Jump to content
IGNORED

FS/FO: NES Rares VGS Exclusives: Mario 3 Left Bros vga 85 155 obo


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, RH said:

I just don't see someone even throwing down $125k for this, and then resubmitting it to WATA (coz WATA is the shizz) and then flipping it.  The mega-spenders just want it done.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's a quality I've noticed, in general, over many decades regardless of the market.

It wouldn’t be likely as a quick flip. But I could see someone buying it at a “discount” just to “cross” it to Wata with a “better grade” for a “long term investment”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10% of the sale price dontated to VGS 155k obo

Have you tried reaching out to the American Dental Association?   

Could you break it up into little squares and part it out? I’d like to own a small precent of it instead. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Amermoe said:

The other part they can't grasp is that a VGA85 Left Bros like the one SealedWholesale is showing off is likely in much better condition than the one that just sold for ~155K, and that most VGA graded games on average are in much better condition than they are led to believe.

you're right about NES 85! Tough to get 85

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 12:10 AM, bergalon said:

I'd love to know who the second bidder was too. Any bets on whether it was a prudent and careful collector of rare and wonderful plastic making an informed decision about an "investment" or a simple case of "Damn I have too much tesla stock and this money hurts"? 

It was some random that works at heritage probably bidding against another random heritage employee 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

oh my goodness! my price is way too low.

 

 

I'm going to start spending like I already made the sale. it's in the bag!!!

In all seriousness, if you shipped that thing to WATA AS-IS to have them re-grade it, you will obviously get a better grade than the one that sold on Heritage.

From there, and this is the part I'm clueless on, if you can get your copy in front of people who talk around these high-ballers, you could promote it as the "Highest graded, known copy!" and then after that try to look for a private sale, and "tax is on the buyer!".  If you can get the attention of the right idiot person, it wouldn't surprise me if you could net $200k or more.  That is only assuming there really are other people, with deep pockets and are only looking at previously high-dollar items they can throw money at.

Plot twist, though!  This guy in Dubai is actually smart.  He's setting on an entire freakin pallet of left-handed Bros, and he's shipping half of them to WATA now!  He's gonna slowly sell them all of in the next 10 years and make a killa profit from all the hype he just started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RH said:

In all seriousness, if you shipped that thing to WATA AS-IS to have them re-grade it, you will obviously get a better grade than the one that sold on Heritage.

From there, and this is the part I'm clueless on, if you can get your copy in front of people who talk around these high-ballers, you could promote it as the "Highest graded, known copy!" and then after that try to look for a private sale, and "tax is on the buyer!".  If you can get the attention of the right idiot person, it wouldn't surprise me if you could net $200k or more.  That is only assuming there really are other people, with deep pockets and are only looking at previously high-dollar items they can throw money at.

Plot twist, though!  This guy in Dubai is actually smart.  He's setting on an entire freakin pallet of left-handed Bros, and he's shipping half of them to WATA now!  He's gonna slowly sell them all of in the next 10 years and make a killa profit from all the hype he just started.

there is some version of this in every hobby. It's called marketing.

 

if someone wants a left bros vga 85 they know where to find it. if other mario 3s come and go in the meantime that's fantastic.

 

Why are people spending a fortune on plastic? why are collectors only looking on 1 site to find 1 of a kind items?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

@SealedWholesale I get that.  And the truth is, you can do whatever you want to do.  I know there are a lot of people (myself included) that are sitting on their high horses, shaking their heads and laughing a little.  That said, if any of the few sealed games I have all of a sudden start commanding stupid money, especially high enough to buy a decent house in my area, you better believe I'm going to look to maximize my profits with that crowd, which would certainly involve shipping a game off to WATA vs VGA.

I don't know your personal story.  Maybe that kind of money isn't a big deal.  But, if I could sell one game for even $100,000 and I then re-spent (cough... I won't say "invest") all of that money back into games, I'd quadruple the value of my collection!

I can't say that I agree with all of these big dollars floating around.  I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a regular around here that doesn't laugh at that $153k price tag that game got, however, we can't deny the fact that new blood has entered the market and they've proven they have deep pockets and simply chase dollar signs from falsely inflated ideas of scarcity.  All I'm saying is, if you have something they want, give it to them in the best package that you can offer it in.  Take their money and walk away.  It's their choice to throw cash at you, but just be sure you're doing everything to give them what they want, and that might be taking a VGA 85 and resubbing it for a WATA 9.2-9.4, or whatever, it might be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RH said:

@SealedWholesale we can't deny the fact that new blood has entered the market and they've proven they have deep pockets and simply chase dollar signs from falsely inflated ideas of scarcity. 

Yes we can. Who are they? They are imaginary and you should only trust your own ACH payments instead of numbers on a screen.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

Why are people spending a fortune on plastic?

Same reason they spend a fortune on fine art, watches, cars that never leave the garage... to flex? Or maybe to invest???

(Have you seen this by the way?)

17 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

why are collectors only looking on 1 site to find 1 of a kind items?

I'm just speculating here but maybe it's that in some circles you are cool if you spend all your time going to yard sales, find a raw game in the wild and mail it off to Wata, while in other circles you are cool if you buy auctions straight from the most well known auction house and spend big bucks. The dentist who dropped a million $ wasn't going to get attention from the press if he was spending smaller money on loose carts. It's not a big deal anymore to do what everyone else is doing. 

Also as crazy as it sounds, there are some people who have already made a profit buying from only 1 site and selling there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

I'm just speculating here but maybe it's that in some circles you are cool if you spend all your time going to yard sales, find a raw game in the wild and mail it off to Wata, while in other circles you are cool if you buy auctions straight from the most well known auction house and spend big bucks. The dentist who dropped a million $ wasn't going to get attention from the press if he was spending smaller money on loose carts. It's not a big deal anymore to do what everyone else is doing. 

Also as crazy as it sounds, there are some people who have already made a profit buying from only 1 site and selling there too.

You nailed it, and I've seen this before.  The deep pocket collector (and I'm talking about people with a net worth probably starting in the $10m range and up) isn't going to be interested in the hunt for games.  I assume that for most of us here, and historically within game collecting the past 20-25 years, anyone doing this has had some form of enjoyment of hunting down games, even it if was strictly watching eBay like a hawk, waiting for that one rare game to pop up.

However, when you get to the mega-rich collectors, for them it seems to be that all they want is to show they have something scarce and of value.  Now, I won't say they don't have an attachment to games... or comics... or ball cards.  Maybe they did as a kid, although that might have looked significantly different to them than it did for us if they grew up rich.  The attachment could be there.  However, "working" in a hobby looks very different for them.  At most, you'll probably find someone like @Bronty who hunts down the most obscure stuff that's rare and, even then, they might higher people to hunt down names and cold call them looking for art.  The other, "casual rich" collectors are going to want the items that seem to be the most top-shelf and rare specimens and if Heritage tells them that's what it is, then they follow those trails with their dollars.

TL;DR: They are completely a different breed and they rarely enjoy the hunt for rare stuff.  Instead, they want what appears to be that top-quality, rare item (or 10 of them) so they can wave it around and show off what they have.  I do believe this sold for this value, but not because I think it's worth it.  I just believe that Heritage and their news letters are going towards the right crowd that want's to throw money at the hot new collectible scene--video games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I'm just speculating here but maybe it's that in some circles you are cool if you spend all your time going to yard sales, find a raw game in the wild and mail it off to Wata, while in other circles you are cool if you buy auctions straight from the most well known auction house and spend big bucks.

 

as long as we are speculating how about::

grading companies need to convince owners of sealed or CIB games that it's worth grading instead keeping raw. and the more grading companies there are the more you have to distinguish to your customers why 1 grading company is better than the other

 

there are so many ways to not pay for an auction, yet it still shows up as a "sale" or "completed listing". If you're an online seller for 1 month you figure out how much not_money there is inside of "selling" things online

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SealedWholesale said:

as long as we are speculating how about::

grading companies need to convince owners of sealed or CIB games that it's worth grading instead keeping raw. and the more grading companies there are the more you have to distinguish to your customers why 1 grading company is better than the other

 

there are so many ways to not pay for an auction, yet it still shows up as a "sale" or "completed listing". If you're an online seller for 1 month you figure out how much not_money there is inside of "selling" things online

Yuck is this Annie Mae 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 11:52 PM, Nickfraun said:

Who is this anyway? I get intermittent emails from them saying we did business before. They had a couple good items but trying to make a deal, or even communicate effectively, was just not possible.

didnt I get my test carts from you a decade ago?

 

Edited by SealedWholesale
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SealedWholesale changed the title to FS/FO: NES Rares VGS Exclusives: Mario 3 Left Bros vga 85 155 obo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...