IGNORED

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. - Available Now from Many US Retailers

I've seen a few people concerned about the availability of this when it finally launches for preorder in the US. While we still don't have a date for the official NA version, you can preorder from Amazon UK with shipping to the US. It comes out to about $70 shipped for me, but that could be a bargain if these things end up being limited or scooped up by scalper bots. You can also cancel prior to shipping if you do obtain a preorder in your country of choice.

It includes a rechargeable battery and (reportedly) a USB-C cable, so you don't need to worry about having the correct plug. There is a big PEGI symbol on the front of the box, so if you care about that, then this may not be for you. That being said, you can't put a price on peace of mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GZ3DRLW/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

71zMEV0%2ByIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81wFYLilcpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3

I recommend if you’re in the US and you think you might even slightly want this that you pre order it as soon as it goes live.

Pre orders for this went up on announcement here in Australia and were exhausted within an hour or two. No further pre orders have come up since.

This is Nintendo’s Christmas offering but no one will actually be able to get it. Classic Nintendo.

• Like 3

As much as I want this I am not chasing Nintendo anymore. If it pops up online when I happen to be paying attention or I can walk into a store on release day and grab one that's great but I will not be refreshing websites, waiting in line at 6am, or ordering one from Europe as a backup. If it doesn't happen then so be it.

• Like 1

To be fair Nintendo has been on top of stock shortages these days. They announced that the SNES Classic would be available in large quantities and urged people not to buy from scalpers. They also re-released the NES Classic.

They brought the Animal Crossing Switch back in stock and I can walk into my closest GameStop and get one in person right now.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is also available everywhere despite being announced as a limited release.

I think this Game & Watch will also be readily available even after the scalpers make their first run.

2 hours ago, bowser said:

They brought the Animal Crossing Switch back in stock and I can walk into my closest GameStop and get one in person right now.

Enjoy that while it lasts. It seems those were slated for a broad release but COVID complicated things. I wouldn't expect them to be around for much longer. 

4 hours ago, bowser said:

To be fair Nintendo has been on top of stock shortages these days. They announced that the SNES Classic would be available in large quantities and urged people not to buy from scalpers. They also re-released the NES Classic.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is also available everywhere despite being announced as a limited release.

I think this Game & Watch will also be readily available even after the scalpers make their first run.

This should be standard practice and it was still  a mess with everything you stated except Mario All-Stars which was speculation. I agree that COVID could have been the culprit for the Animal Crossing Switches but they were selling for months at almost twice the price due to limited supply. The NES and SNES minis were a disaster with initial release and the controllers were even worse. They more or less got strong-armed by public outcry to do another run of them. Amiibos were a shit show from start to finish more or less. The latest fiasco with the pins and doing rewards and then not getting a pin code.

I'd put money on not being able to find one of these Game & Watches at retail/market value within a day or two of release.

I hate it, but I'll be on that like a hawk. It's already $50 which is kind of on the acceptable high end given what it is, but knowing scalper mentality, then the year it has been, and you trifecta that human garbage behavior with it coming out like 5-6 weeks before Christmas ...how many times over exponentially will they ask and GET in price?  2x? 4x? 6x?  It could get out of hand fast because of the way Nintendo has primed it up.

If SMB1 wasn't just such a vivid first home video game memory for me, and one I can still just sit and enjoy so much I'd avoid it, but damnit I want that and I don't care if it gets to looking maybe used -- it's a game, it's super mario bros, and it's in a game & watch portable form factor.  I'm on it.

8 hours ago, bowser said:

Nintendo updated their site for the US version of the Game & Watch. It no longer says pre-order details are coming soon. Only says it will be available on November 13.

They're really cutting that FCC clearance close. Did some intern submit the wrong paperwork? This is kind of crazy for Nintendo.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I'd put money on not being able to find one of these Game & Watches at retail/market value within a day or two of release.

I doubt that. Nintendo just updated their site again saying it will continue to be shipped to stores till March 31st and will be available for purchase while supplies last.

The wording is very similar to 3D All-Stars and just take a look at that situation. There's so much stock pre-owned copies have already dropped to $40. Scalpers will initially buy them up no doubt but I don't foresee any shortages.

Edited by bowser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bowser said:

I doubt that. Nintendo just updated their site again saying it will continue to be shipped to stores till March 31st and will be available for purchase while supplies last.

The wording is very similar to 3D All-Stars and just take a look at that situation. There's so much stock pre-owned copies have already dropped to $40. Scalpers will initially buy them up no doubt but I don't foresee any shortages.

I dunno, I want to agree with this but I just can't. The reason is that I have never had an issue buying a straight game that was made by Nintendo; Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, 3D All-Stars, etc. Walk into X store or buy on Amazon, no issues. All the other stuff they put out (except the stuff that Lego makes) all the initial stock is sold out for months and even when the second and third shipments are sent, its still sold out with re-sellers clinging onto hopes that they can sell what they have for $84.99 even though MSRP was $79.99. Pandemic can't be blamed; this was exactly the scenario for NES and SNES classic. Are people still easily getting the All-Stars pins that people are going batshit over?

If we are still reliant on people to not buy from re-sellers to fix this, I'd say history repeats itself. I didn't even want the damn thing and I pre-ordered one from Amazon UK. People keep repeating that video games/Nintendo bubble will burst but these shenanigans have been going on for at least 4-5 years.

edit: It is a neat little gadget and I hope they make a Zelda Game & Watch for me to hatebuy

Edited by a3quit4s

31 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

If we are still reliant on people to not buy from re-sellers to fix this, I'd say history repeats itself. I didn't even want the damn thing and I pre-ordered one from Amazon UK. People keep repeating that video games/Nintendo bubble will burst but these shenanigans have been going on for at least 4-5 years.

Dude, these "sheenanigans" have been going on a loooong time.  Remember the Wii?  That thing was sold out for years. Literal years before you could walk into a Walmart or Target and for-certain see one on the shelf.  In fact, we got our Wii in our home 9-10 months after launch.  I walked into a Target and by luck saw two on the shelf.  The guy told me they just put them out.  Before I checked out, another guy had come up and wanted one.

Nintendo never makes enough hardware and I've argued even countless times that it's often to their financial determinant, meaning that if they could match the hype with production, they would have moved more units.  This doesn't count for the Wii, but with the NES/SNES Classics, the pins, countless other one-offs, I am starting to think that what Nintendo fails to account for every single time is a maturing fanbase.  I think they are projecting sales off of market relevancy and they give little consideration to how big the uber-fan base is.  At $50 or less, I definitely want this handheld.  It's so cool!  But, I think easily 1-2m people will feel that way, where Nintendo probably thinks it's a nice little fun product that's more of a showing for the anniversary and "might" get a "little" traction and they estimate that peak sale will be 500k units from now until March.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:38 AM, bowser said:

There is no way this product will be as readily available as 3D Allstars. I hope I am wrong but I'd pretty much bet my life that these will be limited and hard to find shortly after release regardless of what Nintendo's website says.

2 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

There is no way this product will be as readily available as 3D Allstars. I hope I am wrong but I'd pretty much bet my life that these will be limited and hard to find shortly after release regardless of what Nintendo's website says.

Agreed. Preorders are even sold out on Amazon Japan. This is a one-off item with its own form factor and they can't ramp up production like they can for yet another switch game.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

So no pre-orders up for this anywhere in North America as far as I can see. I suspect I'll go into a few stores tomorrow and no one will know what this thing is and will have no clue as to when or how many are coming if any. 

It's popping up in stock on the Nintendo store right now, but you can't check out. May be coming up for sale soon.

• Like 1