IGNORED

PS4 vs. Switch games: Which verison to choose for multiplatform games?

acromite53

I missed out on a lot of games this past generation (XB1,PS4,Switch). Now that I am getting back into these games, I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get the Ps4 or Switch versions. Basically every game will run better on Ps4, obviously. But I feel like I am neglecting the Switch and I would rather play a game on a Nintendo platform since I am a Nintendo fan. So I have to decide if I value the portability/novelty of Switch or the graphics / framerate of Ps4 versions. 

Some of the games in question are: Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom, Descenders, Crash n'sane Trilogy, Darksouls Remastered, A Hat in Time, Trials of Mana, Burnout Paradise, Dragon quest 11, etc.

I played Doom and La Noir on Switch before I got a PS4. Since then, my Switch has regrettably turned into a first party / indie machine only. And since Nintendo only releases Wii U ports and very few original titles, I have no reason to use the Switch right now. That is why I have been searching for games to play on it. I do like seeing AAA games on the Switch for the novelty of it. But the Switch versions are just impractical when the PS4 is an option.

What have y'all been choosing if you have the choice between game versions?

Edited by acromite53

• The title was changed to PS4 vs. Switch games: Which verison to choose for multiplatform games?

For a while I was buying every game on Switch over PS4 just because it's Nintendo and it can work as a handheld. As time has gone on I realize how dumb that is. PS4 versions are often cheaper and better looking, and I rarely, if ever, use Switch in handheld mode. So now I buy all multiplatform games on PS4 unless the game benefits from being played handheld which is moreso the smaller indie games. Bigger AAA games, always on PS4.

• Like 3

I don't own a Switch yet, but my plan is to only buy the exclusives when I do.

I don't use hand held. The PS4 is generally the superior version of games. Many of the Indie games have lower print runs on the PS4. And someone can correct me, but the controller options seem superior on the PS4. I don't think the base controller is super comfortable, but I have a feeling when I drop $100 - $150 on a controller I will enjoy it. (Someone can correct me if I am wrong, because the last point is conjecture.)

It literally varies for me. I had every system from PS one to PS4, as well as both the PSP and PS Vita, and am debating if I will get a PS5. Where as I did not have every Nintendo system they have put out.

Nintendo = Nintendo exclusives + portable option + better customer service.

Sony = Everything else if there are games you like playing when it comes to both systems.

In all cases I had fun using the online mode for a few PS4 games I bought digitally. And was totally engrossed in Dragon Quest XI during the first half of that game. But that was pretty much it in the end.

With my Switch Lite I bought a bunch of JRPGs I have wanted to play for some time. And while it does compete with my PC, I find it to be a joy to have despite it being "inferior" to the PS4 in regards to graphics, etc.

In the end, Nintendo is a better fit for me. But I am also very nitpicky about the type of games I buy these days. And can only suggest that you check out their libraries first before making a definite decision.

Honestly, the Switch one.  I couldn't think of a case when I had the PS4, or where it would apply too the PS3, where I'd take the console version over the hybrid. The stuff I did have wasn't all that largely downgraded anyway, and typically playing in mobile mode for comfort you really notice it even less vs probably seeing it more on a 40+ inch screen.

And in all salt in the wound snark here, with Nintendo thankfully again cheaping out on internal storage, which by now I'm equally convinced is intentional to force finished game releases, not mostly beta and patch mentality, I like games work out of the box and don't need hours of downloads.  Yes I know it happens, there are some poor releases, but it's not the normal.

A selection of games where I opted for the Switch:
Mega Man 11, Monster Boy, Blazing chrome, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Aggelos, Celeste, The Messenger.

As for PS4:
Bloodstained ROTN (reportedly runs like complete garbage on Switch 😞), Dark Souls Remastered

Basically I go for Switch with anything where I'm not expecting to take a notable hit to the performance.
Dark Souls was the hardest choice, because I would love to have been able to play that game handheld. But on the other hand getting to re-experience the game in consistent 60 FPS was amazing, and I'm glad I went that way. Also, the "Dark Souls Trilogy" release was a great value-for-money option that includes all DLC and the re-releases of DS1+DS2.

Edited by Sumez

For me, it comes down to whether or not I think my kids will want to play it.  If I know they will be into it, Switch.  But if not, probably the PS4.  I almost never play it portably (my kids do, but not me), so I might as well get the best looking version, and 90% of the time, cheaper version too.  

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

A selection of games where I opted for the Switch:
Mega Man 11, Monster Boy, Blazing chrome, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Aggelos, Celeste, The Messenger.

As for PS4:
Bloodstained ROTN (reportedly runs like complete garbage on Switch 😞), Dark Souls Remastered

Basically I go for Switch with anything where I'm not expecting to take a notable hit to the performance.
Dark Souls was the hardest choice, because I would love to have been able to play that game handheld. But on the other hand getting to re-experience the game in consistent 60 FPS was amazing, and I'm glad I went that way. Also, the "Dark Souls Trilogy" release was a great value-for-money option that includes all DLC and the re-releases of DS1+DS2.

Bloodstained was a bloody head wound when it came out, inexcusable release at the time with poor to little optimization so it ran bad, and then all the textures and filters used were awful, muddy, blurry, overly basic, almost N64 like AA textures thrown on clean missing assets.  They've long since patched it out and brought the frame rate up to par, so the physical release while fine and playable is crap, but you patch it, and it's good to go.

Also you might want to look into the whole Dark Souls Remastered story/review up on Digital Foundry, you may be surprised to see (at same resolution mind you) the Switch version is the most stable.  While it's set at 30fps, it's locked at that, frame rate and frame time.  The others PS3/360 and PS4/One they all try and shoot for 60fps, and usually chug often in the 40s with an even more unstable frametime so the game feels non fluid and jerky.  I was shocked to see those guys always on about performance and hits drooling over the odd Switch superiority with the 30fps.

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Also you might want to look into the whole Dark Souls Remastered story/review up on Digital Foundry, you may be surprised to see (at same resolution mind you) the Switch version is the most stable.  While it's set at 30fps, it's locked at that, frame rate and frame time.  The others PS3/360 and PS4/One they all try and shoot for 60fps, and usually chug often in the 40s with an even more unstable frametime so the game feels non fluid and jerky.  I was shocked to see those guys always on about performance and hits drooling over the odd Switch superiority with the 30fps.

Interesting you say this. I have played this game on the PS3, PS4 (not Pro) and Switch and I found the Switch version to be the most stable. Now it makes sense. And every Dark Souls fan favourite area, Blight Town, ran really well on the Switch.

Definitely agree about Bloodstained though. I ended up playing it on the PC due to all the issues I heard about. Glad to hear it was patched up eventually.

2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Interesting you say this. I have played this game on the PS3, PS4 (not Pro) and Switch and I found the Switch version to be the most stable. Now it makes sense. And every Dark Souls fan favourite area, Blight Town, ran really well on the Switch.

Definitely agree about Bloodstained though. I ended up playing it on the PC due to all the issues I heard about. Glad to hear it was patched up eventually.

Yeah that's the trick and you could watch the video to see it side by side to prove the point with their 2 line graphs for both FPS and FT(frame time) and it's really shitty the crap that company spewed about what they did so well on 2 generations of PS and XB hardware as it's bullshit.  They just kept cranking up the resolution, and other assets but well beyond the capability of the hardware and they knew it, but they'd still say it was this 60fps masterpiece to play.  It really needed a big fat barry bonds level asterisk on it like most games on those 2 where that peddle that bs.  Often they're not running at 1080p, it's some middling one in the 700s to 900s, and that's to get 60fps in the low traffic or more interior spaces, but once you get into multiple things going on screen, worse so in an open space, you end up rolling in the upper 30s to low-mid 40s with a frame time that sputters around it like reading a heart monitor.  So you may see fluidity, but the motion as you combat the enemy puts you in a spot of reaction issues.  So while the Switch at 720p is just as pretty at that level, it actually is the best game because they were stuck and forced to set lower than 60, so they took the 30fps standard, locked it, and locked the frame time, so the game is fluid.  I had the game on Switch, dumped it, just because it got too vast for me to commit, I didn't find it infuriatingly hard like some do.

I have bloodstained on PC too, want it on switch, but I refuse to pay like over $10-15 for it maybe $20 tops.  My brother works still all these years for pipeworks, a larger company that owns or controls many others, one being 505 Studios who published that game, so I got a free steam code the day the game arrived so I've played it off and on on there. 🙂

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

A stable 30FPS is definitely good, and a clear improvement over the original version of the game. I think the Switch one is absolutely a valid choice.

But hitting 60 at most key locations in the game really was something special. I'm glad I went with the PS4 one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

A stable 30FPS is definitely good, and a clear improvement over the original version of the game. I think the Switch one is absolutely a valid choice.

But hitting 60 at most key locations in the game really was something special. I'm glad I went with the PS4 one.

I totally get that, personally for me 30 to 60fps isn't a big difference where it causes me to go 'wow that sucks' or what's wrong with my game, so I just never cared.  I guess without not even knowing what I was looking for, it's what I feel for, until I got the technical name off DF/DF Retro is frame time.  I'd rather be consistent than blazing and sputtering.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:35 AM, Tanooki said:

personally for me 30 to 60fps isn't a big difference where it causes me to go 'wow that sucks' or what's wrong with my game, so I just never cared.

Yeah sub 30 FPS is where it starts to become a potential issue - but I'll agree that a stable 30 is more than adequate for most 3D games. As much as I'd love 60 to be the standard, there's absolutely nothing wrong with 30 FPS for a game like this.

I'd also say anything above 60 definitely has diminishing returns.

But hitting 60 FPS is just that extra pizazz where you still feel a major difference going up from 30. I don't believe anyone who claims they don't. To me it was something that really helped set the remaster apart from the original game.
And describing the PS4 version of DS1 Remastered "sputtering" is incredibly inaccurate. It plays like a dream.

• Like 1

I don't buy many titles that are on both Switch and PS4 since I use those consoles mostly for exclusives. That being said, the Switch has the edge by being a primarily portable device, so I will usually take that version. If for some reason the Switch performance is absolutely terrible, then I'd consider the PS4 version, knowing I'd probably never actually play it.