IGNORED

How to give a way a high value game?

JVOSS

Good Day All,

So recently i was challenged to find a way to give a high priced game away for free.  The rules are simple.  Come up with an unique idea that will allow the most people to participate in a contest and the winner would receive this game. However they are not allowed to know what the games title was.  I first thought of a lottery but that was very lame, then I thought of a high score contest but so 1980's.  Maybe a scavenger hunt but there again 1980's.

I asking all of you to help with this process.  the following is what is see are hurdles or difficult to administer.

1) visibility must be highly visible (should be drawing in people from other areas)
2) participation must be high over 50
3) Time frame - not to short and not to long as people may get board.
3) Must be game related (no not the one given away)
4) who will oversee..

Finally as this may be categorized as gambling the the rules of 21 and over (US regulations) need to be (only) considered, as the value is over $200. 

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Giving a couple of clues to what the prize is might get some more people on board.

It would be neat to do some huge bracket tournament where every matchup decides between themselves how they want to decide a winner. They'd PM each other and decide on a Glover speedrun contest, or hide balloons for each other in Luigi's Balloon World, or Genesis trivia contest, or maybe they want to play Name That Tune with NES title screens, or something else, I don't know, we'd need a list of things to choose from. Then a team of showrunners would craft the specific competitions for each matchup and winners would face each other in the bracket.

It would take forever and it would be an absolute logistical nightmare, but I think it would be really fun to read through, see what everyone picked, and watch it all progress. Everyone would pick something they think they'd win, but someone still has to lose. It would be great TV.

• Like 1

According to the laws of gambling and lotteries, you must:

• obtain a license from your local state
  • provide the odds of winning prior to entry
  • allow entry without purchase
  • provide the exact value of the item to be won

Continuing without these prerequisites can result in both you and the forum being fined.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

According to the laws of gambling and lotteries, you must:

• obtain a license from your local state
  • provide the odds of winning prior to entry
  • allow entry without purchase
  • provide the exact value of the item to be won

Continuing without these prerequisites can result in both you and the forum being fined.

Not a lawyer but I don't think that applies here since this would be free:

"A giveaway is considered a lottery when: the giveaway offers one or more prizes of value, the winners of the giveaway are chosen at random, and. the entry requires a payment of money or other consideration."

• Like 1

What about something where you have a weighted lottery? 

As an example, you could have, say, 1-3 contests. Something like best new name for a well known character, favorite video game boss and why, favorite gaming memory. Then the judge grades the answers A, B, C, D, or E. A gets you 5 lottery tickets, B gets you 4, C gets you 3, and so on. This way everyone can participate, it's free, you don't have to have a specific system, you don't need to be a god at whatever game is presented, you don't need to be artistic, etc. Anyone could compete in something like this but it'd be a bit more fun than just a normal lottery. 

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Not a lawyer but I don't think that applies here since this would be free:

"A giveaway is considered a lottery when: the giveaway offers one or more prizes of value, the winners of the giveaway are chosen at random, and. the entry requires a payment of money or other consideration."

You're right but I was basing it on you stating the rules for being 21 applied due to gambling. This wouldn't require that.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Something that eliminates the pool of candidates one by one.  In humiliating fashion.

Like The Bachelor...er, so I hear

@Reed Rothchild,  your the new host of High Dollar Bachelorette.  getting to know your contestant Miss Game Unamed.

Where anyone can be married to Miss Game Unamed.  Miss Game Unamed,  this vibrant, very active, 26 young is looking for someone that is just as active as her.  Miss Unamed is from Sunny California but loves to travel round.  She recently celebrated or 26th birthday with her close friends Mario.  Lately she as been a little gray as most of her friends move to Switch, California where they party all the time.  would you like to marry Miss Unamed?  

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

no it was never received 😢 stupid usps

Aww still?? I've actually never had anything get legitimately lost in the mail, just delayed. But there you have it. ☹️

Plot twist: there was never a prize, because that would have made it illegal.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

how did the last Survivor work? 

Everyone signed up, knowing that the whole point of the game was to whittle everyone down to one sole survivor, over the course of a few weeks of games/events/backstabbings. We all signed up because we knew it would be fun, but we all knew there was a prize for the winner. The prize was never specified, valued, hinted at with a bachelorette blurb, etc.

5 hours ago, Splain said:

Everyone signed up, knowing that the whole point of the game was to whittle everyone down to one sole survivor, over the course of a few weeks of games/events/backstabbings. We all signed up because we knew it would be fun, but we all knew there was a prize for the winner. The prize was never specified, valued, hinted at with a bachelorette blurb, etc.

I didn't catch it.  What did the price end up being... or what was it going to be, if it'd been received?

Thanks all for the data and inputs just so you have a background.  mid year i was challenged by a close friend to "giveaway" x amount of monies in any form.  in return i will get x.  (sure sounds like a move)  :classic_cool:

So all thing considered i like the "Sole Survivor" or a bracket game like March madness ideal.

how many would be in for this?? it has to be finished by Dec 1, 2020?

@Gloves, is OK to do this here? i don't want to get in the way of the events here or fun.

Edited by JVOSS