IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

It happened: a seller on ebay cancelled on me because he wasn't happy with the price he got. And it's not like it went outrageously low either. Won a nice lot with a 3DO console and some games for $200ish dollars + overpriced shipping and the auction actually ended under my max bid, albeit not by much.

I'm so pissed at this. I don't know what the seller's expectations were, but clearly if my max bid wasn't even met there's no basis for thinking the lot should have sold for double the price or something. Plus it's not like I won the listing for some crazy low price like $50.

The seller cancelled the order with a "defective/does not work" thing, but he messaged me actually saying it was because of the price. I wrote ebay but I don't expect much lol. Rant over.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg

Can I use this thread to complain about something I’ve seen lately in local game stores? I didn’t want to start a new thread. And again, someone feel free to tell me if I’m the one being unreasonable in this scenario.

I love local game stores and will always go out of my way to support them. I have a great relationship with my favorite local one and luckily they don’t do what I’m about to piss and moan about. 

I understand that condition is a major factor in collecting. Not everything I own is mint. But lately I’ve noticed this flippant, bothered sounding, car salesman like tactic when trading in games to some local shops that has started to annoy me. They’ll look over my items and note any and all condition issues and tell me how the trade credit will be waaay less and act like they’re doing me a huge favor by even taking the item. Look, I get it. I didn’t come in expecting the moon. But I don’t need an itemized list nor a thesis of the things wrong with it. A simple “Hey, you may get less than this because of condition” is fine, fair, and understandable. Don’t sound bothered that I’ve brought you product.

And for the record, I’m not trading in scratched discs or label torn carts. I’m talking normal, non-mint box wear or maybe crack or two in a Saturn/PS1 case that I’m getting these earfuls about.

It’s especially annoying when the same stores that give me these lectures are selling less than mint copies of games for “mint on eBay” prices.

Rant over.

• Like 2

That's the same tactics care dealerships use to devalue vehicles that people might want to trade in.  They'll go over every little detail trying to get them to trade it for next to nothing.  They won't just outright low ball you because then you might just pick up and leave, so they play that game where they point out every little defect.  It's basically emotion manipulation.

7 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Can I use this thread to complain about something I’ve seen lately in local game stores? I didn’t want to start a new thread. And again, someone feel free to tell me if I’m the one being unreasonable in this scenario.

I love local game stores and will always go out of my way to support them. I have a great relationship with my favorite local one and luckily they don’t do what I’m about to piss and moan about. 

I understand that condition is a major factor in collecting. Not everything I own is mint. But lately I’ve noticed this flippant, bothered sounding, car salesman like tactic when trading in games to some local shops that has started to annoy me. They’ll look over my items and note any and all condition issues and tell me how the trade credit will be waaay less and act like they’re doing me a huge favor by even taking the item. Look, I get it. I didn’t come in expecting the moon. But I don’t need an itemized list nor a thesis of the things wrong with it. A simple “Hey, you may get less than this because of condition” is fine, fair, and understandable. Don’t sound bothered that I’ve brought you product.

And for the record, I’m not trading in scratched discs or label torn carts. I’m talking normal, non-mint box wear or maybe crack or two in a Saturn/PS1 case that I’m getting these earfuls about.

It’s especially annoying when the same stores that give me these lectures are selling less than mint copies of games for “mint on eBay” prices.

Rant over.

Hit the nail on the head with that last point there. It's frustrating to see game stores sell crap conditioned CIBs for the same price as one in very good shape.

4 hours ago, CMR said:

That's the same tactics care dealerships use to devalue vehicles that people might want to trade in.  They'll go over every little detail trying to get them to trade it for next to nothing.  They won't just outright low ball you because then you might just pick up and leave, so they play that game where they point out every little defect.  It's basically emotion manipulation.

Cars salesmen are pretty funny these days. When you're buying they sit there and tell you that the car is amazing and reliable and then as soon as you agree to purchase they change their tune trying to up sell you extended warranties telling you that you can never be too safe and that 'things can happen' . So which is it? Is the car great or are the tires gonna fall off when I leave the lot.

On 11/18/2019 at 9:03 PM, CMR said:

Santa got lucky with the dealership I've bought from.   Got about $1500 MORE in trade than what I was expecting.   I even pointed out a couple non-obvious things and the salesperson was like "meh, we have people that'll take care of that".

Polar opposite- my Mom went to trade in her relatively clean van several years ago.   Clean trade was about 5 grand.   They offered her 600 bucks.   I left coal in those mofos stockings that year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you all are used to this on ebay, but I've somehow dodged an uptight bullet like this for quite a long time.  This was for a $15 listing for Super Mario 64 DS (complete) which I took one image of, folded open case with the game and inserts laid out in front of it.  This seems a bit picky and looks like a dumpster fire in waiting.  I'd get this for a $50 or a $500 game, but something that cheap being that picky wanting pictures of all sides with some really excellent lighting.  Sorry I'm not a business, don't have professional lighting equipment or a real camera either (iphone 8plus here) so I just ignored the question and blocked the dude.  I get a bad vibe like someone looking to complain to get a freebie or a solid discount after the fact because the price is low enough not to want to ship it back eating those costs.  Paranoia or playing it safe?

Hello! I'm very interested in this item. Would you please send a picture of the reverse side of the cartridge and different angles of the front and back of the cover art to reduce shadows? Thank you! 🙂

- fklertoh

Why the fuck do people charge 14.95 for first class shipping on a single game?

-do They assume People only care about actual price, not total price?

- are they just trying to gouge every last cent?

-do they think nobody knows actual shipping costs?

I dont understand. Free shipping all day everyday baby. 

• Like 1

i can't tell you how many times I've hit that repeatedly when I've been poking about for some specific Virtual Boy and DOS PC stuff throughout this year where it just was more common.  I mean people did it, but it seemed to be back more this year like some fools felt the FVF they imposed on all of us using that tactic vanished.  I know if you flat rate stuff due to the new zone shipping you can come out largely ahead making a few bucks on shipping even after the fees, but how many just don't care that the shipping is obviously bloated?  It's just nuts.

I think the worst thing that's happened was when I bought a game CIB on Ebay that was listed as "Like New."  The pictures looked like it was but, what I received, was anything but!  It wasn't even acceptable.  I contacted the seller who, thankfully, did not argue and just gave my money back.  I guess they didn't actually have the game in the condition listed either to get me a replacement. 

For GameStop, I ordered a game for my PS4 that was supposed to be new at their online store for a local store pick up.  When I got the the store, they only had an OPENED copy of the game.  The plastic case was all damaged also!  I made the guy in the store find me a new one at another store, which he was able to do, thankfully.  I had to drive a bit to get it, but I manged to get it new.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

@TrekMD Whenever an item is listed as "like new", I read it as the seller saying, "This item is guaranteed to be not as described, and I would love to give you a partial refund once it arrives!"

Got that right more and more as the years tick by towards present.  Early this year I basically all but retired ever touching that because it's a trap for crooks.  Unless the game was bought by me new and sealed, and nothing has happened to any piece of it that would be anything less than how I unwrapped the seal on it, it goes to very good or good status.  Even in the description I'll even say the item as you can see in the picture(s) looks nearly spotless, but I don't trust people so I listed it lower, in some specific cases.  There's just way too much scamming and ebay just wants to get paid, so they really don't care unless the buyer is pleased which just is what it is now.

@Tanooki At this point, I just list everything as "acceptable" to avoid any problems.  Anything of moderate value should have good pictures and a verbal description of flaws anyway, so except for "brand new" on sealed items, the condition choices don't add much benefit to the seller (and often harm them instead), imho.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, MrWunderful said:

This reminds me of one of my first ebay purchases a very long time ago.  Thought I snagged a deal for a keyboard of all things for 99 cents, then after winning the bid, I realized it was $17.95 shipping or something (lesson learned quick!).

On 12/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, ProtonX said:

Got dinged with a negative feedback because the import fees through the global shipping program were to high after the buyer received the item. 1st negative in a couple of years- but still frustrating as I have no impact on those costs.

That's strange since they pay for that up front. They would have known as soon as they purchased if it was through GSP as it would have been added to the total at checkout.

I almost gave a negative for slow shipping for something I bought a few months ago that got held up through the GSP but I realized that it wasn't the sellers fault. GSP is also shit because once it hits the border there is no way to track it even though they give you a tracking number. I know I'm a broken record but god damn that program it so terrible.

I recently made an offer for a chess/backgammon set that had not sold for 3 listings.   The seller had listed a price of $11.78 which I had no problem with - but I just wanted the chess set - it is a relatively cheap set (i have one like it) that is actually pretty nice if you weight it.  I just wanted reduced shipping since I did not want the case, board and backgammon set.

Out of the blue they decided it was made of bakelite (which it most certainly is not) and relisted it for $150 or thereabouts.   Like it will sell at that price where it didn't at $11.78.  They did message me a week later and offer to reduce it to $50 just for me.

Go figure..........

I'm taking another crack at GameStop's retro stuff since some items still have very favorable prices, assuming they are real.

First order was "delivered" but I never saw it. Unlikely it was stolen, I'm just assuming ups screwed it up. Refund pending.

Second order has not moved out of "processing" after 10+ days. It's currently available to buy on the site, like I could go order it again. This is still retro, and a rare item at that so they shouldn't have a bunch. Going to have to call back and prod them tonight.

The interesting thing about the second one is it's not listed on the site. Like it doesn't show in the console category and you can't search it. But if you have the direct url to the product page you can go there and order it if it's available. There are a ton of high dollar games like that, and a bunch or dirt cheap commons too for whatever reason. I just assume they have no idea what they're doing.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Lincoln said:

I'm taking another crack at GameStop's retro stuff since some items still have very favorable prices, assuming they are real.

First order was "delivered" but I never saw it. Unlikely it was stolen, I'm just assuming ups screwed it up. Refund pending.

Second order has not moved out of "processing" after 10+ days. It's currently available to buy on the site, like I could go order it again. This is still retro, and a rare item at that so they shouldn't have a bunch. Going to have to call back and prod them tonight.

The interesting thing about the second one is it's not listed on the site. Like it doesn't show in the console category and you can't search it. But if you have the direct url to the product page you can go there and order it if it's available. There are a ton of high dollar games like that, and a bunch or dirt cheap commons too for whatever reason. I just assume they have no idea what they're doing.

Yeah the list gets very confusing. They really need to up the site and show games that are available only. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, ProtonX said:

Got dinged with a negative feedback because the import fees through the global shipping program were to high after the buyer received the item. 1st negative in a couple of years- but still frustrating as I have no impact on those costs.

Have you given Ebay a call about the negative feedback? It should be removed cause import fees has nothing to do with you as the seller. Sellers have no control over that. It's the buyers responsibility to know the import fees.

On 11/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, MrWunderful said:

I swear this is a true story.  Not a year ago I had a discussion on Facebook in one of the gaming groups where someone claimed they would never buy something that didn't have free shipping, even if the item with free shipping cost more than the other item with a shipping charge.  He claimed it was "the principle of the thing."  I don't care what anyone charges for shipping.  I just look at the grand total, and if it's within my price range, I buy it.  

7 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Random eBay user with zero feedback messaged me. Claims they bought an item I sold and asked me to change the shipping address.  They are not the buyer I just mailed to. 

This some new scam floating around?

Wow. The sad part is that some mom in Montana will absolutely fall for this.

On 12/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, TDIRunner said:

I swear this is a true story.  Not a year ago I had a discussion on Facebook in one of the gaming groups where someone claimed they would never buy something that didn't have free shipping, even if the item with free shipping cost more than the other item with a shipping charge.  He claimed it was "the principle of the thing."  I don't care what anyone charges for shipping.  I just look at the grand total, and if it's within my price range, I buy it.  

My dad and I both do a lot of buying and selling through eBay. He gives me hell for always offering free shipping on mine. I told him there’s a psychology to it. People love free shipping. Something about it makes them gravitate towards the item, even if it’s priced higher than the others. I’ve seen people who sell on eBay for a living say this too. 

I still try to offer my stuff on eBay at a deal even with the free shipping, but once I started offering free shipping my stuff started flying off the (virtual) shelf.