IGNORED

Game Debate #25: Resident Evil 4

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I picked it up on GC on release and it certainly blew me away. At the time, I would have given it a 9/10. It had a few annoyances but the overall experience was pretty amazing for its time. I went back to replay it a few months ago and it certainly feels a bit clunkier today but there's still a lot of enjoy about it. Some of the late-game areas are a real slog. I'd give it an 7.5-8/10 today and still think it's worth a play, even if you don't finish it.

Also, in hindsight, QTE's are one of the most annoying things to happen to modern gaming and RE4 helped popularize them. 😑

Edited by Webhead123

Meh... 5. This feels like one of those games I just played at the wrong time. Dragged through it and never really had interest in replaying it even though I didn't really dislike it. I found the game to be drab and muddy even though that's likely intentional. I definitely found it a little too long for what it is. Didn't really like the merchant and inventory changes. 

6/10 for me. I enjoyed the game on release, played it again for the extra content when released on PS2, and that was the last time I ran through it.

I liked the mechanical changes to the game, but the two main reasons I've never bothered to go back to this game are the same reasons I don't go back and re-play any of the RE games that came after: I'm not really a fan of the change from a virus to a parasite. I know there's a little more to it than that, but I really do prefer the story and intrigue of the first three games. The other reason is ease; I found this game to be too easy, and in general, most of the games post-4 make the characters feel too powerful and the sense of being on edge was lost for me after 3.

I've never played through the game myself, but I remember watching my college roommate play it on his GameCube and thinking that it looked like a pretty cool RE game despite being pretty different from the original formula.  I remember thinking that it was more of an action game than survival horror, but I was ok with that at the time.  I think that it still had just enough elements of survivor horror for me to be ok with it.  RE 5 and 6 went too far into the action genre for my liking.  I've seen enough of the game to feel that I would probably rate it a 6 or 7 if I played it, but I can't ever imagine liking it more than 1 and 2.  However, since I haven't actually played it myself, I won't give it an official rating.  It's still a goal of mine to get through this game someday.   

Administrator · Posted

I first played it on PS2, so my experience included all the improvements that came with that version.

I found it very replayable with the unlockable and everything, and I loved the silly playthroughs with Leon using an infinite ammo Tommy Gun, and Ashley in a fuckin suit of armor. Just hilarious. 

The proverbial shark jump happened in 5; 4 was a great mix of kitch and horror, while 5+ went way too far down the action lane. There's nothing to be scared of when you have watermelon arms, lookin at you, Chris. 

10/10.

RE2 and RE3 were good but I always felt like they were missing something. These aren't really action games so the combat not feeling great is acceptable but I dunno, I didn't think their inventory management or route planning are particularly involved or awesome either. Other aspects of the games helped fill the hole somewhat, but while they did fairly good on the atmosphere, they can't really match the Silent Hill games or their own later REmake. And the story in this series certainly has never provided much worth caring about. Additionally, even in Hard Mode RE2 had basically no difficulty whatsoever past the very beginning if you even halfway know what you're doing. RE4 solved the problem for me by actually making combat fun and maintaining the spooky atmosphere where appropriate while tossing in a ridiculous amount of cheese. Preventing you from running and shooting at the same time helped maintain some of the tension from the more limited combat in earlier games. Also liked what they did with Inventory. Even the motion controls in the Wii version are good, to the point that they arguably imbalance the game a bit because you probably shouldn't be able to aim as quickly and precisely as they allow you to.

Quick time events suck, though.