IGNORED

POLL: Who do you expect will win? (NOT who do you want to win)

phart010

Who do you expect will win?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you expect will win?

• Donald John Trump
    • Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.

12 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

People in cities rely heavily on government services, and mingle daily with people of different religions, backgrounds, and sexual persuasions.  People in the country mostly want to be left alone and to shoot things, while mostly knowing other White Christian types.  I don't mean for any of that to be a put down either.

It's this way in most of the world, I'd reckon.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 8:59 PM, Richardhead said:

Ouch, Idaho was one of the places I’ve been considering leaving Colorado for.😬

Hold on, let me say something else about the matter. If I were to try to tabulate all the kind, generous, polite moments I’ve shared with Idaho Trump supporters I would have a 10 page wall of text. 

People are generally good—and that includes Trump voters.

Edited by attakid101
  • Like 5

I'm curious as to folks who in the poll in this thread are recently voting that they think Trump is going to win. Are you guys expecting Arizona or Nevada to flip to Trump last minute? Or that the slew of lawsuits and recounts that Trump will demand will make a difference? 

The odds are really long at this point that Trump will pull out the win.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I'm curious as to folks who in the poll in this thread are recently voting that they think Trump is going to win. Are you guys expecting Arizona or Nevada to flip to Trump last minute? Or that the slew of lawsuits and recounts that Trump will demand will make a difference? 

The odds are really long at this point that Trump will pull out the win.

I'm curious too, unfortunately I feel the same as you do on the matter regarding the odds of a Trump victory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Hold on, let me say something else about the matter. If I were to try to tabulate all the kind, generous, polite moments I’ve shared with Idaho Trump supporters I would have a 10 page wall of text. 

People are generally good—and that includes Trump voters.

I wish I shared your experience here in Tennessee.

• Like 1

The fact that Biden’s lead in overall vote count is measured in the MILLIONS but this being still such a tight race proves that the electoral college system is deeply, deeply flawed.

Another thing that’s sickening is the fact that we only have two viable parties.

I’m willing to bet that there are more people in America who want to smoke weed with their gay-married friends at the gun range then there are people who are hard anti-gay, or hard anti-gun...yet only the Libertarian party represents those people and NOONE votes for them.

wtf.

(ps don’t smoke weed at the gun range...I don’t want to clean up blood off the shooters booth just because you were messed up....don’t drink either, even though some ranges offer alcohol....and STOP throwing brass in the trash....it’s how I get paid and I don’t enjoy digging it out)

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 4

I always thought the electoral college existed to protect the voice of states from majority rule, an overlooked principle of democracy. Much like senate representation. Maybe I need a bit of a refresher on why it's theoretically flawed in modern times. Maybe small states don't seem to reflect minorities who need rights anymore? Minority rights are more than a geographical problem? Oh the things I don't know.

14 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

The fact that Biden’s lead in overall vote count is measured in the MILLIONS but this being still such a tight race proves that the electoral college system is deeply, deeply flawed.

Another thing that’s sickening is the fact that we only have two viable parties.

I’m willing to bet that there are more people in America who want to smoke weed with their gay-married friends at the gun range then there are people who are hard anti-gay, or hard anti-gun...yet only the Libertarian party represents those people and NOONE votes for them.

wtf.

(ps don’t smoke weed at the gun range...I don’t want to clean up blood off the shooters booth just because you were messed up....don’t drink either, even though some ranges offer alcohol....and STOP throwing brass in the trash....it’s how I get paid and I don’t enjoy digging it out)

Yeah, I feel we need better political parties.

As it's set up currently, most people I know (myself included) vote based on the one item that concerns them the most, everything else be damned.

Harder stance on China? I vote Trump. Gay? Vote Biden. Hate abortions on religious grounds? Don't vote Democrat. Pro choice? Vote Democrat.

2 minutes ago, Optomon said:

I always thought the electoral college existed to protect the voice of states from majority rule, an overlooked principle of democracy. Much like senate representation. Maybe I need a bit of a refresher on why it's theoretically flawed in modern times. Maybe small states don't seem to reflect minorities who need rights anymore? Minority rights are more than a geographical problem? Oh the things I don't know.

The bigger issue with the electoral college is the all-or-nothing nature of how most states handle it.  (it is up to the states how their electors vote)

It basically guarantees that only the two dominant parties can field a candidate that can actually win, and puts a lot of people in the situation of their vote "not counting" in the sense of their state majority.  And when you look at how close many states are, there is a decent case for saying that electors should split based on the ratio within the state.  You avoid the situation of california, texas, and NY muting everyone else (in the popular vote), but give more people a clearer voice.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Optomon said:

In grade school they told us we had the house to be responsive to the people and the senate who wouldn't have to respond as quickly to the peoples needs so they could take a longer term approach to ruling.

That is what they told us in grade school and it is nonsense. The constitution was set up for the ruling elite to control power. The point of a democracy is for the people to have a choice that is represented by their vote. Senators are undemocratic. The electoral college is undemocratic. The supreme court is undemocratic. 

We can tell we are in an undemocratic system because a majority of Americans want things like single payer healthcare and tonget out of these pointless wars and it doesn't get done.

Edited by Californication

35 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

As it's set up currently, most people I know (myself included) vote based on the one item that concerns them the most, everything else be damned.

Harder stance on China? I vote Trump. Gay? Vote Biden. Hate abortions on religious grounds? Don't vote Democrat. Pro choice? Vote Democrat.

I think the bigger problem is that neither party wants to address the economic well being of the majority of the population. And both parties obscure the fact that they aren't doing anything by using identity politics and wedge issues. 

For example Nancy Pelosi could have attempted to pass a stimulus bill and she thought not giving Trump a "win" was more important. If Joe Biden gets the presidency McConnel is not going to let anything useful go for a vote in the Senate because he doesn't want to give the dems. a win.

And the problem is most Americans can't see where the politicians are hiding the ball. They are either too busy, too tired, or too stupid to see who their enemies are.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Californication said:

If Joe Biden gets the presidency McConnel is not going to let anything useful go for a vote in the Senate because he doesn't want to give the dems. a win.

This is what people (both sides) don’t seem to realize. The Senate majority is more important than the presidency when it comes to getting your agenda passed (which is why the cheating accusations are bullshit because if Dems were cheating then McConnell would have been looooong gone).

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Ah yes.  The true swamp.  The two party system.

To truly begin draining the swamp, we'd need congress to pass sweeping reform of itself.  Single six and four year terms.  Reduced income and possibly forfeiture of assets.  Campaign and lobby reform. 

Make the office a public service.  One that leaves you a poor public servant, unconcerned with reelection, or beholden to anyone.

Of course that will never happen because those people control their own fate, so the system is corrupt as fuck.

• Like 3