IGNORED

Favorite Console Games of the Generation (Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)

DoctorEncore

As the launch of new consoles fast approaches, it's always fun to look back at the past generation of games and have a lively discussion about our favorites. For the sake of this post, I'm considering the current generation to include the Wii U (2012), Xbox One (2013), PS4 (2013), and Switch (2017). Nintendo tends to do their own thing with generations and both of their consoles had significant overlap with the Xbox and PS4, so I'm including them both. Obviously the Switch will continue in some capacity for 3-4 more years, so feel free to exclude it from your own personal lists. Let's go!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - I was not prepared for just how revolutionary this game would be. I have always enjoyed Zelda games and A Link to the Past was previously my favorite in the series. However, after about 100 hours of pure joy, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the best Zelda game around. At the time of its release, open world games had begun to feel stale with their bloated checklists and painfully repetitive game play. And then, somehow, a game with almost no story and minimal character interaction managed to reinvigorate the genre. The freedom to go anywhere and to do anything without a timer and with minimal interruptions was a breath of fresh air. Breakable weapons and crafting/cooking didn't do much for me, but those are tiny waves in a sea of positives. Not only is this one of my favorite games of the generation, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

2. Rocket League (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) - This one definitely takes the cake for most hours played this generation. How such a simple game with such a simple premise could prove to be the most played game of my life blows my mind. I have spent countless hours dodging, back-flipping, flying, demolishing, and own-goaling with a smile on my face and fury in my soul. It is only now, after 5 years with the game, that I am finally starting to lose interest. That being said, I can still pick this up anytime for an intense showdown or a less competitive, yet raucous good time with friends and family. This is truly a multiplayer gem.

3. Celeste (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) - It is hard to put into words why this game is so amazing. Sure, the graphics are bright and beautiful and the OST ranks among the best videogame soundtracks of all time, but there is something else here that is almost intangible. For me, that intangible is just how it feels; it just feels perfect. That sense of perfection elevates Celeste above nearly all other 2D platformers and is reflected in controls that are tight and responsive while remaining simple. The levels are designed to introduce new concepts at just the right time and the challenge ramps up naturally as the player learns the rules of the world. The game is never unfair, but it does have high expectations. New abilities and movement techniques are revealed as you progress through the game and climb the mountain. However, unlike other games, you quickly realize that you have had access to these abilities since the first stage, you just did not know how to use them. This is a wonderful revelation and a beautiful lesson in game design. I cannot think of a better example of thoughtful player education outside of the original Super Mario Brothers. Everyone who enjoys challenging platformers, or even those who simply appreciate stellar game design, should play this game.

4. Outer Wilds (Xbox One, PS4) - I'm not sure that it's possible to explain what makes the outer wilds such an amazing experience without ruining it for those who have not played it, but I will try. Presented as a space exploration adventure, the game is actually more akin to an investigative detective story. There are no experience points, weapons, upgrades, or other overwrought videogame mechanics. Instead, you play the role of a lone explorer charged with solving the central mystery of the game world using only the knowledge you gather along the way. There is a time loop mechanic here, but it serves a central story purpose and is justified from both a story and gameplay perspective. When I finally pieced together all the clues and understood what I had to do, I felt an enormous sense of accomplishment. Even so, I couldn't help but feel a sense of sadness that the end was approaching; this is both a product of the amazing experience of playing the game and the somber story that unfolds. I have never experienced a game like this before and I doubt I ever will again. The first few hours can feel slow and meandering since you are given little direction, but I encourage anyone interested to continue the journey and avoid using a guide. I wish I could play this game for the first time again.

5. Doom (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) - If you asked me what makes the original Doom such a great game, I would not have said the fluid movement and exhilarating feeling of discovery. But with id's 2016 reboot, those are the exact qualities that make it a masterpiece. Sure, the combat is a blast and the weapons feel fantastic, but I found myself enjoying the search for secrets more than almost anything else. Doom Guy dances like a butterfly and stings like a bee. I absolutely loved this game on release and suspect Doom Eternal is just as good, if not as revolutionary. After so many years without a true successor to the original games, this reboot was among the most pleasant surprises of this generation and certainly one of my favorites.

6. Sea of Thieves (Xbox One) - Sea of Thieves is probably the only game with self-described emergent gameplay that I have ever really enjoyed.  Even at launch, when it was a bit anemic in terms of features and variety, there was something special about the way player interactions unfolded. The actual objectives of the game have always taken a backseat to the more chaotic fun of exploration, battles with legendary sea creatures, and ship to ship combat. Spending an hour chasing another ship so that you can kamikaze attack with an explosive barrel just to recover a pittance in gold sounds insane, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't some of the most fun that I've had this generation. The game keeps getting bigger and better with more updates and players, so there is always a surprise waiting when I log back in.

7. Uncharted 4 (PS4) - First-party Sony games have long had a big-budget, popcorn-cinema feel that you either love or hate. The Uncharted series is the epitome of this style of game-making and a reliable hit maker for the company. Usually, this type of game is not something that I enjoy; I felt myself turned off by the self-seriousness and bloated world of the new God of War. But Uncharted has always been more of an absurd, tongue-in-cheek adventure with just a dash of biting commentary on the ridiculousness of the classic globe-trotting hero. Nathan Drake always has a smart-ass comment ready to fire off and continually finds himself in unbelievably unlikely scenarios, just like any good Indiana Jones knock-off should. Uncharted 4 pairs Drake's over-the-top personality with insane production values and gorgeous set pieces to create a game that is the most fun since the franchise started on PS3. This game is my guilty pleasure and I don't even feel guilty.

8. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox One) - Remember when I said that Celeste just feels right? Ori has that going for it too. After a fantastic debut on the 360, this follow-up takes every aspect of gameplay, storytelling, and graphics and turns the nob all the way to 11. The story is heartwarming, the visuals are beautiful, the music is fantastic, and the controls are tight. Any good Metroidvania needs movement to be perfect and combat to be fluid and this game excels at both. I firmly believe that the first two character/skill upgrades in any game with a focus on exploration should be double jump and roll/dodge and Ori meets those criteria. Surprisingly emotional and always fun, this is hands-down the best Metroidvania of this generation and one of the best ever made.

9. Hellblade: Senua’s Saga (Xbox One, PS4) - Senua’s Journey grabbed me right from the start with its evocative portrayal of mental illness, loss, anguish, and psychosis. The story and visual presentation are the strong points here, although the combat is enjoyable in small bites. There is also some puzzle solving and light exploration, but the real star is the atmosphere of this Nordic world. There is an overwhelming sensation of dread and anxiety that permeates every scene and which I’ve never experienced in a game before. If the next-gen sequel can live up to the complicated, yet beautiful legacy of this game, I will be elated.

10. The Witness (Xbox One, PS4) - This game is a masterclass in design from the mind of Johnathan Blow, the creator of another fantastic puzzler, Braid. He takes an exceedingly simple idea, solving a line puzzle, and builds an entire story and world around it. I constantly found myself amazed at the ingenuity of the puzzles and secrets within the world. Skip the guide and you’ll find yourself repeatedly impressed with what you discover on this forbidden island. Maybe a little too difficult for most people, it’s still worthwhile just to get a peak into Blow’s mind.

Honorable Mentions

1. Cuphead (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) - Challenging run-and-gun gameplay with a focus on boss fights paired with some truly unique throwback visuals. What more could you ask for?
  2. Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox One, PS4) - The game manages to make B.J. Blazkowicz an interesting character with a story worth following while injecting tons of great weapons and action into the usual FPS trappings.
  3. The Outer Worlds (Xbox One, PS4, Switch) - Silly and satirical, Obsidian has crafted an engaging planet-hopping adventure with great dialogue and character. Sure the combat drags a bit, but is that really why you're here?
  4. Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One) - Do you like Halo like I like Halo? Because if you do, this is a hell of a lot of Halo.
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U/Switch) - Simply put, this is one of the best action platformers of all time. Also the music is top-notch. Play it.

Games I Missed, but Would Probably Enjoy

Spoiler
  1. Witcher 3
  2. Monster Hunter World
  3. Final Fantasy 15
  4. Metro Exodus
  5. Resident Evil 2
  6. Sunset Overdrive
  7. Last of Us 2
  8. Spider-Man
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. FF7 Remake
  11. Ghost of Tsushima
  12. Death Stranding
  13. Control
  14. Titanfall 2
  15. Nier: Automata
  16. Octopath Traveler
  17. Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Your turn.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Though I did own a Wii, I basically used it as a Virtual Console for a bunch of DLC games.  The last "new" console I bought was the GameCube. So, basically, my gaming experience jumped from the GC to the Switch.  Well, I guess we could count the DS/3DS, but I think you're just looking at home consoles to be hooked up to TVs.

Since my experience is limited, here's my short list which are all for the Switch.  I own over 30 Switch titles but these few alone justify the purchase.  In fact, I'd say holding only 2-3 of these games in any combination justifies the purchase and ownership of the system.

1. Axiom Verge
  2.  Octopath Traveler
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Mario Kart 8+
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Sonic Mania

And, last, the Switch is a re-release beast.  I know that to many it seems like a big cash-grab to just recompile and release old games, but it's also nice to have so many of these classics remade for HD, plus have them playable on a handheld form-factor.  It's not one title but I'm going to lump "the many NES/SNES/N64/Other re-releases".

• Like 1

Wii u

Nintendo land - really fun multiplayer game that perfectly used the game pad and tv mechanics. Really hoping they port this to the switch. 

Super smash bros for Wii u - it's smash bros, it's awesome, what's not to love. 

Switch

Wargroove - one of the many hidden gems on the switch. It's a tactics game that is very similar to advance wars. If you love advance wars or fire emblem, you'll love this. 

Mario kart 8 - they fixed all the broken mechanics that made Mario kart on the Wii u unplayable. Very very good Mario kart. 

Tetris 99 - battle royale meets Tetris? Huh? What? How is that possible? Well it is and it is amazing. One of the games I've sunk the most time into for this gen. 

Super Mario Bros 35 - battle royale meets Mario? Whatinthewaluigi?!? Well this like Tetris 99 is a really solid game. Somewhat broken, but fun nonetheless. 

Fortnite - one of the best shooters I've played in a long time. Hate it all you want, I enjoy it a lot. Of all the games this gen, this is the one I've sunk the most time into. 

Zelda breath of the wild - how do you improve on such an awesome series? With breath of the wild. It took me a year of on and off playing to beat it but it was well worth it. Very fun Zelda game. 

Civilization VI - it had been a while since I had played a civ game and this one did not disappoint. Tons of new mechanics to learn. Lots of fun.

Super smash bros ultimate - super smash bros just keeps on delivering. Solid game. Tons of characters. Lots of fun. 

Games I haven't beaten or played yet that I expect will make it into this list are

Pikmin 3

Luigi's Mansion 3

Mega man 11

Owlboy

Cave story+

zelda links awakening remastered version

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

@RH@Reed Rothchild@Makar @MegaMan52 @Californication @Estil @Hammerfestus

With indie games becoming a true force, this generation might have the widest variety of excellent games the industry has ever seen and that's reflected in everyone's lists. I'm loving all your responses, so here are a few of my thoughts on some of the choices that are popping up.

• Super Mario Odyssey: I enjoyed it and gathered every moon, but I never did love it. I've never been passionate about the 3D Mario games and, unfortunately, this one didn't change my mind. Still a solid entry, though.
  • Axiom Verge:  I beat this game, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not sure if it was the controls, gameplay, oppressive atmosphere, or something about the package as a whole. I am looking forward to the more colorful sequel though.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: This is probably the best entry in the entire series and while it is a LOT of Mario Kart, it is still just Mario Kart. Don't get me wrong, it's an absolute blast with the right group of people, but it never did get me hooked.
  • Nintendo Land: What an underappreciated gem this is. In terms of couch co-op/competitive, it is a marvel of game design. It's a real shame the Wii U landed with such a thud, because there are some real diamonds in the rough.
  • Dragon Quest XI: I forgot about this game, but I've heard it's really quite fantastic. It will actually be coming to Xbox Game Pass in 1-2 months, so I will definitely be checking it out.

As for the others on my unplayed list, I'm waiting for PS5 to enjoy those PS4 exclusives with better framerates and shortened load times. I'm also waiting for the next-gen versions of Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk before I commit to those.

Keep 'em coming!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

@RH@Reed Rothchild@Makar @MegaMan52 @Californication @Estil @Hammerfestus

With indie games becoming a true force, this generation might have the widest variety of excellent games the industry has ever seen and that's reflected in everyone's lists. I'm loving all your responses, so here are a few of my thoughts on some of the choices that are popping up.

• Super Mario Odyssey: I enjoyed it and gathered every moon, but I never did love it. I've never been passionate about the 3D Mario games and, unfortunately, this one didn't change my mind. Still a solid entry, though.
  • Axiom Verge:  I beat this game, but I just couldn't get passionate about it. I'm not sure if it was the controls, gameplay, or oppressive atmosphere, but I didn't love it. I am looking forward to the more colorful sequel though.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: This is probably the best entry in the entire series and while it is a LOT of Mario Kart, it is still just Mario Kart. Don't get me wrong, it's an absolute blast with the right group of people, but it never did get me hooked.
  • Nintendo Land: What an underappreciated gem this is. In terms of couch co-op/competitive, it is a marvel of game design. It's a real shame the Wii U landed with such a thud, because there are some real diamonds in the rough.
  • Dragon Quest XI: I forgot about this game, but I've heard it's really quite fantastic. It will actually be coming to Xbox Game Pass in 1-2 months, so I will definitely be checking it out.

As for the others on my unplayed list, I'm waiting for PS5 to enjoy those PS4 exclusives with better framerates and shortened load times. I'm also waiting for the next-gen versions of Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk before I commit to those.

Keep 'em coming!

You are the first person I've met who appreciates Nintendo land as much as I do. They made the simple game of tag very fun

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Probably Super Mario Odyssey or Darkest Dungeon

...to round out my top 10, I'll add:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

A Link Between Worlds

Wolfenstein II

Hollow Knight

Rayman Legends

Breath of the Wild

Bayonetta 2

Haven't played Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Witcher III, and so on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...to round out my top 10, I'll add:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

A Link Between Worlds

Wolfenstein II

Hollow Knight

Rayman Legends

Breath of the Wild

Bayonetta 2

Haven't played Bloodborne, Nier Automata, Witcher III, and so on.

Wait 3DS is on this list?

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch)

2. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4/Switch)

3. Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

5. Bloodborne (PS4)

6. Pikmin 3 (Wii U/Switch)

7. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (PSVR)

8. Hollow Knight (PS4/Switch)

9. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (PS4)

10. Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Honorable Mentions:

- Resident Evil 7: biohazard (PS4)

- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch/PS4)

- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Wii U/Switch)

- Unravel (PS4)

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U/Switch)

Edited by AstralSoul

Let's do this!  Going to stick with PS4, since that is the generation that is ending as Switch still has a good few years.

Fox's Fav Games of the Generation

1. Bloodborne - This was my first deep dive into the Souls games and boy is it a doozy.  I've played all the others now and this is the one I come back to because of the faster combat and gothic atmosphere, that really stays with you.

2. God of War - The old GoW titles were fun hack and slash titles, but this really took it to a new level.  A truely epic adventure, moving story, hectic combat.  Kratos is back baby.

3. Witcher 3 - If you want a game to keep you engrossed for months on end, this is it.  A dark fantasy world that is so fleshed out with deep characters and intriguing side quests, I was tossing lots of coins to this Witcher.  The expansions are fantastic too.

4. Ghost of Tsushima -  Feels like it took a bit of Assasin's Creed, Uncharted, and Breath of the Wild, and put them into a blender and did it better than any of them.  Just such a chill and beautiful open world samurai epic.  The free multiplayer is a lot of fun to boot.

5. Wolfenstein TNO - I liked the old games and all their silliness, and yes in the new game you can dual wield machine guns while eating dog food.  But surprisingly the story is really fantastic, showing BJ as human suffering from PTSD, and seeing the full evil of the Nazis like never before in any media.

6. Resident Evil 7/Resident Evil 2 - Something old and something new.  RE7 really upped the creep factor switching to first person and having you feel trapped with an insane family.  While the REmake of 2, took a classic and gave it a modern flavor.

7. Spiderman - Flat out fun superhero sandbox

8. Shadow of the Colossus - I missed this game back in the day, so I'm glad I got a chance to play it with a modern makeover.  There is something magical about this.

9. Fall Guys - From Bomberman to Mario Party, feels like I have been training all my video game life for this crazy party game show.  Always down to play a couple rounds.

10. Inside - Kind of a dark horse pick, but this is more about how my cousin and I were just trying out random games and somehow got really into this one, passing off the controller and helping each other solve puzzles.  The ending was a trip and we still talk about it.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Switch)

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

3. God of War (PS4)

4. Bloodstained (Switch)

5. Sonic Mania (PS4)

6. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

7. Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4)

8. Octopath Traveler (Switch)

9. Mega Man 11 (Switch)

10. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox 1)

I'm genuinely surprised by how many times Sonic Mania has popped up. Also surprised at the relative lack of PS4 tentpoles. NOT surprised at the number of Switch games since that seems to be almost everyone's primary platform here on VGS.

I'll give it a few more days and then make a poll compiling the most popular answers for an Unofficial VGS Game of the Generation thread.

39 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm genuinely surprised by how many times Sonic Mania has popped up. Also surprised at the relative lack of PS4 tentpoles. NOT surprised at the number of Switch games since that seems to be almost everyone's primary platform here on VGS.

I'll give it a few more days and then make a poll compiling the most popular answers for an Unofficial VGS Game of the Generation thread.

The only thing preventing Sonic Mania from being the best Sonic game ever is my unwavering nostalgia.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

The Messenger (Switch)

I haven't even gotten to the 16-bit/Metroidvania part of the game yet and I am absolutely loving it.  A bit of Ninja Gaiden in the 8-bit section (with more air acrobatics then the original NG trilogy), but looking forward to the Metroidvania part.  Very funny and self-referential.  I highly recommend it!

I have a phyiscal copy, but of course, those are sold out.  You can get it on the eShop, however.

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumer said:

The Messenger (Switch)

I haven't even gotten to the 16-bit/Metroidvania part of the game yet and I am absolutely loving it.  A bit of Ninja Gaiden in the 8-bit section (with more air acrobatics then the original NG trilogy), but looking forward to the Metroidvania part.  Very funny and self-referential.  I highly recommend it!

I have a phyiscal copy, but of course, those are sold out.  You can get it on the eShop, however.

This is really high on my need-to-play list. Maybe I'll do it next.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumer said:

The Messenger (Switch)

It's not really an 8 bit/16 bit split... actually I'll just let you discover it for yourself.