IGNORED

Immortals Fenyx Rising: New BOTW clone

Kguillemette

To me BOTW is more style over substance yes the open world is big and has a lot of habitats but there isn't really much to do. Most of it is obsolete and you have to fill in the value of finding shrines, gathering food, killing grunts because the game itself doesn't do that within it's structure. The sense of progression isn't really there.

6 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

While BOTW has some interesting locales scattered around, it's basically a copy/paste job when it comes to enemy encampments, shrines and towers. It got old pretty quickly for me. Toss in mechanics I thought added more pain than fun; like the rain, lightning, cooking, and weapon durability, it became a game I just couldn't get into.

Not to mention the drawn out fights against overpowered HP sponges like the Lynels and certain guardian fights in the shrines, and there was little fun left.

I won't go over the incessant need to farm for some armour upgrades.

I know most will disagree, but to each their own 😯

I thought the same thing about the Lynels until I realized there's a method to damaging them. You can stun them and climb on their back to do a lot of damage at once.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Remember how older magazines used to include a "Fun Factor" score? That's where BotW scores a 10 and that's why people love it. It is extraordinarily difficult to describe why it feels so much better than almost all other open world games, but it does. I'm playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla on Series X right now and it is a good game, but it contains none of the wonder of BotW.

I will admit, I haven't finished BoTW. I'm half way through, but am on an extended break. Why? Because it's SO BORING!!

Of course, that is just my opinion. I fully recognize and affirm your opinion. Truth is, I am being a bit harsh on the game. If it was utterly boring, I would have entirely quit the game, but the fact that I am taking a long hiatus means that it honestly got stale and repetitive. I completely agree that the "fun factor" is the most important thing and that is of course in the eye of the player. I found Skyrim to be far richer, more interesting, more engaging, better designed, and much more fun than BoTW. I honestly believe that if BoTW had been a new franchise, so basically the exact same game minus Link, Zelda, Ganon, etc. the scores and praise would nowhere be where they are now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I honestly believe that if BoTW had been a new franchise, so basically the exact same game minus Link, Zelda, Ganon, etc. the scores and praise would nowhere be where they are now.

This is definitely a valid point, although I don't totally agree. I actually think BotW may have been received more positively as a new franchise. As is, I was actually a bit disappointed by the lack of some previous Zelda staples, particularly the dungeons/items gameplay style I love. If they had made the overworld exactly what it is, but cut the shrines in half and added eight well-designed dungeons with items and upgrades within... *chef's kiss* That would be my dream Zelda game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This is definitely a valid point, although I don't totally agree. I actually think BotW may have been received more positively as a new franchise. As is, I was actually a bit disappointed by the lack of some previous Zelda staples, particularly the dungeons/items gameplay style I love. If they had made the overworld exactly what it is, but cut the shrines in half and added eight well-designed dungeons with items and upgrades within... *chef's kiss* That would be my dream Zelda game.

I certainly agree. Smaller overworld, more diverse enemies, less shrines, add dungeons and items, that would have been MUCH better!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cartman said:

To me BOTW is more style over substance yes the open world is big and has a lot of habitats but there isn't really much to do.

I "kinda" get that, but if you try playing any single other AAA open world game, you'll notice how much better BOTW actually is than all of those in exactly that aspect. It's a problem with every game in this style, and BOTW was a step forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aguy said:

How far are you in Builders 2? That game took almost as long as DQ XI for me to beat.

Goodness. Maybe 50-60 hours and I probably have another 5-10 to go. I was really apprehensive to play this one and the first one but I find them both to be pretty relaxing and enjoyable.

3 hours ago, Ausden said:

Goodness. Maybe 50-60 hours and I probably have another 5-10 to go. I was really apprehensive to play this one and the first one but I find them both to be pretty relaxing and enjoyable.

Sounds about right. I never played the first one, but my son and I enjoyed number 2. I did the building and he did all the exploring and resource collection on the islands. 

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

I "kinda" get that, but if you try playing any single other AAA open world game, you'll notice how much better BOTW actually is than all of those in exactly that aspect. It's a problem with every game in this style, and BOTW was a step forward.

I hear you, and while this is highly subjective, I disagree.

I find the opposite to be true. BOTW's overworld is has a lot of barren monuments that are cool-looking, but are repopulated with the same few enemy varieties.

In contrast, games like Skyrim, Witcher 3 and even GTA are much more varied and interesting to explore IMO, due to more varied settings and quest markers. I also find BOTW's overworld to be unnecessarily large, to the point that it inhibits the joy of exploring it if you are not hooked on the game's controversial mechanics. The size of the map is often quoted as one of the game's biggest strenghts, but I find it to be one of the game's biggest weaknesses, seeing how incredibly barren and lifeless it is. Although it was a very conscious decision to make the setting a civilization aftermath, I view it more as a developer's excuse for not being able to populate it with more life and interesting characters, as well as mission variety.

I still get your view though, and concede that the world of BOTW might be more interesting to many. I just don't agree.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

I hear you, and while this is highly subjective, I disagree.

I'm not sure where subjectivity comes in. Outside of the barren icy mountains in the west side of the map, and the plateau you start the game on, there's constantly new stuff to discover in BOTW. Basically every time you cross a corner or go over a hill you'll see like a bunch of new places that you want to check out, and they just stack up. It's "getting sidetracked" the game.

That never happens in any of the other games you mention.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Aguy said:

Sounds about right. I never played the first one, but my son and I enjoyed number 2. I did the building and he did all the exploring and resource collection on the islands. 

Just finished. I checked my profile and it said 75 or more hours. I would put it around 76-80 hours which I feel the first one was about the same. 

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure where subjectivity comes in. Outside of the barren icy mountains in the west side of the map, and the plateau you start the game on, there's constantly new stuff to discover in BOTW. Basically every time you cross a corner or go over a hill you'll see like a bunch of new places that you want to check out, and they just stack up. It's "getting sidetracked" the game.

That never happens in any of the other games you mention.

Literally everything you described now is the feeling I got playing Skyrim. The joy of discovering new, barren areas for me in BOTW went away very quickly after leaving the plateau.

You also ended with: "That never happens in any of the other games you mention."
They absolutely happen in all the games I mentioned, for me. The joy of discovery never ceased in those games I mentioned. So how the hell can you proclaim otherwise, and at the same time cast subjectivity aside?

If you don't understand how subjectivity comes into play here, there's nothing I can do to help you see it.

You're basically saying that everyone should feel the same way you do about the game - and other games. What gives you the right of definition?

Edited by ifightdragons

21 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Literally everything you described now is the feeling I got playing Skyrim.

Have to add my voice to this. Skyrim (2011) was so full of quests and areas to explore that if anything, sometimes the player forgot there was a main story! Companions would follow you into battle, you could upgrade your horse, you had to defend this city from attack, you had to assassinate someone to join the guild, you could purchase and upgrade a house, you could... etc etc etc...

Now let's look at Breath of the Wild (2017) - I bet somewhere beyond the hill is a shrine. I bet I'll get a spirit orb. And find one of those things that give you a seed. Yay. The end.

I honestly think BOTW is a decent but very overrated game. Of course what you enjoy is subjective. But objectively, take a look at the statistics: Skyrim has 273 quests. BOTW has 76 side quests.

Of course in BOTW there was the "my chickens... find them" quest and in Skyrim there was the "mage and warrior bickering about exploring a dangerous barrow in the snowy steppes when you come along and they join you, and of course all goes not according to plan!" - SO, which of two quests sounds more interesting?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Have to add my voice to this. Skyrim (2011) was so full of quests and areas to explore that if anything, sometimes the player forgot there was a main story! Companions would follow you into battle, you could upgrade your horse, you had to defend this city from attack, you had to assassinate someone to join the guild, you could purchase and upgrade a house, you could... etc etc etc...

Now let's look at Breath of the Wild (2017) - I bet somewhere beyond the hill is a shrine. I bet I'll get a spirit orb. And find one of those things that give you a seed. Yay. The end.

I honestly think BOTW is a decent but very overrated game. Of course what you enjoy is subjective. But objectively, take a look at the statistics: Skyrim has 273 quests. BOTW has 76 side quests.

Of course in BOTW there was the "my chickens... find them" quest and in Skyrim there was the "mage and warrior bickering about exploring a dangerous barrow in the snowy steppes when you come along and they join you, and of course all goes not according to plan!" - SO, which of two quests sounds more interesting?

But Sumez has decided that we are wrong, so then I guess we must be wrong.

Hit the nail on the head, by the way.

2 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

You also ended with: "That never happens in any of the other games you mention."
They absolutely happen in all the games I mentioned, for me. The joy of discovery never ceased in those games I mentioned. So how the hell can you proclaim otherwise, and at the same time cast subjectivity aside?

I don't know. Your claim just sounds strange to me. Like we've been playing entirely games, honestly. 🙂

I have no investment in BOTW, or interest in defending it, it's just a game that I enjoyed. I was just talking about how the game is, though, not what my opinion on that was.

Edited by Sumez

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Skyrim has 273 quests. BOTW has 76 side quests.

I was talking about discoveries, exploration, the game world. Actual assets that you traverse.

Not metrics based on your interaction with NPCs, etc. Skyrim clearly wins out in that regard, it's just two entirely different games in that aspect.

Edited by Sumez

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I don't know. Your claim just sounds strange to me. Like we've been playing entirely games, honestly. 🙂

I have no investment in BOTW, or interest in defending it, it's just a game that I enjoyed. I was just talking about how the game is, though, not what my opinion on that was.

The difference is, I don't "claim" anything. I just stated my opinions, and was very forthcoming that I understand that others will feel otherwise, including you.

You, on the other hand, acted like you were holding the one true, objective interpretation. If you would like to - and I guess you don't - please re-read what I initially wrote, and then re-read your response. The fact that you outright deny that someone could hold a differing, subjective opinion to yours, is baffling. Are you really being serious?

If you don't see any dissonance there, so be it.

Edited by ifightdragons

16 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Is there a physical version of this?

Yes and it's currently on sale through the week at a few places for 50% off, Target being one of them in store, Amazon as well, so that means Best Buy will match that too if you ask and show it on your phone with a matching SKU which is easy.

I grabbed it yesterday, the game is so far quite interesting, not too insane on the puzzles where you get annoyed, still getting grips with the controls but I just unlocked this constellation map bit for a pair of wings and parked it as my battery hit 5%.  I'm liking it, getting more of a BOTW vibe off it than the overkill distract-a-thon overly sized bit that Skyrim is.  I'd put the controls more Zelda like but a little eh... in places so between it and Skyrim which is kinda stiff.

let's stay on topic, this game is worth not bitching about sumez and his strange argument against BOTW.  Get a mod, have them move that crap into a thread, and nitpick the hell out of both sides of it.

Editorials Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yes and it's currently on sale through the week at a few places for 50% off, Target being one of them in store, Amazon as well, so that means Best Buy will match that too if you ask and show it on your phone with a matching SKU which is easy.

I grabbed it yesterday, the game is so far quite interesting, not too insane on the puzzles where you get annoyed, still getting grips with the controls but I just unlocked this constellation map bit for a pair of wings and parked it as my battery hit 5%.  I'm liking it, getting more of a BOTW vibe off it than the overkill distract-a-thon overly sized bit that Skyrim is.  I'd put the controls more Zelda like but a little eh... in places so between it and Skyrim which is kinda stiff.

let's stay on topic, this game is worth not bitching about sumez and his strange argument against BOTW.  Get a mod, have them move that crap into a thread, and nitpick the hell out of both sides of it.

• Like 1