IGNORED

Definition of a "Complete Set"?

1 minute ago, cartman said:

It seems we're just not on the same page and there's really not much else to it. Your view is that any programmed junk on a cart is part of a "full set" while for me there's really no point in a definition wich doesn't exclude anything.

I can agree to disagree.

I just think that if you're talking full, you need a few qualifiers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless you want to own everything that exists in the entire world, a "set" is nothing other than a specific list of items. You decide what items are a part of that list, and those make out the se

I can appreciate the desire for specificity, and I already agree that people should qualify these things about their NES sets, (licensed, minus SE, etc) but if someone says "I own a fullset," then wha

Common usage defines meaning though. If 99% of people use “full set” to mean “full set of NES games licensed by Nintendo” then that’s what it means. Unless you enjoy getting into arguments with everyo

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Then be prepared to answer questions. Is it including European licensed? Or just North American? Hong Kong Mah Jong included? (That was licensed.)

It's including the NA set as the default because that's the most broad library. The European releases have like half the NA amount it's a fucking joke. But yeah but would be legitimate aside from that.

I don't know about that game. I'd say yes if it was licensed.

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

Yeah that happens sometimes games become practically unobtainable. Altough people probably don't go crazy over that one even if the numbers say it's rare.

No, but they find ways to exclude it.

To me, the most egregious example are those who say Stadium Events doesn't count. Yes, they're out there. What next? Little Samson and Dino Peak?

Just now, Tulpa said:

To me, the most egregious example are those who say Stadium Events doesn't count. Yes, they're out there. What next? Little Samson and Dino Peak?

The issue is although it has its own NES ID (NES-SD) it was bought BY Nintendo and renamed and re-released.  SE and WCTM is, as far as I know, the same exact game with a different title screen.  Maybe some different text. Little Samson/F2 are its own games entirely without any variant or re-release.  Im in the SE as a variant camp anyway.  I wasn't going total NA anyway.  I think of full set as every licensed NES game that came out within its lifespan when licensed games were stopped being made for it.  1985 to 1994.  Variants arent important to me personally for that.  Like the Tengen/Namco Pacmans.  But IIRC those are both different gamewise.  Could be wrong.

AFAIK, the two Tengen Pac-Mans (the licensed and unlicensed) and the licensed Namco Pac-Man are indistinguishable once you're actually playing the game.

Tengen was (along with Bandai) the primary publisher of Namco NES games up until Namco started doing their own publishing in 1993. So I imagine they all just used the same game code.

I have no idea what the sequence of events was that led to Tengen publishing a radically different Ms. Pac-Man.

Edited by Tulpa
1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

We agree here, excluding SE is dumb

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Well there are circumstances around it that are exceptional it has this weird sub-region of Hong Kong and was barely made available to anyone. Stadium Event and the others are more straightforward in comparsion.

5 hours ago, cartman said:

Well there are circumstances around it that are exceptional it has this weird sub-region of Hong Kong and was barely made available to anyone. Stadium Event and the others are more straightforward in comparsion.

But the game was licensed and released. Tiny quantities, but it was released.

See, if you have to make excuses to exclude games, then your set isn't full. Just accept and deal with that.

Edited by Tulpa
1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

But the game was licensed and released. Tiny quantities, but it was released.

See, if you have to make excuses to exclude games, then your set isn't full. Just accept and deal with that.

Yeah if it is licensed and released it belong to the set. Those are some excuses that might be used but they still aren't valid enough to change anything.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, cartman said:

Yeah if it is licensed and released it belong to the set. Those are some excuses that might be used but they still aren't valid enough to change anything.

Agreed! and for the ultra-collector, I think they can in principle get a complete set of "commercially released licensed games" - which I denote as such to include of course homebrews such as Project Blue - which my copy should be on it's way 😄 

• Like 1

Whoa, this topic is giving me flashbacks! It's funny how little this topic has changed even over the last 20 years or so. I can only give my opinion based on my personal experience. Some of my personal ideology for collecting:

1.) Have consistent naming conventions for quick and easy reference as to what you are collecting. It's ok for sets to literally just be for fun. (Variant NES set, Standard CIB NES set, Capcom only NES set, all games that include the word "Taco" CIB set, etc)

2.) Have clear consistent definitions that would equally be able to apply to any game console set.

3.) Collecting will always be in the eye of the collector.

There are two different sides of how "much" of something needs to be collected for the collecting "end goal" to have been achieved. This depends on the collector's view. One side is the "Full True Interdimensional All Universes Any% Set" and the other is "Like, I got all 3 Mario games dude." Most people will arrive somewhere between those two points. The thing here is the words used to describe the build of each set. Some emphasis words like "Full" or "True" are unnecessary since no one has a "Empty" or "False" set of games.

An example could be: USA licensed/unlicensed variant CIB NES set. This would contain every single USA NES game licensed and unlicensed, all variants & revisions, CIB. That's a lotta copies of the same game CIB across the board! Matching those boxes and carts is gunna be a lot of work!

Personally I collect: USA licensed/unlicensed CIB NES set. This simply contains one of each "game" and excludes all redundancy in variants and revisions. This also means boxes don't need to match the cartridge revision, etc. I do own some variants(Punch-Out!!, King Neptune, Flying Scroll, etc.) They actually don't count towards my main collecting goal. They are just for fun! Most of us probably have some variants somewhere in our collection even if we don't collect them specifically.

Now onto the Stadium Events issue. This game originally wasn't a big deal(just like Little Samson), but after appearing in a lot of news articles and circulating around different collecting forums it's gained a lot of hype. With hype and rarity it's price has certainly jumped up sky high! It's rare for sure, but what is its placement in a particular set? We would need to define what a "game" is first. I would say "Punch-Out!!" is a game. If you own the one with Mr. Dream, or Mike Tyson each one is an example of "Punch-Out!!" the NES game. If you own just one of these, you own the game "Punch-Out!!". If you own only one of these however you do not own all the variants and revisions of the game "Punch-Out!!". Variants and revisions get tricky because some are very hard to spot. Here's a few examples:

jjP0Y40.png

The first one is pretty obvious, but the second one is an example of when they revised the death screen in Zelda for the NES. The last one is a total box, manual, cart art overhaul. This gets even trickier when you consider there are games with no discernible outside differences other than playing the game to a certain point that exist(Ghosts 'n Goblins original versions that have the final level poison ladder glitch, etc.)

Something else to consider is that if you hacked any version of "Punch-Out!!" and changed Don Flamenco to be another character like Ivan Drago you would simply consider this an alteration of an existing game. Not a completely new independent game.

If you want to claim you're collecting a complete NES set and that includes Stadium Events to stay consistent in your own definition you would also need to own all those small minuet variants and revisions as well. I often see Stadium Events is kind of just thrown in randomly and all the lesser known ones go ignored. I don't see any reason why it should be mandatory for anyone else who is just collecting a standard NES set to have to own it since World Class Track meet is the same "game." In fact it's more the same "game" than some of the other variants and revisions that exist out there. I don't get why Stadium Events would get any kind of special treatment or rules that would force it's inclusion into that category.

Edited by Armageddon Potato