IGNORED

Mario no Photopi

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, thesofasurfer said:

That is not what the articles suggest, do they?  Nintendo developers said so rare that it is considered a grail.  True or false?  Maybe you should shorten your mile

Do be aware that literally anyone can write an article on the internet, and Vice in particular isn't exactly the bastion of video game truth.

Administrator · Posted

I dunno how rare it is; as FC said I'd prob want someone like @OptOut to weigh in on what might be rarer. There's some folks on here that have stupid amounts of niche knowledge that really makes me question their humanity.

Something else you should be aware of:

1. Anyone can make a wikipedia article, or edit an existing one
  2. Most articles on sites like that are just people hopping on Wikipedia for their content, and spicing it up with their own verbiage

All it could take, thus, for some misinformation to become "common knowledge" is for someone to make a wiki article about something and suddenly it's "the truth". 

Not that I am saying that those articles or the wiki article are wrong per se, but you came here asking if the game is rare. If however you came here to ask "is this the rarest game on N64" and are going to defend that it is so when told otherwise, it starts to feel a bit more like advertising the game you're tossing on HA to get the word out than actual truth-seeking.

• Like 1

In terms of the overall Nintendo 64 library, this may very well be the rarest unique game. However, it likely isn't even close to being the rarest N64 "release"

If you want the rarest release you probably have to look into one of the non-Japanese "Asian" regions.

I believe there are four asian regions not counting Japan.

• (-ASI) Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia
  • (-KOR) Korea
  • (-ROC) Taiwan
  • (-ROC) China

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

Yeah. I meant to say rarest N64 game. Not Nintendo. I'm just trying to figure out if it is a really unknown item and if anyone had any info on it. It is not the easiest game to learn about online. Thanks for all remarks, good or bad.  I am just here to feed on knowledge dropped on me.

Edited by thesofasurfer
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

That's what he means, N64 games. If we're delving outside of the North American releases into Japanese, then why not go all the way and include the other regions? If you want the true rarest N64 release, period, you're not like to find it in either North American or Japanese releases.

I sort of agree with @thesofasurfer

Release rarity is a whole different ball game when you’re just looking for the overall rarest title.

I mean, in the USA the rarest “Game” is ClayFighter Sculptors Cut.....but Big Box Rampage 2 is easily rarer than it.

I for one know a minimal amount of information of N64 releases in Japan. But I’m willing to bet that besides the test cartridge, this is the rarest game.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

I don't think its the rarest just doesn't come up a lot because of people collecting 64dd stuff don't tend to sell often. If you lived in japan I think you wouldn't have as hard of a time finding a nice copy just not so much on ebay. Couple years ago you could find them in different states of complete-ness on eBay for a hundred or so dollars. 

No, it is NOT the rarest Japanese N64 game, there are a couple of very hard to find sports titles that basically never come up, including Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and a baseball one which would be MY personal grail as a Japanese N64 collector.

Bangai O also had a super low print run and is highly desirable, making it hard and expensive to track down, and there are other games such as Getter Love in a similar situation. Even something like Sin and Punishment, which isn't exactly rare, would be in much higher demand due to its popularity, and thus more expensive. 

This game is NOT particularly desirable due to the fact it's not exactly a game per say, its an art program. Interesting as a collectable, but not one for the gamers...

Also, anyone who bids on this PARTICULAR copy should know that it's NOT complete. The game originally came in a big box with a memory card and some other stuff. This graded copy pictured above is just the small box that came inside the big box. I wouldn't touch an incomplete copy like this with a barge poll. 😕

This is what you SHOULD be getting with the complete package:

s-l225.jpg.37200af77e558fd6dda9cafb132470a9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Wow! 1

9 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

In terms of the overall Nintendo 64 library, this may very well be the rarest unique game. However, it likely isn't even close to being the rarest N64 "release"

If you want the rarest release you probably have to look into one of the non-Japanese "Asian" regions.

I believe there are four asian regions not counting Japan.

• (-ASI) Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia
  • (-KOR) Korea
  • (-ROC) Taiwan
  • (-ROC) China

I honestly don't think (mainland) China (aka PRC) would be receiving an ROC code, that literally refers to Republic of China (i.e. Taiwan), the island they are trying to conquer. 😛

Edited by fcgamer
  • Sad 1

Its rarer than the virtual wrestling 2. Not sure where u are getting your info from. Its also rarer than the king of pro baseball 2 you speak of. As for being part of a bigger set, that is true and false.  Like Mario kart 64, Nintendo would not include a separate box like they did for pocket stadium monsters, Mario kart 64 unless the game itself was a truly a boxed game put in a larger box to that also holds additional accessories or controllers, etc.

Edited by thesofasurfer
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, thesofasurfer said:

Its rarer than the virtual wrestling 2. Not sure where u are getting your info from. Its also rarer than the king of pro baseball 2 you speak of. As for being part of a bigger set, that is true and false.  Like Mario kart 64, Nintendo would not include a separate box like they did for pocket stadium monsters, Mario kart 64 unless the game itself was a truly a boxed game put in a larger box to holder a controller, etc.   

Shill harder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thesofasurfer said:

the game itself was a truly a boxed game put in a larger box to that also holds additional accessories or controllers, etc.

The game was ONLY sold in the big box, with accessories NECESSARY for it to function.

Your game is incomplete. No collector worth his salt would want this incomplete product.

1 minute ago, thesofasurfer said:

What are you talking about. You find it unopened...good luck with that

Are you kidding? I pick up unopened N64 games all the time. Japanese N64 is a weak market, overpumped with NOS. Where are you getting YOUR information? Lol.

• Like 2

Just now, OptOut said:

The game was ONLY sold in the big box, with accessories NECESSARY for it to function.

Your game is incomplete. No collector worth his salt would want this incomplete product.

Are you kidding? I pick up unopened N64 games all the time. Japanese N64 is a weak market, overpumped with NOS. Where are you getting YOUR information? Lol.

Its ok, I will post another game you can bash tonight 

• Like 1

You said the Japanese market is weak. That is a very foolish statement. Where was mario and Zelda and donkey kong created?  And developed?  Japan, genius and when it comes out there first before the mighty USA. You will see in near future what these games bring now that wata is grading them and they go on various auction sites.  Just a very ignorant comment for n64 "expert" like u to say. Stop hating.  Bottomline, Mario no Photopi is the rarest N64 Mario game ever made.  In fact, the developers for Mario paint said their game is limited to 7500 and that photopi is much rarer than that.  

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

OP literally made this thread to cause outrage, so the auction gets more attention.

Also lol @ posting links saying games are rare. https://gaming.ebaumsworld.com/articles/10-incredibly-rare-games-worth-thousands-of-dollars/85487493/

has SMB Asian Version at 30k USD, for example. So many stupid posts saying they have 30k now..

• Like 1