IGNORED

Fun cart collecting challenge?

I’ve basically been focusing on sealed games but I gotta be honest, it’s becoming less fun every day. 

I’m chasing a sealed Madden set and that’s losing its luster because my only outlet is eBay. Also been on a long journey to get all of my childhood favorites sealed. The issue there is that the only ones left on my list (in good condition) would cost me as much as a new house.

So I need something new to keep me going. I’m very interested in the challenge of a cart-only NES set or cart-only Genesis set. Those are the only consoles for which I have a strong nostalgia.

My question is: what would be a fun way to challenge myself to obtain this set? It could easily be bought within 60-90 days with enough money but I want a challenge and an experience.

Some ideas I’ve considered:

“No ebay rule” - basically can buy anywhere but eBay 

Start with X dollars and buy/sell/trade my way to the full set

Trade only

Local only

Anyone else have any good ideas???

Local only you'd probably never see some carts, especially if unlicensed is in the mix.

Trade only you better start out with good trade bait.

The other rules are doable if you're patient (years, not months.) If Facebook is allowed, then you have a good shot at completing the set.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaddenCollector said:

I’ve basically been focusing on sealed games but I gotta be honest, it’s becoming less fun every day. 

I’m chasing a sealed Madden set and that’s losing its luster because my only outlet is eBay. Also been on a long journey to get all of my childhood favorites sealed. The issue there is that the only ones left on my list (in good condition) would cost me as much as a new house.

So I need something new to keep me going. I’m very interested in the challenge of a cart-only NES set or cart-only Genesis set. Those are the only consoles for which I have a strong nostalgia.

My question is: what would be a fun way to challenge myself to obtain this set? It could easily be bought within 60-90 days with enough money but I want a challenge and an experience.

Some ideas I’ve considered:

“No ebay rule” - basically can buy anywhere but eBay 

Start with X dollars and buy/sell/trade my way to the full set

Trade only

Local only

Anyone else have any good ideas???

I don't think it will be possible without eBay, unless you have the means and time to travel the entire country (i.e. Nintendo Quest).

If you do use eBay, you can make it more interesting by only going after auctions and skipping BINs. This means some games won't be available more than a couple times a year.

You could go after the WORST condition copy. It will make it more fun and you'll find some uniquely damaged carts.

You could go by publisher sub sets which can lead to some fun display options.

I'm sure some other people here will give you some great ideas as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No ebay.  It will take awhile, but that's not a bad thing.  A lot of the fun is in the journey.  Speed collecting by throwing cash around will just leave you chasing the next high.

Or maybe he can set himself to no more than X amount of ebay buys. Say a maximum of he can only use ebay for 10 of the(however many there are) Genesis games. That way there is an out if he just never finds a few otherwise.

In other words...

maybe if i just get a little bit high | South park, Fun, Cartoon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I feel your pain, grinding out the last of the N64 games I needed was not fun. They were titles I would have never found locally even with two retro game stores nearby. I had some fun buying some games for other systems that weren’t really expensive to give myself a break here and there

Yeah man I hear you, nothing will ever be perfect but it just gets annoying to only be able to buy stuff on eBay. Not to mention that it’s also much less fun when I’m competing with regular sealed guys, celebrities, and wealthy investors haha