IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

10 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Always ask about any ciagarette smells or strong odors from items.

I sometimes get sellers reply, "I don't smell anything but I smoke." PASS. Sometimes it isn't wort the effort or risk.

Yeah, I have "Smoker Friendly" Banjo-Tooie Box/Manual/Inserts for auction.  I put "PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION" in all caps on the title and in the description I outline that it came from a smokers home.

I really, really hope the buyer doesn't ignore that.  The item is in fair shape otherwise.  I know there are smokers out their that collect, so it does have some value.  I just want it gone since I'm more interested in the cart and I'd hope to make a few bucks off of it.

11 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, I have "Smoker Friendly" Banjo-Tooie Box/Manual/Inserts for auction.  I put "PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION" in all caps on the title and in the description I outline that it came from a smokers home.

I really, really hope the buyer doesn't ignore that.  The item is in fair shape otherwise.  I know there are smokers out their that collect, so it does have some value.  I just want it gone since I'm more interested in the cart and I'd hope to make a few bucks off of it.

You know you guys can air that out right, It won't smell like that forever.

8 hours ago, RH said:

Bro, I've been airing that thing out for two years. I even put charcoal bags in the box and I still smell it when I take it out of the closet.

Thats really weird, I'd say a good 30% of my collection arrived smelling like smoke upon purchase and it dissipated pretty quickly. Thats even without putting any effort into to it.

I purchased a original dragon ball z layout of Vegeta from the sayain saga that was pretty desirable. I ended up getting a good deal on it and had bought 3 pieces from the seller before.  I lad through PayPal but it didn't arrive for a month and I ended up figuring I just got back doored.

But the weird part is is that I've bought $250+ of art from this guy. We shared pieces of our collections back and forth through email and our nostalgia for the series. Then I buy the cheapest piece from him and he ghosts me?

He didn't respond to my emails. I sent him messages through eBay that he ducked but he keeps listing and selling cels and layouts on eBay.

I just don't get some people? Why lose a customer that clearly had a repeated interested in your extra stuff? 

• Confused 1

On 8/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Thats really weird, I'd say a good 30% of my collection arrived smelling like smoke upon purchase and it dissipated pretty quickly. Thats even without putting any effort into to it.

I've had this problem with carts before, intense cigar smoke smell.  I ended up opening them up, putting them in the garage on a piece of cardboard, and spraying a ton of smell neutralizer like lysol, febreze, whatever you have in the air and on the cardboard around the carts.  Some I sprayed on the inside of the carts too, not on the outside so as not to damage the labels, but not on the circuit boards.  I did it twice a day for three days.  After that I did a quick clean of any residue and put them back together.  It's weird to say, but I sniffed those carts very deeply and all I got was febreze freshness out of them.  A few weeks after that I smelled again and the febreze smell was faded away, but there was no smoke smell after.  Just cart plastic smell.  Of course on paper, other plastics, etc not sure what would work.

I haven't had problems with eBay sellers in a while but am lucky enough to have two sellers playing games.

Item(s) one - seller has on obo and I throw an offer, they counter, I counter, they accept, I pay immediately and 2 weeks later they cancel.. I look at their for sale and the item(s) are back up. I sent 3-4 messages an nothing. At this point, I am annoyed so I click the cancellation even though it is worded "I haven't paid or received item" cancel goes through, I get anxiety they are ripping me off so I start a refund request (this is so ass backwards I have no idea what the hell is going on and I should have just called.) So I call ebay and they say since I started it, things should be good... We'll see

Item two - buy it now, paid immediately. After many days of me attempting contact and nothing, I check the item and it's completely gone from eBay. Great. Call ebay, they say the seller frigging quit eBay. Cool. Now my money is floating in the PayPal universe and maybe perhaps I will get it back Friday?

Ooof

I guess I was over due, I had nearly a year of no issues 😆

Edited by drxandy

Moderator · Posted

I often add ebay listings to my watchlist that I intend to buy later after an upcoming payday. Mostly to have some fun comparing prices and get excited for treating myself later in the month, but sometimes having in my watch list for a little while also gets me one of those “private offers” that discounts the price. But it is funny how bad some of those deals are. I just received one that was a whole dollar off the listing price!!! I mean, wow what a bargain, right? Why am I writing this post when I should be jumping on this incredible deal 😜

• Haha 1

This is a rare GOOD not a rant for ebay.

I got this internal email from ebay yesterday with a product code.  It thanked me for being an original member from 1997 and I was awarded $25 to spend however I wish as long as the total bill was $25.01 in the end or higher.  That's a pretty solid amount of free funds I've not seen them do before.

Anyone else here see something like this?

39 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

This is a rare GOOD not a rant for ebay.

I got this internal email from ebay yesterday with a product code.  It thanked me for being an original member from 1997 and I was awarded $25 to spend however I wish as long as the total bill was $25.01 in the end or higher.  That's a pretty solid amount of free funds I've not seen them do before.

Anyone else here see something like this?

Yeah I saw a few people get it. Didn't work for me 😞 

On 8/31/2020 at 9:42 AM, Scrobins said:

I often add ebay listings to my watchlist that I intend to buy later after an upcoming payday. Mostly to have some fun comparing prices and get excited for treating myself later in the month, but sometimes having in my watch list for a little while also gets me one of those “private offers” that discounts the price. But it is funny how bad some of those deals are. I just received one that was a whole dollar off the listing price!!! I mean, wow what a bargain, right? Why am I writing this post when I should be jumping on this incredible deal 😜

Which the question should be asked here what is a fair private offer discount? 10% off, 20% off? 

Moderator · Posted

Depends on the price’s neighborhood. I get dollar discounts from cheaper listings, which in my opinion should get larger discounts seems my impression is that such games are supposed to be priced to move. Sure $1 off a $12 game is something, but if I added that to my watchlist rather than purchase outright, I’m clearly waiting for something to catch my eye.

Larger value items would require larger discounts just because a discount has to be larger to be noticeable, but I think that scale allows for more wiggle room.

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I just want to reply to this clown so bad and send them as far as they are willing to go and just ghost tf out of them. I know people are just trying to make a buck but seriously get a real job. 

3780C01A-F91B-4592-B9AD-2F20D01DA180.png

I never understood the people that showed their hand like that.   If you have 5 of something sought after, put up a listing for one and then just sell to the first 5 responders.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bonanza125 said:

Which the question should be asked here what is a fair private offer discount? 10% off, 20% off? 

I have found 15% to be the magic number. Big enough for me to get a decent discount and small enough for sellers not to feel low balled.

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I just want to reply to this clown so bad and send them as far as they are willing to go and just ghost tf out of them. I know people are just trying to make a buck but seriously get a real job. 

3780C01A-F91B-4592-B9AD-2F20D01DA180.png

If they bought it in DC then they're looking at maybe a $30 profit on each. That's a really poor ROI, so either they are desperate for money or just not good with the money they do have.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:13 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

I never understood the people that showed their hand like that.   If you have 5 of something sought after, put up a listing for one and then just sell to the first 5 responders.

I think it’s the same mentality of “Look at all these duplicate [insert rare collectible] I have” bleeding over into a sale post.

I did something similar when Skyward Sword came out back on NA and no one could find the bundles, but I was selling them at cost plus shipping.

My local target had them in the clearance aisle for whatever reason (I think I caught someone’s backdoor deal before they managed to pick it up) and paid $28.88 per sealed collectors bundle...they had 18 and in turn so did I.

Tangets aside, I think that’s what it is.

On 8/31/2020 at 10:42 AM, Scrobins said:

but sometimes having in my watch list for a little while also gets me one of those “private offers” that discounts the price. 

I get those sometimes - but I also get them occasionally when I look at something without putting it on my watchlist - happened just today about  1/2 hour after I looked at an item.   It was a hefty 45% off a $20 item - but after looking at it it really wasn't what I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting an increase of people on Ebay, Craigslist and Facebook where people aren't even reading the ad. They either buy the item or come over thinking one thing but if they were to read the ad it would've been exactly what was described. Then they blame me.  Example item is for parts not working. They come over thinking the item is in like new shape. Selling large items I state you need a truck or a van to haul away. They bring a Camry. Selling a NES system with 2 games. Person thought they were getting a bulk load of games with it. Bunch of Genesis games cart only. Person thought they were all complete. It amazes me even with pictures its still not enough.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 1:27 AM, Bonanza125 said:

I'm getting an increase of people on Ebay, Craigslist and Facebook where people aren't even reading the ad. They either buy the item or come over thinking one thing but if they were to read the ad it would've been exactly what was described. Then they blame me.  Example item is for parts not working. They come over thinking the item is in like new shape. Selling large items I state you need a truck or a van to haul away. They bring a Camry. Selling a NES system with 2 games. Person thought they were getting a bulk load of games with it. Bunch of Genesis games cart only. Person thought they were all complete. It amazes me even with pictures its still not enough.

I used to work at Subway and lost all hope one day when a guy tried to return his sub because there were the wrong veggies on it.... that he just ordered moments before... where he told me exactly what to put on it.

Also, I read that the Xbox one sales were up 700% on Amazon the day the Series X went on sale... mind you that's a brutal naming convention, probably even worse than the Wii U.

I've been selling a lot on ebay this past month to save up for a camera. I've never had problems as a buyer or seller until now. Some guy won a 10 day auction that I listed and will not pay. Its been exactly a week and I've send multiple reminders and invoices. He has no negative feedback, but his most recent feedback was positive but stated that he didn't pay. So why was that a positive review?? I filed an unpaid item claim yesterday so I guess he has 4 more days to waste my time. This sucks. Now I have to relist the item and now I have no idea what it will sell for. Probably a lot less since this idiot bid it all the way up. Who does this shit? Someone with a compulsive buying disorder who can't afford the item and has no respect for other people's time? 

3 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

I've been selling a lot on ebay this past month to save up for a camera. I've never had problems as a buyer or seller until now. Some guy won a 10 day auction that I listed and will not pay. Its been exactly a week and I've send multiple reminders and invoices. He has no negative feedback, but his most recent feedback was positive but stated that he didn't pay. So why was that a positive review?? I filed an unpaid item claim yesterday so I guess he has 4 more days to waste my time. This sucks. Now I have to relist the item and now I have no idea what it will sell for. Probably a lot less since this idiot bid it all the way up. Who does this shit? Someone with a compulsive buying disorder who can't afford the item and has no respect for other people's time? 

Last time that happened to me, I waited 3 days for payment. On the 4th day, I cancelled the order with the option "buyer asked to cancel order" since that is effectively what they did. Plus, if they wanted to dispute the cancellation, they have to pay to do so. It sucks and it's a waste of time, but it's a lot better than waiting for eBay to do something.

Hmm you two are discouraging me.  I had someone get into a pissing match over a 2DS handheld yesterday evening without a charger, jacked the price up beyond reason in my eyes to $69 as it's not spotless like new or anything of the sort.  They didn't pay, sent an invoice a few hours ago, decided to make it free shipping as bait.

I'm betting dead beat, but if not, wow.  Definitely as you said up there, probably compulsive buying disorder.  The amount of clicks on the bid history is sickeningly long.  See for yourself, and with only 3 feedback (though 100%) I have my doubts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254734854776