IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Ghosts 'n Goblins

BeaIank

Just now, NESfiend said:

The game is hard as shit. Probably the hardest game Ive played in the contests this year. Tough one to put up a score that isnt a fraction of what the top people will get. Feel bad for @Sumer who joined up this week. Hard game for people like us who are new to it. Really frustrating when you are starting out, but Im starting to really enjoy it even though Im not getting anywhere. Feels like the week we played mappy. Playing plenty, getting nowhere, but loving it regardless 

It's a lot like the level 15 Tetris contest, lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It's a lot like the level 15 Tetris contest, lol

I stand corrected - that was the hardest week. I will at least complete a level in this one. I never did see level 16 on tetris. 

@BeaIank are you able to video the run? Im so curious what 200k on level 1 would even look like. It seems inhuman. Did a quick search on youtube and only saw speedruns. 

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I stand corrected - that was the hardest week. I will at least complete a level in this one. I never did see level 16 on tetris. 

@BeaIank are you able to video the run? Im so curious what 200k on level 1 would even look like. It seems inhuman. Did a quick search on youtube and only saw speedruns. 

I will probably record it.
If I feel frisky, I may even stream it.
But 210K+ points is the bare minimum you should be leaving stage 1 with pick.
Pick the torch. Then learn the precise point to switch it to something else while burning lives to farm points at stage 1.
It is so damn obvious it is not even fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Let's not forget Qbert, Star Force and one life Adventure Island.

Qbert is insanely, insanely hard. As is Star Force.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Pick the torch. Then learn the precise point to switch it to something else while burning lives to farm points at stage 1.

Im sure im an idiot but I have no idea what this means. Even if I did, im sure I couldnt execute it. But it will be awesome to watch!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NESfiend said:
27 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Im sure im an idiot but I have no idea what this means. Even if I did, im sure I couldnt execute it. But it will be awesome to watch!

The torch (round orange fireball) will drop from a zombie carrying a basket early in the first level when you shoot it.  Use it on the slanty graves to manifest the magician.

I was really irritated with myself for missing Q*bert earlier in this year as it is my 2nd favorite arcade game after Ms. Pac-man...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm trying not to hold your dislike of Contra and Tetris against you.

contra is only overated. tetris i actualy hate.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd say preferring anything over Star Force is evidence of not having brain damage 😅

i like star force more than qbert.

33 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Let's not forget Qbert, Star Force and one life Adventure Island.

Qbert is insanely, insanely hard. As is Star Force.

I never played qbert before this, but was able to get through 3 or 4 levels. Ive gone back to it a few times since and it is badass. 

Played adventure island as a kid at a neighbors house occasionally and loved it. Ive gotten to level 4 or 5 as an adult, but should put more time in. Classic, but definitely hard and 1 life would be brutal. Sad I wasnt playing yet then. 

Still say this is hardest behind tetris with an asterisk starting deep in the game. All quality games. Props to mods. Its going to be really hard to follow up the lineup we had this year in 2021

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I never played qbert before this, but was able to get through 3 or 4 levels. Ive gone back to it a few times since and it is badass. 

Played adventure island as a kid at a neighbors house occasionally and loved it. Ive gotten to level 4 or 5 as an adult, but should put more time in. Classic, but definitely hard and 1 life would be brutal. Sad I wasnt playing yet then. 

Still say this is hardest behind tetris with an asterisk starting deep in the game. All quality games. Props to mods. Its going to be really hard to follow up the lineup we had this year in 2021

Tetris might be the hardest in the sense that it's almost impossible to get good at within a short period of time.

For example I remember Reed Rothchild/Brock Landers excelled at most of the NES games that he had never played before in the 2016 contests such as Ghosts n Goblins and Qbert, but he couldn't break 200k in Tetris.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PII said:

The torch (round orange fireball) will drop from a zombie carrying a basket early in the first level when you shoot it.  Use it on the slanty graves to manifest the magician.

Id been doing that with other weapons. The fireballs are annoying. Almost like the rocks on Friday 13th arching up. Makes sense theyd get bigger reward. Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:
2 hours ago, PII said:

Id been doing that with other weapons. The fireballs are annoying. Almost like the rocks on Friday 13th arching up. Makes sense theyd get bigger reward. Thanks!!!

No prob.  If you hit the gravestone at the correct point the torch will flame up and cause multiple hits manifesting the magician in an instant.  It's sort of like the holy water/fire bomb in Castlevania.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, PII said:

No prob.  If you hit the gravestone at the correct point the torch will flame up and cause multiple hits manifesting the magician in an instant.  It's sort of like the holy water/fire bomb in Castlevania.

20201025_135923.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

121,500 - I did this for the first life and part of the second. I suck with fire, but found the trigger point. I continued triggering the graves with knives after. Strangely I randomly found a few of the flashing dolls at points that werent in the wiki guide. Couldnt do it again if I tried. No idea why they popped up, but ill take it. 

Some enemies drop them every once in a while, might be that? Plus the drop pattern is quite consistent, after a while you feel when you're about to get one dropped.

10 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Some enemies drop them every once in a while, might be that? Plus the drop pattern is quite consistent, after a while you feel when you're about to get one dropped.

The only one I had ever seen before is at the first slanted grave on the top level, which is listed on the guide doug posted. I know one of the others popped up before the first tilted grave on the bottom level. The other two I didnt pay enough attention going back and forth with biden v trump. 

Edited by NESfiend