IGNORED

What is your end game? Room, store, museum or world domination?

GPX

End target  

66 members have voted

1. 1. When will you stop?

• Shelf-full
    • Several shelves filled
    • Room-full
    • House-full
    • Warehouse proportions
    • Museum (similar to Warehouse but more rarer stuff)
    • World domination (Guinness levels)
    • Undecided
    • I’ll stop when the partner cracks a hissyfit

On 11/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm good with a shelf full. I try to go with a quality over quantity approach.

I have a full room and I am trying to get back to this. Maybe two shelves with my favourite games but I definitely have to continue to downsize. I would say the same 50 games take up about 95 percent of my vintage gaming time. 

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Makar said:

Another great piece. Man before you know it everyone's avatars on the site will be your drawings lol

Haha I feel like I'm unintentionally feeding a trend here. I've done a few double-takes at the Casual icons these past few weeks... it's kinda neat.

-CasualCart

1748519348_AvatarTrend.jpg.5d02a23c3a2cad5750beefe2eaa30324.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Graphics Team · Posted

But back on topic - my collecting goals are more focused on specific games rather than volume / quantity.
I'd like to have every NES game that peaks my interest, as well as staples and some unique titles for Atari 2600, SNES/SFC, Famicom, GameBoy, and Genesis.

It will probably amount to several shelves of games. Like @Dr. Morbis said - I just want a big, functional library of classic games ready to play.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I remember when I decided to collect Game Boy games. I researched some of the fringe items and planted my feet firmly at "licensed, USA-released loose gray (non-GBC) carts." I'd get rid of anything else I happened to end up with. Then I started NOT getting rid of things like manuals, label variants, PAL-region exclusives, Game Gear games, and I re-planted my feet FIRMLY at slightly larger-scope collections, over and over, until now I'm basically collecting everything from the 4th/5th generation of handhelds (as Wikipedia labels them.) But HANDHELDS ONLY!! FIRM!! I have consoles but I'm not going for fullsets there. The pipe dream is to collect fullsets for all those handhelds.

Here's the problem: I picked up a Sega Nomad and a TurboExpress, and while shopping for games, I sort of realized that there's no such thing as a Nomad game or a TurboExpress game. What do I do here?? Full-on collect for these home consoles???

So yeah, I picked the "hissyfit" option.

Events Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Haha I feel like I'm unintentionally feeding a trend here. I've done a few double-takes at the Casual icons these past few weeks... it's kinda neat.

-CasualCart

1748519348_AvatarTrend.jpg.5d02a23c3a2cad5750beefe2eaa30324.jpg

Looks like you might need a stronger prescription if you're needing to squint that hard, hahaha

I will continue my adventure of trying to complete as many NTSC libraries across all systems as possible, and when I did have a brick n mortar, it was a very bad situation I was in, and I moved towards online sales 100% quickly, the idea of having another brick n mortar is always in the back of my head.

If I'm going to be honest here, I'm feeling fatigue with collecting. I feel at odds with myself when I buy games because as much as I hate to admit, my passion for collecting is cooling. I don't know if it's that I'm getting older or if my priorities and wants out of life are changing, but I'm trying not to collect just to collect. Recently, I've bought a few rare games and I think it's because I want to buy them while I still care and simultaneously that they're the only games remaining that I care about.

Gone are the days of wanting a complete official NTSC NES library. That goal's out of reach for many of us now, but more realistic full library goals would be for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn. I have many of the most expensive games knocked out of the way for those two consoles so finishing off their libraries isn't entirely out of reach. Will I care a few years from now? I don't know and it makes me sad because these old games were such an integral part of my life and my coming of age, but I'm happier now. I feel I may not need them as much as I needed them before.

I've been at odds with myself this entire pandemic over my collecting habits and if retro game collecting is as important to me as it once was. I don't have friends to share my collection with anymore who shared the same experiences that I had with them. But to answer OP's question: My game collecting stops with my one or two rooms. I don't want too much more that would take up an entire basement or anything and I'm realistically almost there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

If I'm going to be honest here, I'm feeling fatigue with collecting. I feel at odds with myself when I buy games because as much as I hate to admit, my passion for collecting is cooling. I don't know if it's that I'm getting older or if my priorities and wants out of life are changing, but I'm trying not to collect just to collect. Recently, I've bought a few rare games and I think it's because I want to buy them while I still care and simultaneously that they're the only games remaining that I care about.

Gone are the days of wanting a complete official NTSC NES library. That goal's out of reach for many of us now, but more realistic full library goals would be for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn. I have many of the most expensive games knocked out of the way for those two consoles so finishing off their libraries isn't entirely out of reach. Will I care a few years from now? I don't know and it makes me sad because these old games were such an integral part of my life and my coming of age, but I'm happier now. I feel I may not need them as much as I needed them before.

I've been at odds with myself this entire pandemic over my collecting habits and if retro game collecting is as important to me as it once was. I don't have friends to share my collection with anymore who shared the same experiences that I had with them. But to answer OP's question: My game collecting stops with my one or two rooms. I don't want too much more that would take up an entire basement or anything and I'm realistically almost there.

I'm on a collecting hiatus right now and I love it. Just picking up new games to play when I feel like playing them and not even looking at eBay does wonders for the soul. I'm working on Star Wars Squadrons, Paper Mario Origami King, and (soon) AC: Valhalla. Classic stuff and collecting is great, but I also love immersing myself in new games every now and then.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...