IGNORED

Immortals Fenyx Rising: New BOTW clone

Kguillemette

Anyone else really interested in this game? It looks like a really well done BOTW clone set in ancient Greek Mythology setting. Considering I am a Greek Mythology nerd and love BOTW, this game is a no Brainer for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzP5GYPT4XU

Edited by Kguillemette

I'd love if this is a BOTW clone, but I don't think there's any sign of them going that direction.

I think this will be very much alike all the other Ubisoft open world games (Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, etc.) with a basic sandbox world and a bunch of samey missions and challenge scenarios plotted across the map - except with a more colorful and appealing skin which is definitely a big plus in my book.

At best it'll be something more "RPG'ish", I'm getting serious "Kingdoms of Amalur" vibes from the trailers, and I wouldn't mind that at all either.

Edited by Sumez

The art style looks like a F2P mobile game 😑

If this is a BOTW clone then you have my interest.  If it is Ubisoft cookie cutter formula, that’s a hard pass.  With everything else coming out in the next month, I’ll wait for reviews on this one.

• Like 2

I dunno, looks very BOTWish to me, from the gliding, stamina meter, to climbing,band to the sound effect when ariving at a new place on the map. Even the combat looks similar with switching from the bow to a more melee type weapon. 

I've never played an Ubisoft open world game, so I can't comment on that. 

Maybe it's the type of game that only I would like? I grew up on an NES, so graphics really aren't all that important to me, as long as they fit the type of game it is. Personally, I rather like the more colorful cartoony art style compared to the hyper realistic styles of many of these modern games coming out.

Will it be as good as BOTW? Of course not! BOTW is in the conversation of GOAT games and arguably the absolute best game this gen. But will it be a solidly executed homage? It certainly looks like it!

Nintendo Life has a comparison video up looking at PS5 vs Switch versions. LoD and lighting is dialed way back, but it looks surprisingly similar. Of course, we will need to wait until release for true resolution and frame rate analysis to really make a detailed comparison.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/video_immortals_fenyx_rising_-_switch_vs_playstation_5_graphical_comparison

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can I ask what distinguishes an open world game as a “BOTW clone?” Or rather, what makes BOTW its own thing? I enjoyed BOTW but I didn’t see it as the groundbreaking milestone of gaming some others have. It was good but it was also similar to many open world games I’ve been playing since the late 2000s. I just sort of brushed it off as Nintendo-exclusive gamers getting a first taste of a great open world experience.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Can I ask what distinguishes an open world game as a “BOTW clone?” Or rather, what makes BOTW its own thing? I enjoyed BOTW but I didn’t see it as the groundbreaking milestone of gaming some others have. It was good but it was also similar to many open world games I’ve been playing since the late 2000s. I just sort of brushed it off as Nintendo-exclusive gamers getting a first taste of a great open world experience.

BOTW cribs more from the Ubisoft formula than people are willing to admit

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fox said:

BOTW cribs more from the Ubisoft formula than people are willing to admit

On the surface maybe (hur dur it has towers). But if you've spent more than a few hours with any of the more generic "ubisoft game" games, the difference is pretty obvious. BOTW has a lot more unique experiences scattered around the world, rather than having it just act as a generic playground for repeated missions randomly dotted across the map.

I wouldn't exactly say BOTW is wholly original, but it definitely leans a lot more towards games like Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3, etc. than something like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Far Cry.
And it definitely does the open world map thing better than any of the above.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Don't ask logical questions, because Zeldaphiles will threaten you...

w16h26yp1pwz.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

On the surface maybe (hur dur it has towers). But if you've spent more than a few hours with any of the more generic "ubisoft game" games, the difference is pretty obvious. BOTW has a lot more unique experiences scattered around the world, rather than having it just act as a generic playground for repeated missions randomly dotted across the map.

I wouldn't exactly say BOTW is wholly original, but it definitely leans a lot more towards games like Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3, etc. than something like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or Far Cry.
And it definitely does the open world map thing better than any of the above.

I think the last line is subjective, especially when comparing to Elder Scrolls and Witcher. I think I’ll do another run of BOTW to try and see it. I still think it’s a great game, I just fail to see what it does that is so vastly different from most open world games right now. The atmosphere is fun, I’ll give it that.

4 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I think the last line is subjective, especially when comparing to Elder Scrolls and Witcher.

Of course it's subjective, but I also think it's very clear cut. Witcher 3 already felt like a big improvement over all the repetition and just generally dull landscape that is Skyrim.

But BOTW really rocked the foundations of these kind of free roaming maps, partly thanks to the primary leading design philosophy being that anywhere you go, there will always be visible landmarks giving you a clear indication of where in the world you are without needing to resort to looking at a map.
How much that means to you is probably individual, but to me it makes a really massive difference. It makes the world feel like a real place, a location that my character is actually in, rather than just a coordinate on big field that serves little purpose outside of connecting a number of towns and dungeons. BOTW has the option to turn off your UI and map completely, and I kind of wish they'd forced that, and just designed the game entirely around making your way without a map, because I think they totally could have done that. Out of those three games, it's the only one that could even consider such a goal.

• Like 2

Remember how older magazines used to include a "Fun Factor" score? That's where BotW scores a 10 and that's why people love it. It is extraordinarily difficult to describe why it feels so much better than almost all other open world games, but it does. I'm playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla on Series X right now and it is a good game, but it contains none of the wonder of BotW. It has beautiful vistas, intricate cities, complicated upgrade mechanics, but it literally never surprises me. I never stumble upon a new area and just look around, considering how I could explore or what interesting secrets are hidden away. Instead, I go to the next area, look at the checklists, complete the story missions, read through the dialogue as fast as possible, then move to the next area and do it all again. Repeat ad nauseum for 60 hours. It's mostly fun, but it's never exciting.

So for me BotW is a 10/10, while Valhalla is a 7-8/10.

Also, anyone who says BotW is a perfect game is full of it. Breakable weapons suck, towers are derivative, four mediocre (by Zelda standards) dungeons is disappointing, "cooking" is a chore, enemy variety is weak, and the story is non-existent. But I played it for 100 hours or so and enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Anyways, in a life with infinite free time, I'd play this Immortals game. But reality pushes me to play a myriad of more interesting games first.

• Like 4

While BOTW has some interesting locales scattered around, it's basically a copy/paste job when it comes to enemy encampments, shrines and towers. It got old pretty quickly for me. Toss in mechanics I thought added more pain than fun; like the rain, lightning, cooking, and weapon durability, it became a game I just couldn't get into.

Not to mention the drawn out fights against overpowered HP sponges like the Lynels and certain guardian fights in the shrines, and there was little fun left.

I won't go over the incessant need to farm for some armour upgrades.

I know most will disagree, but to each their own 😯

• Like 1