IGNORED

Battletoads...what a game

Khromak

I've never really made it much past the Turbo Tunnel in the past, but I recently got an Everdrive N8 Pro, largely because I wanted to have more than 1 save state slot to practice. Since then I've been grinding at the game hardcore, got a save state at the beginning of each level and just practiced each one over and over again.

At this point I can get from the beginning to Clinger Winger (11) on the original cartridge without using a continue, so I guess the Clinger Winger grind begins. The level is just so boring to me, hard to stay motivated about pressing the dpad perfectly for a couple minutes in a row.

I must say though, the game is actually really fun. Beating it comes down to a lot of memorization, but there's enough skill and dexterity involved that it's still quite challenging.

Hopefully I'll get the last 2 stages practiced soon and I'll be able to finally beat this beast. I've seen some posts online suggesting that you pause when coming to a turn to buffer the new input, but that still means you have to pause at the right time. This one's going to be a challenge I'm sure. I feel like the final level will be easier than Clinger for me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never done the pause trick with Clinger Winger. Learned it the old fashioned way.

If you're not pausing then you need a great condition dpad and zero lag. You can't be accidentally pressing multiple directions at once or have any responsiveness issues.

Just beat level 12 and the dark queen, with ample load stating. I think I have all the stages down to a reasonable competency now. Definitely not "only die twice" level, but more like "theoretically could beat the game" level.

Going to do a little more practice on 11 and 12, then boot it up on the OG cart again for some fresh runs (maybe tomorrow)

I can't do it anymore and not really I think since the late 90s early 00s, but I used to be able to run that game through just fine.  I get just too pissed off at the wasted effort tolerating those speed tunnels at the points in the game I just don't bother anymore.  The rest I'm fine with, but when it gets to where you need like Tyson level precision and speed, basically have to memorize like 50 moves in a stage not to slam in a wall...I'm over it.