IGNORED

Movie Debate #45: Groundhog Day

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

I had to vote 10/10.  This is one of the most re-watchable movies in existence for me.  There are few comedies that don't get stale on repeat viewings, and this is one of them.  Murray nails the role, and it's got the added effect of dealing with one of those "what would you do if..." scenarios that is so intriguing to think about.  And I like that they don't shy away from what most guys would focus on (at least at first) if they found themselves in the same shoes 😉  So many good scenes...

That was an easy 10 for me. One of Murray's best films and What About Bob is a close second.

Another fun fact, there were scenes that were cut where to show the length of time that would pass, Phil starts each day taking a book off of the book case in the B&B. He starts with the first book, reads the first page and puts it back. Each day, he would read one page from the bookshelf, working his way from page to page, book to book, shelf to shelf.

Through out the film, the showed how he progressed by reading the entire book case... and then started over.

Apparently when they first screened the film, the inclusion of that simple metric just made the film way to depressing. I find it odd. I actually think I would have appreciated it.

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, RH said:

That was an easy 10 for me. One of Murray's best films and What About Bob is a close second.

Another fun fact, there were scenes that were cut where to show the length of time that would pass, Phil starts each day taking a book off of the book case in the B&B. He starts with the first book, reads the first page and puts it back. Each day, he would read one page from the bookshelf, working his way from page to page, book to book, shelf to shelf.

Through out the film, the showed how he progressed by reading the entire book case... and then started over.

Apparently when they first screened the film, the inclusion of that simple metric just made the film way to depressing. I find it odd. I actually think I would have appreciated it.

That would imply his character has been stuck for decades (or decades upon decades).  I think he'd be too far gone mentally (or too mentally old) at that point for the movie to continue like it does.

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Haven't seen it, but wouldn't be opposed to watching it.  I love Bill Murray.  Need to look this up for sure because he is a favorite of mine.

Voted, not seen, but interested!!!!!

One might say this is the seminal Murray movie (big claim, I know), so I'm surprised you're not familiar with it.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

One might say this is the seminal Murray movie (big claim, I know), so I'm surprised you're not familiar with it.

well, I was aware of it, just haven't put too much effort into trying to find a source to watch it.  I was also 10 when it came out.....i think......and my parents didn't watch a lot of movies so therefore I didn't either....

56 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

well, I was aware of it, just haven't put too much effort into trying to find a source to watch it.  I was also 10 when it came out.....i think......and my parents didn't watch a lot of movies so therefore I didn't either....

I was 12.  I didn't see it in theaters, for sure, but at some point I saw it.  Maybe a rental, maybe it was when it finally made it to TBS.  Regardless, it was an instant-classic, and it's really hard to find a film that fits that classification for someone that's 14-16 and it carries over into their adulthood (unless it's a children's film.)

This was just a very creative, brilliant film and Bill Murray was just in full Bill Murray mode.  It's just an excellent film and I recommend not waiting until Groundhog Day to watch it.  Instead, watch it on a cold winter's night and a nice bowl of popcorn.  It's just an all around good film.

• 2 weeks later...