IGNORED

Broken Gameboys...What would you pay?

Tekdrudge

A friend of mine has an really dirty original Gameboy with a broken screen and a Gameboy color in better physical shape but no sound and the buttons do not respond. He said he knows they are not worth much, but was wondering what I thought a fair price was for them. Is offering him $10 for both a lowball offer? He is a very good friend and I really want to be fair in the deal. Most people wouldn't buy them but I refurbish old consoles and want to get to learning how to do it on handhelds.

What do you all think?

IMG_20201029_164327142.jpg

I don't know. If/when I feel like I want a project, maybe $10-15 for a lot like that is what I might pay. Maybe the repair is easy, or maybe it isn't. It's a gamble, so it's what you are comfortable offering and what he feels is fair receiving.

The GBC is probably repairable with just a good cleaning and maybe an easy resolder, so maybe $20 is fairer. I'd offer him the $10 and if he says it's to low, just ask what he feels is fair.

I tend not to pay more than $10 a piece (for GBAs), so 5-7 for GB/GBC is probably fair and realistic. Repairs are usually pretty straightforward if you've got the time and equipment, but the cost of parts to recondition a unit can really start to add up, so time + tools + base unit + parts probably puts your offer on point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renmauzo said:

I tend not to pay more than $10 a piece (for GBAs), so 5-7 for GB/GBC is probably fair and realistic. Repairs are usually pretty straightforward if you've got the time and equipment, but the cost of parts to recondition a unit can really start to add up, so time + tools + base unit + parts probably puts your offer on point.

This, exactly.  That GB might just need a good cleaning, and a pad resoldered, and the board ribbon reset.  All free.  Or, the screen could could be bad and then you need to canibalize one or buy a new one from a modding store.  Either way, you need more hardware and the new boards can go up in price.  They aren't super-expensive but still, it could escalate to a $30-40 project, maybe more depending on shipping costs.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

10 could be a steal or a wast.  what is serial on back of them?   where are they from?  did they have a story?

example is it possible the OGB is a KOR in disguised. so 10 is a steal.  is the GBC from a sewing set?  knowing what the back ground will help set the price. 

if you don't care to know the back story, then what are you doing with them.

if you plan on doing the IPS then 10 is too much. the conversion is will over 60 and they retail for $110. by time you pay shipping and tax, listing fees and shipping you make 2 to 3 dollars for 2-10 hours work not worth the time. 

if you are just experimenting then go for it. 

On 10/29/2020 at 5:50 PM, Tekdrudge said:

A friend of mine has an really dirty original Gameboy with a broken screen and a Gameboy color in better physical shape but no sound and the buttons do not respond. He said he knows they are not worth much, but was wondering what I thought a fair price was for them. Is offering him $10 for both a lowball offer? He is a very good friend and I really want to be fair in the deal. Most people wouldn't buy them but I refurbish old consoles and want to get to learning how to do it on handhelds.

What do you all think?

IMG_20201029_164327142.jpg

Did your friend ever sell them or you for him?  I'm currently looking for more Gameboy projects to beef up and rehab.  I could see both as some fun total tear downs, mostly just keep the pads, maybe buttons, and the boards for them.  New screens, glass lenses, maybe some nice custom color shells.  Fun stuff to waste a bit of time on.

• 4 months later...

I eventually bought them from him for $10 and a Monster energy drink. A few weeks later he found another game boy color (Lime Green) and just gave it to me for free.

The story behind them is that they once belonged to his wife and her siblings and they used them as kids. His mother in-law had a few boxes of all of their stuff when they were kids and and ask his wife take the boxes. His wife thought about just throwing them out. He stopped her and was happy to get $10 for them.

I'm still working on fixing them, and they seem very promising. I'll let you know all know what happens and post photos when I finish.

• Like 1

Please do, curious to see what direction you go with them.  Given the recent stupidity of pricing on Gameboy stuff vs the date on your old posts, that $10 is a steal now, big one, even if it were $10 a system it would be.  As long as the main boards in them work, buying the appropriate kits to refresh and modernize them they're really fun and/or worth quite a bit.

• Like 1

5 is actually a steal, too low, even 10 is down a bit and I know this from shopping the things to do refurbs.  If one is intact but dead, even in the worst case, you can salvage the shell, contact pads, buttons, speaker, phones jack, various other bits worth far more as replacement backup parts.

At this point, I have working versions of all the Nintendo portables, so I don't really need any more working models.  I love to collect display pieces, so as long as the model/color is something I don't have, I would easily pay $10 for a non working unit assuming it can be displayed or cleaned up easily enough to be displayed.  I'm all for restoring back to working order, but I don't have time for projects like that at the moment.