moving or upgrading or something, but seriously I could furnish my whole apartment with free second-hand shelves if I wanted.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Now that I think of it, I legit find Ikea Billy Bookshelves literally sitting on the side of the road or near the trash in perfectly fine condition disturbingly regularly around here. Maybe people are moving or upgrading or something, but seriously I could furnish my whole apartment with free second-hand shelves if I wanted.

I wish I found trashed bookshelves at that rate, haha.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Funny that you say that, the bookshelves I have are a hodge podge of side-of-the-road finds.  All different colors and sizes.  😅  The only one I bought was a tall, skinny Billy shelf from IKEA in the as-is section for over half off.  

I want to get a shelf enclosed with doors or a something like a dresser that is tall and has drawers the right size for dvd/cd cases.  I really do like the style I had tried to purchase, even if it runs on the bottom.  It's just an efficient use of space and can shut for a cleaner look.

I looked up the brand of media storage drawers used at my local game store behind the counter, but the supplier doesn't have the large ones that I want.  Only short ones that are expensive.  

It's tough out here in these streets, finding media storage 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I almost never see this mentioned, but keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for people selling old media shelving.  Most people are getting out of physical media so lots of people are getting rid of old CD or DVD shelving that is often perfect for video games.  Billy bookcases are great if you want to get something new and quick, but they are also pretty deep which leaves a lot of wasted space unless you plan to go two deep on your gaming (which isn't great for easy access).  All of my game shelves have been bought second hand for next to nothing.  

The white shelves in this picture were $20 each on Facebook Marketplace and each one holds approximately 650 DVD sized games each.  These might not be the specific style you are looking for, but there is all sorts of stuff out there on the second hand market.  

Collection 73.jpg

I have looked at shelves like this in the past. I don't mind them, especially when they're uniform like this.  If I wasn't broke and in college when Hollywood Video closed I would've bought all their shelves lol.  I guess when Family Video starts shutting down I can look at their fixtures too

23 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

I have looked at shelves like this in the past. I don't mind them, especially when they're uniform like this.  If I wasn't broke and in college when Hollywood Video closed I would've bought all their shelves lol.  I guess when Family Video starts shutting down I can look at their fixtures too

Funny thing is that I wasn't the one to buy them from the old rental store.  I bought these from  a Hollywood Tan location of all places.  They bought them from a former rental store that closed down and they rented DVDs to people who came in for a tan.  After several years they decided to get out of the rental business and sold it off.  That's how I got them for $20 each.  They had two more shelving units, but I was only able to get 3 unfortunately.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update: since I received the broken shelf I found a small opening shelf at a thrift store for $4 a few weeks ago and a big Billy bookcase on a Facebook garage sale page yesterday for $15.  It needs a few shelves for what I want which coincidentally enough are $15 each at IKEA.  A negative turned into a positive with some solid finds

20210106_204027.jpg

20210106_204049.jpg

• Like 5