IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - 2020 Tournament - Alien Syndrome

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

rotfl! good form @ninjistar

The sniper gets sniped by his student. Sorry @docile tapeworm!  It actually looks like you're in 12th though. @8bitdontquitand @Ausden came in ahead of you. If it means anything to you, I got this score with the last 2 hours and was actively trying to best it, but I kept messing up. 

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I wasn't going to beat stage 4 even with save state practice so I worked on point pressing techniques instead. I just point pressed as much as I could in stage 4 instead of trying to beat it. I definitely got more points that way.

I had a similar process. If you point press on stage 2 and stage 4, you should be able to get 500k - 600k without fighting the boss. I was not able to do this in my runs as I kept dying very early in stage 4. 

So I had the game paused when the player sprite was still flickering and went away to do something and came back later. It left this weird flickery ghost image of the sprite in the center of my monitor for over an hour before it finally faded away.  It was still there even after turning the monitor off and resetting the computer.

Seems to be an issue with IPS displays and flickering images.

Events Team · Posted

First week of the tournament is now over! It was a quiet week, but still an important week for our 15 competitors facing each others at the unlicensed, yet classic video game, Alien Syndrome. Here's the result for the NES Weekly Contest 2020 Tournament's first round :

1st @Gaia Gensouki 1,108,500
2nd @Richardhead 981,800
3rd @bertsampson 800,900
4th @Tablew/chairs 793,700

5th @NESfiend 586,000
6th @0xDEAFC0DE545,700
7th @8bitdontquit 500,900
8th @mbd39 441,700
9th @Jeevan 395,600
10th @ninjistar383,800
11th @Ausden 359,100
12th @docile tapeworm 322,100
13th @SuperJimtendo 320,900
14th @JamesRobot 263,900
15th @TWarwick07 No score

First, congratulations to players ranked from 10th to 1st place for making it to the second round of the tournament! Best of luck to all of you at Gyruss this coming week!

Gaia Gensouki is the only player breaking the million mark and thus earning the win for the week, which is still a nice achievement during tournament's weeks. Let's also note the very strong start from Richie, former NES Weekly Contest 2016 champion, with a score slightly below the million mark. Geral leaderboard winner, Bert, still got a good start, though playing quite conservatively given his commitment to the Homebrew Contest finals. Hat tipped to Table for coming just behind Bert's score, which give us a foresight of rivalry that might wait for the final round to be settled down!

Unfortunately, 5 of our heroes had to fail during this week, and we still want to thank them for playing in the tournament and in the contest throughout the year. Regular contestant Ausden took the bitter 11th place, only shy of 24kish points of a spot for the second round. Losing contest's talented shooter player docile tapeworm (aka skinnygrinny) is certainly an upset, especially after today's announcement of the next round shooter game. This round also saw the falling of two of the most talented artists of the NES Weekly Contest, SuperJimtendo and JamesRobot, who both gave us so much fun during the special Videomation contest! And last but not least, even with no score posted, we can say farewell to contest's veteran Twarwick07 for his commitment to the contest this year, in the hope to see him playing again in 2021.

Thanks to everyone involved and see you all in the second round thread of the VGS NES Weekly Contest 2020 Tournament!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

family, overtime saturday, flat tire, fix faucet, tile job.....

tetris knocked me out first round one year 😁

And I was knocked out by Rad Racer even though I got a solid score of 63k.

I definitely should have had Tetris and you should've had Rad Racer lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

And I was knocked out by Rad Racer even though I got a solid score of 63k.

I definitely should have had Tetris and you should've had Rad Racer lol.

lol that was the year top seeds had a choice of games. like "who am i playing aginst? tapeworm...ill pick tetris"

• The topic was unpinned