IGNORED

Movie Debate #46: Ghostbusters (2016)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but I'm interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Please.  Technically it is a prequel because it takes place at the Norwegian base where events transpired immediately before the opening of the Carpenter film, but it's the exact same formula, in the exact same type of setting, hitting the exact same notes.

A spade's a spade.

So it's an unoriginal prequel, still a prequel 😛

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And again, where was the outrage at remaking The Thing, Poltergeist, Batman, Robocop, etc?

I think it's because Ghostbusters is a cult icon to a large amount of people whereas the audience isn't as large for those movies except for Batman. Also a lot of Ghostbusters fans are a manchildren.

Batman gets outrage as well though. People hate most of the actors that play the character and are also sick of the constant re telling of his origins. It still sells well because most of the audience are mindless drones.

I also remember Halloween got outrage when it was re made by Rob Zombie (please erase my memory of those awful films). And A Nightmare on Elm Street re make because they didn't use Robert Englund.

I had no idea that those other movies have re makes but I definitely won't bother watching them because they're not needed and it's lazy. Re makes have their place when they expand on what the original lacked (e.g. IT) but a Poltergeist re make isn't needed imo.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:13 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't know if I'll take heat for this, but I hate affirmative action in movies.  I'm not against having strong female characters if it makes sense and fits with the theme and whatnot (the Alien movies are a great example), but this movie just does not work for me.  They didn't even make the plot tie into the same universe as first movie, so the cameos of the *real* ghostbusters aren't even the characters they originally played.  The only thing I liked was all jokes with the male receptionist they hired, and he wasn't even a ghostbuster...

Worst part of all, they titled the movie "Ghostbusters" so for the rest of eternity you have to put a qualifier on which movie you're talking about: Ghostbusters 1984 or Ghostbusters 2016.

I'm with you. I will gladly and wholeheartedly take a great woman lead in whatever so long as it's given proper thought & attention and not just a rehashed existing char or franchise "but now with more women/minorities/LGBTQ+ represented!" and it seems unequivocally this movie is just another one of those. I suppose I should try and give the movie a shot and watch before I pass any sort of final judgment, but... I just can't make myself do it. From what I've seen of the trailer is has some funny bits, but I can't help shake the feeling that that's about all there really is to it.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Tanooki I mean, I'd say it was a creative choice, not some PC-driven reaction to anything.  Especially since Feig clearly sees women as his comic muses.

And the only people who were "triggered" are all the manchildren who went lost their shit during the film's buildup and release and review bombed it or went after the cast and crew.  Just like they do with every fresh nerd-dom outrage that comes along.

And again, where was the outrage at remaking The Thing, Poltergeist, Batman, Robocop, etc? 😅

People were triggered on both side of the argument

Makes me think of James Rolfe (the AVGN) when he made a video explaining that, basically, he just had no interest in watching the movie, it didn't appeal to him. Also he was being inundated with fan requests to check it out.

So naturally the movie's defenders tried to call him out for being a misogynist, notably among them (that I can recall off the top of my head) Patton Oswalt and Dane Cook.

Also I recall hearing some hate for all those movies, though to lesser degrees, by far. Amazing Spider-Man also got a lot of flack for the same reasons.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Please.  Technically it is a prequel because it takes place at the Norwegian base where events transpired immediately before the opening of the Carpenter film, but it's the exact same formula, in the exact same type of setting, hitting the exact same notes.

A spade's a spade.

Sequel>Prequel>Remake - General Rule of Thumb

The Thing (2011) being a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing remake is prob one of the most superfluous examples though.  The mystery of what happened at the Norwegian camp is already answered because we are seeing a parallel of those events occur in real time already in the US camp in the Carpenter film.

Carpenter's version actually had an all male cast (cept the computer voice) and removed the female character from the original movie and story.  So maybe an all female cast version of The Thing would be interesting.  I guess we will see how the all girls school Lord of the Flies turns out.  Both the original and remake of 12 Angry Men is great, 12 Angry Women would be as well with the right cast.

12 hours ago, Shmup said:

I think it's because Ghostbusters is a cult icon to a large amount of people whereas the audience isn't as large for those movies except for Batman. Also a lot of Ghostbusters fans are a manchildren.

Batman gets outrage as well though. People hate most of the actors that play the character and are also sick of the constant re telling of his origins. It still sells well because most of the audience are mindless drones.

I also remember Halloween got outrage when it was re made by Rob Zombie (please erase my memory of those awful films). And A Nightmare on Elm Street re make because they didn't use Robert Englund.

I had no idea that those other movies have re makes but I definitely won't bother watching them because they're not needed and it's lazy. Re makes have their place when they expand on what the original lacked (e.g. IT) but a Poltergeist re make isn't needed imo.

I haven't seen the Halloween remake. Apparently it relies a lot more on gore whereas the original is all about atmosphere and suspense.

I tend to ignore big Hollywood remakes of classics as well as sequels in some cases. As far as I'm concerned the only Robocop and Total Recall are the originals by Paul Verhoeven and I haven't any Terminator or Alien movies beyond the first two. I haven't even seen seen the Star Wars prequels.

Edited by mbd39

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I haven't seen the Halloween remake. Apparently it relies a lot more on gore whereas the original is all about atmosphere and suspense.

I tend to ignore big Hollywood remakes of classics as well as sequels in some cases. As far as I'm concerned the only Robocop and Total Recall are the originals by Paul Verhoeven and I haven't any Terminator or Alien movies beyond the first two. I haven't even seen seen the Star Wars prequels.

And I thought Bearcat was bad 😄

You at least have to watch the Star Wars prequels for reference.  Otherwise all of those pod racing and high ground memes go to waste.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And I thought Bearcat was bad 😄

You at least have to watch the Star Wars prequels for reference.  Otherwise all of those pod racing and high ground memes go to waste.

I am familiar with a lot of stuff from the prequels even though I haven't sat down and watched them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah he went with the gore is scary approach which totally missed the point of Michael imo. Also made his backstory into a white trash family, which I wasn’t a fan of.

I’m with you on the big Hollywood remakes. Although I have seen the Star Wars stuff, but probably wish I hadn’t if I’m honest haha.

4 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Says the guy who draws Kickle humping everything in sight.

I was just going to point to the first 5 minutes of the original movie introducing crude jokes about ectoplasm... (Venkman to Egon: "So somebody blows their load and you want to keep it?")

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

That is how I always heard it as a kid -- assumed that was the TV edit, since when I watched it as an adult I would have sworn that it was "load" not "nose". 😛

I’ve always heard nose.  Had it on DVD at one point years later too and I feel like I would’ve noticed him saying “blow your load“.  
damn it now I’m questioning it.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Haha 1