IGNORED

What environment in a game is your jam?

Nintegageo

I think one of the things I really liked about Breath of the Wild was that much of the world was bowl shaped.  This meant, you could be in a highly detailed area toward the edge of a region, but see far across the entire expanse, for miles.  This isn't a parallaxed background in the distance, but a mountain or a dungeon waaaaaay far off that you can run to if you want to.

There's something about seeing frequent shots or vantage points of close up detail and lands far off that you know are left to explore.  So, basically, I like to see and be in a world that feels BIG.  It's not enough to be just a really, really big world.  It needs to feel big.

Regarding specific environments within games, I like more pastoral areas.  Lightly wooded, fields, grass. I grew up on a farm and it reminds me of home, without so much technology. I'm not really looking to be technically impressed, as much as I am being drawn into the environment, like it's a real natural park.  I also like the world of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the overworld areas for this reason.  A lot of unrealistic fantasy world stuff, but at times it still felt peaceful if you weren't being attacked.  I dig that.

• Like 1

For me, I guess it is more about the art design of an environment more than the environment itself but I suppose I have a real soft spot for "naturalistic" environments that are colorful, stylized and have a bit of fantastic flair to them. The upcoming Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a great example of what I find appealing. Nice, saturated colors with good use of contrast, approaching a mix between realistic landscapes and layouts but with a bit of the "fantastic" thrown in to catch the eye.

Too much of an attempt at "realism" tends to just make everything muddy and indistinct, while if an environment is too fantastical, it breaks immersion by being too distracting.

Edited by Webhead123

Tropical/summer stuff like DKC, Mario Sunshine and Wave Race 64. Reminds me of summer break when I was younger.

I really like any environment that adds well to a game. Even if it's more gritty and drab something like Max Payne would be a good example. Really liked the cold and light snow coupled the dark city streets and rundown crack dens. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Specifically, the environment of the electrical stage in Donkey Kong Jr. speaks to me for some reason. I'm pretty sure that when I first got into playing DK Jr., I paused the game at this level just to stare at it for a little bit. I've never done that before as far as I can remember. Something about the colors, the enemy sprites, the layout ... it's just so cool.

1789628900_DKJrElectricalLevel.jpg.05c507d4e4aedc311e2f591f9d28c6ac.jpg

In a more general sense, though, I love environments where you get to play as a miniature character in a regular-sized house. There's something really neat about seeing the mundane from a completely new perspective that's really engaging. I remember briefly playing a Flushed Away game like this on Gamecube, and the entirety of Monster In My Pocket [NES] has environments like this.

-CasualCart