IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I didn't think Paypal/ebay released the shipping address to you until the eCheck cleared anyway?

Apparently at least from my situation now, they do. When you go to ship the item out, everything is normal and you can even purchase a label. The only difference though is they do add a box at the top stating the payment has not been made and to not ship the item out yet, which is what I showed the buyer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 1.02.09 AM.png

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

So I got a 2nd chance offer and I accepted and paid. This morning I woke up and saw the game was relisted for auction? So I messaged the seller to see what they say. Not sure how to handle the situation tbh. The seller has over 2k feedback too. 

What game was it?   Maybe they have several?

Has anyone had any dealings with eBay seller kenko2? I bought a game from them early this week and it still hasn’t shipped. I understand there was the holiday and I normally wouldn’t even ask this sort of thing, but I checked their feedback out of curiosity and sure enough others have complained that they never shipped the game.

I stopped ordering used games from GameStop because they usually come disc or cart only without any case. I honestly didn't think I would have this issue with new games, so ordered a bunch of games for Black Friday, all listed as NEW. The first one came today and it's used.

I typically defend GameStop, but it's getting harder and harder to do that these days.

22 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I stopped ordering used games from GameStop because they usually come disc or cart only without any case. I honestly didn't think I would have this issue with new games, so ordered a bunch of games for Black Friday, all listed as NEW. The first one came today and it's used.

I typically defend GameStop, but it's getting harder and harder to do that these days.

Was it used or their definition of "New" (gutted and put back in the case)?

Their customer service is non-existent too.  Had a package that had ripped open, so FedEx wouldn't deliver it since it was an empty envelope.   FedEx told me to have Gamestop open a claim and I could get a refund; you can guess how far I got with that on Gamestop's end.

32 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Their customer service is non-existent too.  Had a package that had ripped open, so FedEx wouldn't deliver it since it was an empty envelope.   FedEx told me to have Gamestop open a claim and I could get a refund; you can guess how far I got with that on Gamestop's end.

The thing is, it's impossible to tell.  They put that clear sticker on the case that has to be broken to open it so I guess it fits their definition of "new" despite the fact that it doesn't anyone else's definition of "new."  The good thing is that since my order didn't have any type of buy something get something, I should be able to return whichever individual games get sent this way.  

I thought I was going to be able to avoid this crap by ordering online because I thought they would get shipped out from some distribution center, but it looks like the individual stores ship them out from their locations, so I end up with the same shenanigans that I get from the store.  Since I'm still waiting on the rest of my order, I'm curious how many will actually be new.  

On 11/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, I haven't ordered from them anymore because of this. So many times I'd get "new" games in preowned condition with a sticker over the edge. Just a ridiculous practice.

I'm glad that I've been working from home this year because we have had two very expensive packages arrive at our house this week in their their normal packaging box instead of a brown shipping box.  Both of these items were high dollar and high theft items and they were completely recognizable from the street.  Luckily, neither was outside long before I picked them up since I was home anyway.  I'm in a good neighborhood, and wouldn't expect anyone to take a box off my porch, but it still isn't worth the risk.  One package was from Home Depot, and the other was from Wal-Mart.  I can't say about Wal-Mart since my wife made the order, but I know for sure that I did not have an option to select a brown shipping box when I made my order from Home Depot.  The funny thing is that the next day I received my other order from Home Depot which was also an expensive/high theft item, but it was shipped in a brown box.  

Yay ebay! Had a guy cancel a sale a week after I paid, I slap em with negative feedback because I know this game all too well (it was a good deal and the seller knew they could get more).

They respond with a revise feedback request a few days later asking for neutral, I decline, feedback is accurate stating that they held my money for a week with no communication. They message me some BS about how shipping it is too expensive, blah blah blah.

A few more days, tail between their legs try and sell it to me at the price I won it at like I am blackmailing them with the feedback. Hell no. You know what you did, no time for games like this. No way would I do business with ya after that. So that's a new one for me, always a new surprise with ebay.

I have noticed an uptick in people not reading descriptions. Sometimes they don’t even get through the whole title before purchasing. I think it’s because COVID led a bunch of new users to sites like eBay because they just NEED to buy in order to survive.

Had one item that said “Xbox ONE console ONLY - *BROKEN*”

Then went into full details of what was wrong with it in the description.

I received one message that asked if everything functioned properly.

Then had 2 different buyers buy it then ask for a cancellation.

Luckily no one asked for a return once it finally sold and shipped.

I just wish more people felt shame or embarrassment for being so stupid. Instead they just carry on with life...leaving a wake of strangers rolling their eyes behind them.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:36 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

How did you pay? If by credit card it should be a slam dunk to get a refund from them rather than Gamestop with the communication from FedEx.  

On 12/4/2020 at 4:15 PM, drxandy said:

Yay ebay! Had a guy cancel a sale a week after I paid, I slap em with negative feedback because I know this game all too well (it was a good deal and the seller knew they could get more).

They respond with a revise feedback request a few days later asking for neutral, I decline, feedback is accurate stating that they held my money for a week with no communication. They message me some BS about how shipping it is too expensive, blah blah blah.

A few more days, tail between their legs try and sell it to me at the price I won it at like I am blackmailing them with the feedback. Hell no. You know what you did, no time for games like this. No way would I do business with ya after that. So that's a new one for me, always a new surprise with ebay.

I always think about that when sellers are angry at buyers not paying. Of course, I guess the sellers  here in this board are honest. But people should know that there is another side in this issue and many sellers on ebay just cancel orders when they don't want to complete the transaction. And yeah, this is worse then when a buyer doesn't pay. If a buyer doesn't pay then the transaction didn't even start. Here you actually give the seller your'e money, the transaction starts, and they don't fulfill their part.

Yesterday for me this reached new heights when a seller canceled my BIN order after 24h without even contacting me. The reason for cancellation was "something is wrong with the buyers shipping address". What the hell does this suppose to mean? Of course, probably they just wanted to avoid getting a defect because they didn't have the item or maybe they regretted providing international shipping.

If a buyer pays the transaction can only be canceled if the seller also agrees. Why isn't it so the other way around?

• Like 1

^^^ Sometimes its for legit reasons though. Say I have something on there for awhile. Well about a year ago the post office changed how the did shipping and everything is by zone and dimension now. Its waaaaaaaaay more expensive to ship anything not first class with the post office now. Unless its really close fed ex is usually the cheapest option

Well today I sold something to someone in alaska. I dont get to pick the buyer. Well now I know I have to block alaska. An 80 dollar item cost over 60 to ship because alaska has no options. Its usps priority or nothing. Private shipping options are all airmail and really expensive. Normally this would have just gone fed ex for around 15 max 20 dollars. Im not doing that sale. I lose money basically on the transaction due to circumstances changing and not realizing it with thousands of items. After ebay payment processing fee and final value fee I lose money since it costs me something to acquire and then 40 extra dollars to ship it somewhere. Free domestic shipping really isnt fair. Alaska Hawaii, Puerto Rico etc should not get the same status on the default. I could ship this thing cheaper to Canada or the UK/Europe cheaper than Alaska.

So I canceled the sale. Living in Alaska they should have known better and asked about the rates. Could have been an agreement of paying additional 30-40 and Id ship it there. This is when Free shipping bites you in the ass since ebay makes you manually go in and block Hawaii Alaska etc. and lump them in with free domestic shipping. But if you take off free shipping then you get pushed down in visibility not being labeled "fast and free""

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

^^^ Sometimes its for legit reasons though. Say I have something on there for awhile. Well about a year ago the post office changed how the did shipping and everything is by zone and dimension now. Its waaaaaaaaay more expensive to ship anything not first class with the post office now. Unless its really close fed ex is usually the cheapest option

Well today I sold something to someone in alaska. I dont get to pick the buyer. Well now I know I have to block alaska. An 80 dollar item cost over 60 to ship because alaska has no options. Its usps priority or nothing. Private shipping options are all airmail and really expensive. Normally this would have just gone fed ex for around 15 max 20 dollars. Im not doing that sale. I lose money basically on the transaction due to circumstances changing and not realizing it with thousands of items. After ebay payment processing fee and final value fee I lose money since it costs me something to acquire and then 40 extra dollars to ship it somewhere. Free domestic shipping really isnt fair. Alaska Hawaii, Puerto Rico etc should not get the same status on the default. I could ship this thing cheaper to Canada or the UK/Europe cheaper than Alaska.

So I canceled the sale. Living in Alaska they should have known better and asked about the rates. Could have been an agreement of paying additional 30-40 and Id ship it there. This is when Free shipping bites you in the ass since ebay makes you manually go in and block Hawaii Alaska etc. and lump them in with free domestic shipping. But if you take off free shipping then you get pushed down in visibility not being labeled "fast and free""

I get it, but sellers should check their listing, what shipping they provide, and adjust accordingly. Did a mistake? No big deal, everyone does from time to time but there should be consequences so that people will do their best to avoid making mistakes. Either ship it at a loss or get a defect, decide what bothers you more. If someone really only rarely makes honest mistakes, it should even up in the long run. But some sellers lie one the cancellation form to avoid paying for their mistakes.

If I as a buyer make a mistake, say I don't notice that currency conversion rate changed and now what I ordered is above the import tax threshold, I have to pay for it.

Oh wow didn't know that about alaska, what a bummer 😕

In my recent case I was more than willing to give the guy a reversal of feedback if it was a legit excuse or he was at least cordial, just been burned too many times. We weren't far distancewise, he wasn't even offering free shipping, it was 5$ after the feedback I suggested he could have broken the box down flat and shipped media mail and he didn't seem to get it saying that he didn't ship in bubble mailers. After the negative, communication started happening a week after.

If there was any communication before, problem would have been solved so the feedback is accurate. If he wouldn't have responded with 'i thought you would only give neutral' I might have had a little empathy too

7 hours ago, sg17 said:

I get it, but sellers should check their listing, what shipping they provide, and adjust accordingly. Did a mistake? No big deal, everyone does from time to time but there should be consequences so that people will do their best to avoid making mistakes. Either ship it at a loss or get a defect, decide what bothers you more. If someone really only rarely makes honest mistakes, it should even up in the long run. But some sellers lie one the cancellation form to avoid paying for their mistakes.

If I as a buyer make a mistake, say I don't notice that currency conversion rate changed and now what I ordered is above the import tax threshold, I have to pay for it.

When you have 9000 items thats asking alot.

34 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

When you have 9000 items thats asking alot.

That's true if you sell high volume then there is a bigger chance of some honest mistake happening. But in this situation you can also better afford to make some mistakes. Both with respect to feedback and to revenue.

I'm really not expecting all sellers to be 100% perfect all the time, I only expect them take responsibility.

34 minutes ago, sg17 said:

That's true if you sell high volume then there is a bigger chance of some honest mistake happening. But in this situation you can also better afford to make some mistakes. Both with respect to feedback and to revenue.

I'm really not expecting all sellers to be 100% perfect all the time, I only expect them take responsibility.

one of the big issues is defect count. Top rated status is determined by very low threshold percentage of sales and defects. Basically selling even thousands of items a year. It only takes 3ish in a 3 month period and automatic visibility demotion status and a 10 percent raise in fees. Claiming item missing or damaged is an auto defect. So claiming something wrong with buyer address is yes to avoid a defect. It sucks to have to do, but its absolutely stupid not to. A couple missing items in a 3 month window when you have thousands( It really does happen. Ebay glitches like crazy with quantities and random relists glitches). Ebays tech and site maintenance  is so sub standard.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, Quest4Nes said:

one of the big issues is defect count. Top rated status is determined by very low threshold percentage of sales and defects. Basically selling even thousands of items a year. It only takes 3ish in a 3 month period and automatic visibility demotion status and a 10 percent raise in fees. Claiming item missing or damaged is an auto defect. So claiming something wrong with buyer address is yes to avoid a defect. It sucks to have to do, but its absolutely stupid not to. A couple missing items in a 3 month window when you have thousands( It really does happen. Ebay glitches like crazy with quantities and random relists glitches). Ebays tech and site maintenance  is so sub standard.

You're probably right. Mostly I think I'm mad they didn't contact me before canceling. It's just abusing their power to cancel orders. Sometimes a seller has to contact a buyer knowing in advance they can't complete the sale. This happened to me once with a seller from Japan who said he actually can't ship because of covid, and another time with a seller who was wrong about their inventory (and a couple more times, but these I remember well). In both cases they apologized and I told them they can cancel knowing that they will then list it as "buyer asked to cancel". But the fact that they contacted me was an indicator that they know that they messed up and they regard me as an equal partner in the transaction, just as I have to do (by default!) if I mess up and need to contact the seller.
I don't think the cases you describe are very similar to the one I described here (in the previous messages) because you seem to have respect your buyers and these sellers don't (btw it seems most sellers act this way because they believe that they can't get a neg if they cancel orders, I personally don't leave negs, but they can certainly get them).