IGNORED

Panzer Dragoon: Remake -- thoughts? And dieheard fans here?

Razzie.P

Somewhat of a copy n' paste from another forum, but interested in hearing some thoughts on this game.

I’m never played any of these games in real time, so I was excited to check this one out.  I passed on getting it at launch, though, due to all the “issues” that were mentioned, and when the development team apologized and said they’re working on fixes, it got moved to “wait and see.”   Well, it’s now been fixed and is on sale on the eShop, so I figured it’s time.  

And…. I thought it was “ok.”  Had a couple of really cool moments, and I plan to replay it a couple of times to see if it clicks, since it only took about an hour to finish (looked at the stats, and it shows my "end game" playtime was 49 minutes). I like a nice, short game that invites replay for new paths, high scores, etc, but seems like it should have had some difficultly to make you “earn it.” This was a straight shot from front to end on my first go.

Over the years, so many people have told me about the game’s story and deep lore, that I think I may be missing something entirely.  I saw none of that.  Included manual, maybe?

It must have won me over a bit, though, as I’m already looking forward to playing the next remake and Orta (which I believe I have, it or may be on Game Pass), so there’s that.   

Your thoughts on the game?   Love/hate/indifference for the original, remake, gameplay, lore, etc?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the “lore” part is that it belongs to a trilogy of games on the Saturn, with the last game being Panzer Dragoon Saga, which was one of the most epic RPGs for its time. 

On its own, it is a very fun shooter, and the graphics definitely showcased the power of the newer generation of consoles in the Saturn/PS1 in the mid-90s.

Panzer Dragoon remake was ok.  I think I liked the sequel a lot more with its expanded story, berzerker attack, and evolving Dragoon.  This remake isn't quite on the same level as something like the Shadow of Colossus remake or anything, but it is a much older title and a much more limited budget.

I'm glad it exists (and that they are working on remaking the sequel) but $25 for a 2 hour game without much reply value is a big ask.  Let alone dropping $40 or $60 for a physical copy.  Unless you are a big Saturn/Panzer Dragoon fan, I'd suggest waiting for a sale.

Never played the original game since I never owned a Saturn, sadly. Always wanted to though. So when the remake came out I immediately bought it. I thought it was good but not as good as I hoped. But I guess I just hyped it up in my head over the years. Looking forward to Part 2 and (hopefully) PD Saga which is the big one I've really been waiting for.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm still waiting on the mail for some reason to deliver it from LRG. 😕  I used to play the hell out of the original game on both WIndows9X and Saturn (sequel on Saturn too) so I remember it fairly well in some respects.

Ditto x2, but at least I got a message from LRG that it's on it's way.  It should arrive tomorrow.

Mine arrived today, didn't recognize it at first as it was in a bland white box.  They threw this holo border card in the bottom of the box with a little paper in there then the game.  I'll have to try it out later or tomorrow.  One of the biggest selling points of the Saturn to me when I got one nearly 20 years ago now.